Weatherstripping

Guest racingchester

92ZR1Wannabe
I've inherited Chris's weatherstripping issues -- $440 for this kit probably isn't bad, based on my limited shopping-around-for-it experience. We definately need to get together and do this. Sooner, rather than later (it's hot already). I assume that besides the weatherstripping kit, we'll need some sort of adhesive? Anything else I'm be forgetting?

(should schedule at least 2 weeks out for me, to give me time to order/receive the kit -- this weekend and the next are bad anyway).

Get a rock chip on the windshield.

They came to replace my windshield in my car , saw the weather stripping was smoked. So they reordered the kit and replaced the piece that goes up the a pillers and across the top of the windshield for free.

This is by far the hardest piece to replace due to having to remove the windshield to get it done.

Only 2 pieces i need to do now are the 2 that run along the window sides ot the removable top.

Only 2 pieces i need to do now are the 2 that run along the window sides ot the removable top.

...same here.

I gotta leak - not wind, but water. :bang

I've  inherited Chris's weatherstripping issues -- $440 for this kit probably isn't bad, based on my limited shopping-around-for-it experience.  We definately need to get together and do this.  Sooner, rather than later (it's hot already).  I assume that besides the weatherstripping kit, we'll need some sort of adhesive?  Anything else I'm be forgetting?

(should schedule at least 2 weeks out for me, to give me time to order/receive the kit -- this weekend and the next are bad anyway).

They came to replace my windshield in my car , saw the weather stripping was smoked. So they reordered the kit and replaced the piece that goes up the a pillers and across the top of the windshield for free.

This is by far the hardest piece to replace due to having to remove the windshield to get it done.

coltrey - this is a GREAT idea - do you have ZERO GLASS deductible? there is a small chip on the drivers side - and from what i hear, no one will "authorize" a repair on the drivers side, as it will never be as clear as a "whole" windshield - maybe this could be your option - check with your insurance co.

if necessary, you could follow a gravel truck around the valley and pray for a chip (but knowing how murphy's law works that probably will end up chipping the paint more than the windshield!)

That's probably not the best solution ...

Windshield replacement can be tricky, I've heard -- at least if I do the work, I've only myself to blame if it's poor. (in terms of total cost (assuming I don't force my insurance company to replace the glass) it's probably cheaper to just do the stripping anyway)

So,

Tools required:

* Stripping kit

* Some sort of adhesive

* Adhesive remover (something safe for paint and glass)?

* Any weird tools required for removing the windshield?

* Some primer in case of any scratching of the metal pieces? (I assume there's metal pieces under/around the windshield)

* Other?

Might be a good time to consider a drain kit...anyone have experience/insight into that?

If May 6 or 7 is a good day for everyone (Saturdays are better for me, I can make time on Sundays) ... I say let's do it then.

coltrey - this is a GREAT idea - do you have ZERO GLASS deductible?

Nope -- my deductibles are high (I'm young, you know -- about the only way to keep the insurance affordable). (not to mention the ethical considerations...)

92ZR1Wannabe

Nope -- my deductibles are high (I'm young, you know -- about the only way to keep the insurance affordable). (not to mention the ethical considerations...)

Deductibles on comp and glass are usually 2 different things.

IE: I have a $250 deductible on a comp claim, but i have a $0 deductible on glass.

When i had my windshield replaced I had NO IDEA they would replace the weather stripping also. Turns out after talking to the guy doing the work its a pretty common thing to do on a c4 when replacing a windshield.

So this could very well be the best way of getting it done. After watching them do the work , I would rank it pretty high on the suck factor. And if you mess up , your out a windshield anyway.

Some jobs are best left to those that do them for a living.

yeah, like he said, the 2 deductibles are very different - i had $0 glass when i owned it, and $250 deductible on comp and collision.

i wouldn't say it's unethical - just premature - as it only has a chip in the glass - unless there are more that i didn't catch - it might be worth a try to at least call your agent and ask them about the deductible and/or consequences of replacing the glass on your premiums - after all, that's why we pay premiums isn't it?

as Chris Rock (i think) says....."It shouldn't be called insurance, it SHOULD be called, in case $h1T Happens!"

