So I was watching...

Buccaneer

FOX news today and they had the Jesse Watters segment..."Waters World" and he was asking questions to people between the 21-25+ish range about various topics, like "Do you know what Al-Qaeda is"? With the deer in the headlight look most said to my astonishment...NO! Do you know what ISIS is? Again, No! Seriously, Really? Are you shitin' me? I bet they know all there is to know about Zombies.

I think they need to go with me on my next trip and I'll say to them...You see those guys shooting at you, they want to kill you? That's ISIS and Al-Qaeda Mutha F'er. Now, tell me about those Zombies again.

Are we dumbing down our kids that much or what. Seannn! That is all...

FOX news today and they had the Jesse Watters segment..."Waters World" and he was asking questions to people between the 21-25+ish range about various topics, like "Do you know what Al-Qaeda is"? With the deer in the headlight look most said to my astonishment...NO! Do you know what ISIS is? Again, No! Seriously, Really? Are you shitin' me? I bet they know all there is to know about Zombies.

I think they need to go with me on my next trip and I'll say to them...You see those guys shooting at you, they want to kill you? That's ISIS and Al-Qaeda Mutha F'er. Now, tell me about those Zombies again.

Are we dumbing down our kids that much or what. Seannn! That is all...

Buc,

you got suckered into selective media.

the sole reason for that broadcast is to get you aggravated.

what they did not show you is the 30+ 25 year old -ish people that answered the questions correctly.

..because that would be boring.

comon man , you know better than that.

Desertdawg

And asking Sean....

Do you really expect an intelligent answer from a teacher ??? :lol

Buc,

you got suckered into selective media.

the sole reason for that broadcast is to get you aggravated.

what they did not show you is the 30+ 25 year old -ish people that answered the questions correctly.

..because that would be boring.

comon man , you know better than that.

Yup, wouldn't have any ratings if they weren't pissing people off lol

Yeah .... facts & reality has a tendency to do that for some

Honestly, many many many are that "dumb."

It's total lack of parent involvement if you ask me. No matter how much I push, prod, coddle, tell them "you can do it," nothing seems to help.

I send 15+ emails to parents how their kid needs to get help after school, before school or something...anything. I get ZERO responses.

No one seems to give a shit anymore. These kids can't seem to remember squat anymore. I can show them how to do something. Walk them through doing it. Then ask them to do it on their own and they are LOST!!!!

that's a shame. I'm in that age group and could have answered the questions posed. Some of it may be media bullshit but some is how dumb society has become. Working in restaurants I see a lot of my age group come through and some truly are just flat out DUMB.

No, please! I get the whole drama, scripted and TV sensationalism thing and that's not the issue. I'm sure there are plenty that got it right and they didn't show that part, but it IS sad as hell to see the ones that had no clue and OBTW, some of the kids polled were from both Harvard and Yale which made me really do a face plant with the hand. Some couldn't even tell you who the first president was or who shot Lincoln which is a whole other story. I thought, surely they jest, but they were serious. Mad, yeah! But only because this is the same generation that wants a $15 min wage...really?! Does that mean I get much better service? I think not.

It's really sad to see that this counrty and the school learning system has gone down so much and what kids today don't have to learn. I don't even think they even teach handwriting anymore, just type it into a keyboard, how to use a dictionary, go to a library and use the decimal system to find a book, I bet that's a laugh...OMG! But, give them an iPod, latest cell phone or PS2 game or whatever and they are all over it and can tell you anything you want to know. Hand them a book and they are lost. Very sad and this is the next generation to run the country. Ugh! I hope they don't have to actually think or we are F$#@*!

That is all.

I'm sure most of those youngsters have a "COEXIST" bumper sticker too.

Desertdawg

Tom, are you suggesting we not evolve ???

I'm sure my dad thought the same thing as you when I asked for a calculator because the teacher said we needed one. Our parents probably thought civilization was nearing the end because no one needed to know how to stoke a wood fired stove with the advent of microwave ovens, and mayhem was on the horizon with those damned TV's hitting the market. No more wild Saturday nite's where the whole family gathered around the glow of the Philco radio tubes listening to the Tales of the Texas Rangers.

We learned about George Washinton, and Paul Revere, Some of our parents were in school before that timeframe made it to print. There has been a whole lot of history made since then that should be taught today, but the school year isn't any longer than when we went to school.

