Pulleys

scottcolbath

scottcolbath

I don't think I mentioned this here. I needed to replace the idler and tensioner pulleys on my truck. But I decided instead to pop off the seals, clean them out, re-grease and re-install the old ones.

Seals off, cleaned out with some blasts of brake cleaner.

IMG_20170328_104257798_HDR-XL.jpg

When I did get the pulleys thoroughly cleaned out, I did assure that the ball bearings and cage were in good shape before deciding to move forward with this little experiment.

Greased up with a high temp lithium grease before putting the seals back on.

IMG_20170328_104737996-XL.jpg

So far they are behaving perfectly in the truck. I'm going to probably try this to one of the pulleys on the Vette soon, as I have one that is just starting to make the occasional chirp.

S.C.

A couple of months ago I bought one for my Dodge truck for around $30 at Autozone.

scottcolbath
17 hours ago, TheCMSH said:

Interesting, I thought those are sealed and non-serviceable. Keep us posted 

The seals are easily removed with a gentle hand and the right tool(s), such as a dental probe and/or fine point tweezers.

I figured since getting at the pulleys on the truck is so easy, I'd use that as the test bed. If they hold up to the summer heat here, I'd have no issue then doing the same on the Vette. The pulleys on the C5 and C6 (maybe others, I don't know) are a pain to get at. I don't want to test on the Vette, only to possibly have to be back in there a few months from now, putting in another pulley.

Another thing to note is that not just the bearings need attention. The pulley wheel can lose its shape on the contact surface with the belt, meaning the entire outer perimeter of the pulley. If that happens, then just toss it. But if it's still nice and flat, and the belt will make proper contact, have at it.

S.C.

• 4 weeks later...
scottcolbath

One month in, and the pulleys are doing great.

S.C.