EFI update...

Donbecker

Don't need the MSD wires. Get the Taylor. They are cheaper in price but are very good quality.

You could also get some plug wires already made for a 1986 Corvette and go that route.

I ordered the balancer, all the manuals are saying I have to pull the radiator, we'll see.

I'll be getting the wires at loper's tomorrow.

Sounds to me like you should check for a streched or poss. jumped timing chain. The cam gear is made of nylon and can easily wear enough to cause the symptoms you mention. In all honesty on an old small block chevy that is probably more likely than a bad balancer. I only mention this out of experience with similar symptoms on similar motors. You can check this by pulling off the dist. cap and turning the motor back and forth. If you can turn the motor, even a little bit, with the ign. rotor not moving than you have some timing chain slack. Just thought I would add my $0.02, FWIW. Good luck & hope it all ends up working out. See Ya... Joe.

Joe, thanks for the reply!

I've already ordered the balancer, but if I get that far I'm going to replace the cam gear, crank gear and timing chain as well.

Right now I've decided that I'll be replacing the distributor ($97 special from Jeg's) as well as the plug wires.

I'll see how it goes from there.

BTW did anyone happen to download my log file and look at it? I thought you guys might get a kick out of it... ;)

Just an update, got the taylor plug wires down at Loper's, was like $57 out the door. Worked great.

Got the HEI ordered from Jeg's, should be here by Thurs. or Friday. Same day the balancer comes in.

Loper's said they had the timing chain (double roller), the cam and crank gear for $20...which seems alot lower than anyone else. Anyone bought that kind of stuff from them before? Good quality?

I'm off to read some manuals....btw, ran another datalog after the wires, the tach spiking is still going on around 2500 and up, but the car runs considerably smoother.

A cheap double roller is more than enough on a low to moderate reving T.P.I. setup and alot better than stock... Joe.