GM4718M vs GM6094M oil ???

Keats

2 June 17

I saw Mobil 1 synthetic oil at Sam's club yesterday for about $28.00 for a 6 quart box. 

It said it meets GM Spec GM6094 M.  I could not find anything on the bottle or box that said that it met GM spec GM4718 M as recommended by GM for my 2004 C5.

So does anyone know if GM6094 M supersedes GM 4718 M ?   Is this the correct oil for a 2004 C5 LS1 engine?

I looked on line and found a GM oil called Dexos. The GM web site said it was the newest oil and superseded GM 6094 M.

They also said it could be used on previous year vehicles. Hmmm??

So, do I continue to search for GM 4718 M and ignore the GM 6094 M and / or Dexos. ?, or do I use the GM 6094 M Mobile One I found at Sam's along with a new filter naturally..

There was nothing on the GM site saying if it was good enough for a Corvette..

I'm not in a hurry, time enough before an oil change is needed.    I'm still shopping for the Pittsburgh Low Profile Long Reach 2 ton jack .  It's on sale at Harbor Freight for $139.99 and I was hoping that maybe a new

%off coupon would show up in my e.mail box. Fingers crossed..

Suggestions??

Keats  :cool

Peoria

4718M is the older high performance engine oil spec, and typically consists of oils with synthetic base stocks.  6094M is more traditional passenger car motor oil.

Since the introduction of Dexos1, we have moved away from 4718M and 6094M.

Find an oil that meets Dexos1 and use it in full confidence.

2 minutes ago, Two Fangs said:

4718M is the older high performance engine oil spec, and typically consists of oils with synthetic base stocks.  6094M is more traditional passenger car motor oil.

Since the introduction of Dexos1, we have moved away from 4718M and 6094M.

Find an oil that meets Dexos1 and use it in full confidence.

Very good..

Thank you.

Keats

On 6/2/2017 at 1:51 PM, Keats said:

2 June 17

I saw Mobil 1 synthetic oil at Sam's club yesterday for about $28.00 for a 6 quart box. 

It said it meets GM Spec GM6094 M.  I could not find anything on the bottle or box that said that it met GM spec GM4718 M as recommended by GM for my 2004 C5.

So does anyone know if GM6094 M supersedes GM 4718 M ?   Is this the correct oil for a 2004 C5 LS1 engine?

I looked on line and found a GM oil called Dexos. The GM web site said it was the newest oil and superseded GM 6094 M.

So, do I continue to search for GM 4718 M and ignore the GM 6094 M and / or Dexos. ?, or do I use the GM 6094 M Mobile One I found at Sam's along with a new filter naturally..

I'm not in a hurry, time enough before an oil change is needed.    I'm still shopping for the Pittsburgh Low Profile Long Reach 2 ton jack .  It's on sale at Harbor Freight for $139.99 and I was hoping that maybe a new

Suggestions??

Peoria

I get tons of 20%off HF coupons.  Expect to get a 25% off coupon good on the next holiday - July 4th

Yea, I get the 20% off coupons all the time but they do not apply to anything that's on sale or reduced already. I'm hoping that a coupon shows up for 25% on everything.. We'll see..

Thanks

Keats

Peoria

P.S.

Went to Costco yesterday and bought three cases of 6 qts each Mobil 1 5W30 for $26.99 each.  Still have to get a few filters. Thinking about the Wix 51042.  Has good reviews and they cut a few filters open on You Tube and it was made much better than a lot of the others.

Wix is a great filter, they are just a little difficult to find at times.  I researched a long time ago, if I recall correctly the Napa Gold filters may be manufactured by Wix

*edited* Wix makes Napa Gold

34 minutes ago, TheCMSH said:

Wix is a great filter, they are just a little difficult to find at times.  I researched a long time ago, if I recall correctly the Napa Gold filters may be manufactured by Wix

*edited* Wix makes Napa Gold

Just ordered 2  Wix #51042 at Rock Auto. $4.55 Ea + Ship @ 5.99  TTL. $14.63.  Just could not beat the total cost anywhere. As usual, R.A. with the on line 5% discount codes available is the least expensive. I'm not promoting R.A. , just passing along info about my experiences...

Keats :cool

Peoria

I've ordered from RA, good pricing. 

Just FYI - you can order these on Amazon for $5.84 ea and if you have Amazon Prime the shipping is free.  I order a lot of items on Amazon so the $99 yearly fee pays for itself rapidly.

The NAPA Platinum is the same as the Mobil1 and the higher end Wix. Wix makes all three, synthetic filter media, silicone anti-drainback valve, the works. 

The NAPA is usually cheaper and available. 

1 hour ago, TheCMSH said:

I've ordered from RA, good pricing. 

Just FYI - you can order these on Amazon for $5.84 ea and if you have Amazon Prime the shipping is free.  I order a lot of items on Amazon so the $99 yearly fee pays for itself rapidly.

Amazon had them but I had to order at least $25.00 in items before the free shipping with my Prime would kick in. The filters were shown as "Add On" items.. Decided to do Wix cause of the video on the way it was made. I'm sure that all of them are ok but I wanted to get a Wix..

Peoria

2 June 17

I'm still shopping for the Pittsburgh Low Profile Long Reach 2 ton jack .  It's on sale at Harbor Freight for $139.99 and I was hoping that maybe a new

Suggestions??

Peoria

Be sure to measure the highest point on the jack and the high point of the saddle in the low position. Then measure the lowest height the cross beam adapter will add to the saddle. Before you go to HF, also measure the available space from the floor to the rear sway bar and the space needed to get under the front cradle.

On my stock height C6, I can get the jack past the rear sway bar, but it's too low if I had a cross beam on it. On the front, I have to force the larger part of the jack past the air dam just to get to the cradle and would be impossible with a cross beam. It's why I built the blocks for the front wheels. I jack up one side at a time to slip the blocks in place. If I also need the back up to get the car level, I barely have enough space to fit the jack under the rear sway bar after the front is up.

Be extra careful when using the hockey puck style with jackstands, since they don't lock into the diameter. I made some that fit both large and small jack saddles and jackstands too. Pics included.

tire - jack 005.JPG

tire - jack 004.JPG

tire - jack 003.JPG

Thank you. Great photos of how to lift the Corvette.  I like the block idea. My car has frame rails with the lifting points already in place. (previous owner..)

I can lift it and use the blocks then do the back.

Thanks again

Keats :cool

Peoria

Guest badbobs95

2 June 17

Suggestions??

Peoria

Keats, HF has the 3 ton low profile floor jack on sale for $82.99! I got one and love it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/#

Yea, I got their latest e. mail ad and the jack is there on a three day pkng lot sale. It goes from 2 7/8" to 20" and that's just about 4 inches lower than the extended reach jack but I think it will work. Can't beat the cost. the Extended jack is never offered for less than $139.00 and this one os $83.00. So I'll bite the bullet and go get it.

Thanks for the info.

Keats:cool

Peoria