Deductibles on comp and glass are usually 2 different things.

IE: I have a $250 deductible on a comp claim, but i have a $0 deductible on glass.

Talked to my agent and I apparently don't have glass coverage -- probably because I figured replacing a windshield is cheaper than paying for coverage ($37/mo). I've never had to replace a windshield in the seven or so years I've owned a car (A savings of ~$3000 -- surely a windshield replacement is significantly cheaper than that...but having never replaced one, I have no idea)

Given what you've said about it, I'm probably not opposed to having someone else do the stripping around the windshield, but I'd still like to do the rest.

92ZR1Wannabe

LOL

in the last 5 years of just driving to work.

1998 Nissian Altima = 3 Windshields (2 of them back to back withen a 2 days of each other)

2000 Ford Tauris = 2 Windshields ($800 bucks a piece)

1992 Corvette = 1 Windshield (Think the bill was $680 or something like that)

2004 Ford Focus = 2 Windshields (don't remember the cost)

1997 Dakota = 1 Windshield (shoulda left it broke , the entire truck was a pile of shit)

No effect on the premium. Its a saftey hazard. Your insurance company would rather pay a little on a windshield then pay alot for a major claim.

I get my money outa glass coverage ! :)

LOL

in the last 5 years of just driving to work.

1998 Nissian Altima = 3 Windshields (2 of them back to back withen a 2 days of each other)

2000 Ford Tauris = 2 Windshields ($800 bucks a piece)

1992 Corvette = 1 Windshield (Think the bill was $680 or something like that)

2004 Ford Focus = 2 Windshields (don't remember the cost)

1997 Dakota = 1 Windshield (shoulda left it broke , the entire truck was a pile of shit)

No effect on the premium. Its a saftey hazard. Your insurance company would rather pay a little on a windshield then pay alot for a major claim.

I get my money outa glass coverage ! :)

i never got my money out of glass coverage - but now that you mention it, i'm gonna start!

i have the zero deductible - but i'm usually afraid to make a claim! :crazy

I've made four claims in the last three years and they haven't said boo. I have the zero deductible also.

I've replced the front (A pillar) w/s on mine and you don't take out the windshield to do it. You take off the trim around the ws.Three months later the ws took a hit and they replaced the glass and put on a new w/s and saved the old one for me to use later if I need it. Robert :burnout

In case anyone needs some "other" help, I can show you how to acquire a rock chip in just the right place....Just ask Bryan :thumbs

In case anyone needs some "other" help, I can show you how to acquire a rock chip in just the right place....Just ask Bryan :thumbs

i know other ways too - ride behind the guys with the super sticky tires - like Phil, Glenn, or myself!

when we went to Gila Bend a couple years ago, i was behind Phil in my Mustang, i got a nice bullseye on the windshield as we rolled past the prison out on 85 or whatever that freeway is.

In case anyone needs some "other" help, I can show you how to acquire a rock chip in just the right place....Just ask Bryan  :thumbs

i know other ways too - ride behind the guys with the super sticky tires - like Phil, Glenn, or myself!

when we went to Gila Bend a couple years ago, i was behind Phil in my Mustang, i got a nice bullseye on the windshield as we rolled past the prison out on 85 or whatever that freeway is.

Ouch I never new that. :eek

I usually will tell other Vettes not to stay too close to me because I will most likely kick up rocks. :burnout

Phil... :devil

In case anyone needs some "other" help, I can show you how to acquire a rock chip in just the right place....Just ask Bryan  :thumbs

I usually will tell other Vettes not to stay too close to me because I will most likely kick up rocks. :burnout

oh, sure, tell the vettes but not the mustangs! :cuss

:leaving

oh, sure, tell the vettes but not the mustangs! :cuss

:leaving

That response was funny

:smilelol:thumbs:smilelol:thumbs:smilelol

To bring this thread back on-topic ...

Weathstripping.

Who has knowledge? When/where can we do it? Who wants in?

Guest racingchester

I did a drain kit on mine. Takes about 10 minutes. Chuck

I need to replace the weatherstripping along the windows. Any experience??