We barely had time to hear about the Vietnam war, or the Kennedy assassination, now add in stuff from the 80's, 90's and yes even the early 2000's. I'm sure you could fill a couple of school years with those 3 decades. And while what we learned was important to us and our generation, it really is ancient history to the kids of today where Apple, Microsoft, our own recession, and the Gulf War are shaping their everyday lives.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would rather see today's youth educated in our recent history, not so much the past. Sure Napoleon's life teaches a valuable lesson, but is it more valuable in today's economic and social society than the Berlin wall coming down or the 911 disaster ????

You are correct to a point Dawg, but I think we are nearing a "dependency" stage in our culture.

I've got TOO many kids that cannot do 8 - 5 without a calculator. And heaven forbid if you make it 5 - 8. :jd

I can do most of the arithmetic we use in my class in my head faster than they can type it on a calculator. It's just not right that they can't do the simplest of tasks without some sort of aide.

Just imagine the more complicated tasks they cannot do without a helper of some sort.

buc be sure to shout " hey Kids get off my lawn!" every once in a while.

I do it a lot...IS that bad? Grand Torino anyone?

This is really going nowhere so I'll just drop it. Have fun all.

Desertdawg

Damnit Tom. It was just getting good.

Sean, I agree that they still need to do basic math, grammar, and spelling to be able to function in life.

It's the start of "Idiocracy" (the movie). We seem to be well on our way.

No, please! I get the whole drama, scripted and TV sensationalism thing and that's not the issue. I'm sure there are plenty that got it right and they didn't show that part, but it IS sad as hell to see the ones that had no clue and OBTW, some of the kids polled were from both Harvard and Yale which made me really do a face plant with the hand. Some couldn't even tell you who the first president was or who shot Lincoln which is a whole other story. I thought, surely they jest, but they were serious. Mad, yeah! But only because this is the same generation that wants a $15 min wage...really?! Does that mean I get much better service? I think not.

It's really sad to see that this counrty and the school learning system has gone down so much and what kids today don't have to learn. I don't even think they even teach handwriting anymore, just type it into a keyboard, how to use a dictionary, go to a library and use the decimal system to find a book, I bet that's a laugh...OMG! But, give them an iPod, latest cell phone or PS2 game or whatever and they are all over it and can tell you anything you want to know. Hand them a book and they are lost. Very sad and this is the next generation to run the country. Ugh! I hope they don't have to actually think or we are F$#@*!

That is all.

I was watching Conan, or Leno, or Letterman or something one night and they had one of those segments where the "guy on the street" asks random people questions about people from history.

One of the questions asked of the young people was if they knew who LBJ was. Most answered with LeBron James. No shit.

I was watching Conan, or Leno, or Letterman or something one night and they had one of those segments where the "guy on the street" asks random people questions about people from history.

One of the questions asked of the young people was if they knew who LBJ was. Most answered with LeBron James. No shit.

So, that's incorrect?

History is important and there is plenty of time in the span of years in a public school education to teach all relevant history. I remember learning about the Revolutionary War in the 5th grade and in subsequent years move forward through history to present day, which for my age group included studying the Vietnam War that was currently in progress at that time. Lack of sufficient time is no excuse. I think the single biggest problem is that kids are no longer failed when they fail to learn. They are passed ahead whether they learned anything or not. As a result they graduate with a high school diploma that means absolutely nothing because they can't read, write, do basic math or have any sense of reality on how the world works.

So, that's incorrect?

It's Little Baby Jesus, didn't you see Talladega Nights?

I - intense

S - sex

I - involving

S - sheep

[drops mic, leaves stage]

I don't just pass kids on Donna. If they can't earn the points, they don't pass.

I'm not saying that others don't though. :facepalm:

But it's not just the younger ones. Look at some of the posts that we see here. There are some that I cannot even read due to complete lack of ability to write in the English language. And I'm not just talking about the occasional misuse of a word or typo here and there. (Chad being the exception :lol ) :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Sean, a few years ago there was a girl in Peoria who was not going to graduate from high school due to failing to pass a class needed for sufficient credits to graduate. Her parents threatened to sue and the teacher was ordered by the school district to give the girl a passing grade. The teacher had a choice of passing a student who was failing, or losing their job. At least that is what was reported in the news. I hope that never happens to you.