• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bromley's Corvettes

• rocknroll

• Shifty

• Desertdawg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, update on the TOO HOT problem. I have a Pace car air dam on the way, even if it doesn't help the problem, they still look cool so gotta have one. I put a 16 inch electric fan on and took it for a ride. Pushed it fairly hard and couldn't get it to go past 200 degrees. Before I couldn't get it to stay UNDER 200 on the highway. Still hotter than I'd like but it looks like that made some difference. However I was driving in 65 degree weather today. before I was in about 90 degrees. I'm sure that'll make some difference. I'll try again soon in hotter weather and give another update when the air dam goes on.

For our new guy with the crud in his block, let me know how you get that out. After I finish this one I have another rod with a small block back in Kentucky with the same problem. Gonna be workin on that one next.

See Yall soon !

Bromleys says that the fan makes no difference at highway speeds, if that's so I may still have to get a better radiator. He has a good deal on them.

Automatic car? You might want to get a bigger/better trans cooler if so, and or add a deep trans pan (not a chrome one, ribbed aluminum is better) if you don't have one already, and make sure it's not teh lowest part of teh car.

Bromley's Corvettes

200 is not bad but the true test will be when you drive it at over a 100 out;) 65 is cold lol.

Bromley's Corvettes

Automatic car? You might want to get a bigger/better trans cooler if so, and or add a deep trans pan (not a chrome one, ribbed aluminum is better) if you don't have one already, and make sure it's not teh lowest part of teh car.

Agree a deep alum tranny pan that holds 4 extra qt and a separate tranny cooler under the rad not in front of the a/c condenser so it does not block air flow does make a difference. If car not lowered the tranny pan is fine. You can also get a 7qt oil pan and use a 1qt filter so you have a 8qt system that helps some too.

I'll say it again, 200 is not hot on a C5. Even 210-220 is not technically too hot.

In summer traffic it's possible to see 230's.They were designed to be able to handle the extreme temps.

I'll say it again, 200 is not hot on a C5. Even 210-220 is not technically too hot.

In summer traffic it's possible to see 230's.They were designed to be able to handle the extreme temps.

It's a C3

Bromley's Corvettes

200 is fine on a C-3 if its like 100 out but running at 200 on a 65 day is not so great lol. If it stays running at 200 in traffic on a hot day then your fine but I bet it wont. Most of the vettes I work on will be around 160 to 170 on a 65 day and only get to 200 with a lot of slow traffic.

200 ain't bad at all...

sounds like you are on the right road to cool! Further enhancements mentioned, can only improve your cooling system.

It's a C3

Oops, why did I think this was on a C5? :banghead:

It's a C3

Drugs...

It's 85 degrees today, went slightly over 200 but still climbing. Don't think the problem is cured yet. Still waiting for the airdam to arrive. The fan helped considerably so I think there could be an airflow problem. But after talkin to Bromley, I think when it's all said and done, probably still gonna need a better radiator. I have the same one featured earlier in this topic. The one with the bottom cut off and had the bent tubes inside. I'll know pretty soon.

Oh, yeah.....it's a C-3.

It's a C3

A lot of noobs don't bother to read the entire thread when they only drop in here once every couple weeks........... :leaving

It's 85 degrees today, went slightly over 200 but still climbing. Don't think the problem is cured yet. Still waiting for the airdam to arrive. The fan helped considerably so I think there could be an airflow problem. But after talkin to Bromley, I think when it's all said and done, probably still gonna need a better radiator. I have the same one featured earlier in this topic. The one with the bottom cut off and had the bent tubes inside. I'll know pretty soon.

Oh, yeah.....it's a C-3.

How sure are you that the temp gauge is accurate?

How sure are you that the temp gauge is accurate?

Funny, I was thinking the same damn thing this morning... :thumbs

Pretty sure it's almost dead on. I used a 180 degree thermo first, when I drove around slow takin it easy the temp gauge would go to about 180-190 then it would level off and start to come back down. So I switched to a 160 degree thermo and then it would do the same at about 160-170 degrees. So it is responding in accordance with the thermostate temp. Looks like it's pretty close. If I drive on the highway on a cool day it'll get to about 200 now with the fan. If it's a hot day it'll slowly go over 200 and keep climbing. I'm thinkin airflow problem now. How does this sound to you guys ? Still waitin for the air dam to arrive.

Rock N Roll !

It's a C3

A lot of noobs don't bother to read the entire thread when they only drop in here once every couple weeks........... :leaving

Sorry, life happens. :banghead

Wow, I was a bit surprised I have to admit, but the air dam seems to be making a noticeable difference ! Between that and the 16" electric fan, I took it for a drive today and never got close to the worry zone. It was only 75 degrees today, but it never got over 190, and mostly didn't even touch that. I'm sure it's not ready for Phoenix in the Summer yet, but I'm gettin there. I'm gonna put the radiator seals on next since they're here in front of me. As well I found something else that might be making a difference. The lower radiator hose has the spring, BUT, the hose seems to be squeezed into a bind just a bit. Maybe enough to compromise the function of the spring. It may be squeezed over on it's side a bit. Don't know if it's doing it's job completely. Think I'll fix that before springing for the new radiator. I'll be back with an update in a few days.

Does anybody know an automotive electric expert anywhere ? That's my next challenge.

Does anyone know where I can order the plastic push fasteners for the radiator seals ?

Does anyone know where I can order the entire set of radiator seals ? Mid America is out of em, Year one doesn't do Vettes anymore, and so I am out of places to look so far.

For Dale68Z......I talked to one of the reps for the radiator that you had problems with. He seemed to think that your problem would be covered by their warranty. Don't know if that helps you any, but I hope it does.

Thanx for all the help so far ya'll !!!

If Doug or Hal can't get them locally try CorvetteCentral.com or Ecklers.com

I bet that lower hose is 70% of the problem.... pictures???

The seals are the other 35%....

Bromley's Corvettes

COOOOOOL lol your making progress:) Most people dont no the air dams are not just for looks they help direct air into the rad. We do all things electrical from repairs to new wiring harnesses if needed. Some problems are easy to track down some you have to keep digging to find the cause. Cars that have been messed with by Billy Bob are the worst lol. I have repaired vettes that the wiring was all hacked into and had wire nuts and elec tape holding it together;( Have you tried Corvette Performance in Scottsdale or Zip mail order?