NOTICE TO ALL ACE MEMBERS - Forum Decommissioning ×

1997-2004 CORVETTE STEERING COLUMN LOCK BYPASS w/UNLOCKER SIMPLE PLUG AND PLAY

Kahuna1

We (JL and I) did the install last night and it went pretty smooth but we did have some issues. First as Im the second owner of the car I know nothing of the previous history. When I got the car I had the steering lock alarm - but my steering would not lock - you could turn the wheel - lock to lock with no problem - we did follow the procedure that came with the bypass but on the step where you plug into the alarm and to the cigarette lighter we di not hear or experience an unlock (Because I think it had already been unlocked) we tried it a couple of times with no change - so we reintalled the knee pad - the alarm is still present with the bypass installed - so the instruction say to pull all thees plugs from the box located on the passenger side and let discharge for a few hours - i disconnecte them last night and have not reconnected as of yet - hopefully this will make the alarm disappear.

JLs Mistress

Did you charge your battery ? See those plugs weren't that hard ...

Yes I took it out on the highway for a while on the way home - Cruised 101 - I17 - 303 - then home.

Any luck getting this to work yet? If not you might want to try and hook up the actuator again the way the factory had it. Then you should hear the actuator moving when you put the key in or out I think. If you don't hear anything then maybe it's actually toast and not working at all.

I think it might have already had something done to release that lock - Ted Yoder looked at it and said it definetly doessnt lock - and it is free - I guess my question is - I still have the alarm and regardless of whether the lock "Clicked,Disengaged" the bypass should clear the lock alarm - Correct? and it doesn't - even after I detached the three cables vernight - on start up I got reove key and wait ten seconds - I did and then it powered up and I still have the lock alarm.

I got an email from the manufacturer - they stated that a GM recall to remove the K Harness must be done prior to this install for the bypass to work - anybody know about this?

1998 built on or after 5/28/98 (CSC 01044 was not performed)
Install wire kit (part#88952428) and reprogram

I guess this is what I need done it basically changes the K harness but then says it has to be reprogrammed - do I have to have that performed by a dealership.

Will a dealer perform a recall if im not the original owner?

Okay, yup, you do need to remove the K harness, forgot about that piece of crap. It should look like this if there is one there. It is most likely installed and routed to the left side of your steering column. That's where mine was. It will be tucked into the aluminum structure just below the column. Throw it away if it's there because you will never need it again.

tn_full_harnessk.jpg

If you see something like this installed along with your CLB then you will have to remove this part and start over again. You should hear the actuator moving when this harness is not in the picture.

I got an email from the manufacturer - they stated that a GM recall to remove the K Harness must be done prior to this install for the bypass to work - anybody know about this?

1998 built on or after 5/28/98 (CSC 01044 was not performed)

Install wire kit (part#88952428) and reprogram

I guess this is what I need done it basically changes the K harness but then says it has to be reprogrammed - do I have to have that performed by a dealership.

Will a dealer perform a recall if im not the original owner?

Mine went out when I was getting ready to drive it to Arizona from Nebraska. Dealer took it and installed the new K harness because mine was supposedly toast. They will charge you for it since the recall has been expired for a while. I didn't have anyone do any other tuning to my car before I installed the CLB and it worked great. So I guess I don't understand why they told you to take it to the dealer for this????

Thank you - Recognise tht part to pull as I wrapped my my piece the same way in foam - I told JL John - hey they did it this way at the factory - so I just pull it and repeat the procedure - correct?

And by the way - thank you for all of your help.

Yup, take that part completely out of the equation, throw it in the trash and start over. Should be good to go after that.

You're welcome too...That's what we're here for.

I think it might have already had something done to release that lock - Ted Yoder looked at it and said it definetly doessnt lock - and it is free - I guess my question is - I still have the alarm and regardless of whether the lock "Clicked,Disengaged" the bypass should clear the lock alarm - Correct? and it doesn't - even after I detached the three cables vernight - on start up I got reove key and wait ten seconds - I did and then it powered up and I still have the lock alarm.

So after I did what I thought I was the complete on the mod - I still had the alarm - the instructions said if alarm is still presnt then unplug all 3 plugs onthe passenger side and wait for at least an hour - plug in and see if alarm is still present - it was - I got the REMOVE KEY AND WAIT FOR 10 SECONDS ALARM - I waited - Then reinserted the key and got the Steering lock alarm - except this time, by removing the three plugs and then reattaching them I had activated the fuel cut off system - it cuts off at 2 miles an hour - luckily I had only left my drive way - still a pain in the A$$ - but I did mange to get it back in the garage and remove the K-Harness - another pain in the a$$ as it is attaced to the frame under the steering wheel - but after a few choice words and some scary prying - I got it.

Once the K-Harness was removed I installed the bypass and everying was wonderful in my world.

I want to thank John(JL's Mistress) for assisting be - Both times - I also want to than Mark(mrhusker) - if Mark wouldnt have remembered and told me about the K-Harness it would still be in my garage. Also a shout out to BadBod as he put up with my various phone calls and told everthing was going to be alright.

Bottom Line - Mission Accomplished

That's great news. Sorry I forgot about that K harness the first time. Glad you are back on the road again. No worries now. You can take it to a tuner and have them set the 2 mph fuel shutoff to anything you want. I had mine set at 200 mph. That way if you ever get the dreaded column lock message again you will be able to at least drive the thing to a place you can work on it and won't be stuck.

Mag red 02 vert

Amazing! Never thought about changing the fuel cutoff. My CLB has been working for a year now so I won't mess with it.

Must be nice effing with it in 110f!

I didn't have my fuel cutoff adjusted either, but if I ever get around to a NicD tune (after some mods), I'll do that.

You would have to have someone who has a tuner - set that parameter for you.