88 , A dead battery after 3 days!

pcassano

:banghead

I am at a loss. I have had this 88 for 6 months and over the last 4 it has developed a scenario I don't understand. It started with a bad alternator. Replaced it. Then i brought the car home and within 3 days it had a dead battery. Returned to the repair shop and they stated that the battery was bad, replaced it. Brought it home thinking it was fixed, didn't drive it for 3 weeks. Dead battery! Jumped it and it started right up, let it charge from the jump for 10-15 minutes. Drove it for a few days, parked it for 3, DEAD Battery! Took it back to the repair shop. They put the car on a machine that monitors the car for loos and drain, nothing was found. During the test they discovered that the underhood light was coming on, with the hood down. They have disconnected the lights and sent me on my way, 3 days later, DEAD BATTERY! Returning the car to the shop this monday again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on common issues with that vintage C4 1988 TPI vehicle??? Please help....

Sort of ran into this same issue except with the glove box light in a C5. Did they test the battery again? I bet your battery has been ruined again by the constant current draw.

Here's my story, similar to yours. Went to start the car one day, nothing, dead battery. 6 year old battery, figured its day had come. Installed new battery. After sitting for 5 days, new battery is dead as a door nail. Figured new battery, maybe it wasn't fully charged, charged it, got the car started. Let sit for 3 days, dead as a door nail.

Did a current draw test with volt/amp meter, found .5 amp draw that led to the glove box light. Disconnected light, current draw returned to normal. Problem fixed right? Let the car sit for 3 days after a full battery charge, dead! Argh!

Being drawn down so often ruined the new battery. Replaced with an optima battery, haven't had an issue since. Returned the NAPA battery, exchanged for a new one. Said battery was bad :leaving, replaced no questions asked. New NAPA battery now sits in the 72 and works great.

Keith

3,503 lbs of trouble
I am at a loss. I have had this 88 for 6 months and over the last 4 it has developed a scenario I don't understand...DEAD BATTERY!

Does anyone have any suggestions on common issues with that vintage C4 1988 TPI vehicle??? Please help....

:lol I hate to say it, but you are chasing a phantom. Corvettes in general are notorious for mysteriously draining batteries. I've seen it in multiple generations, especially C5s! Chances are you will not find the cause. Better you learn how to live with the characteristic. My '79 loved to drain batteries. I called it the Optima killer. I should have bought a Yellow Top for it instead of a Red so all the deep battery drains would not have prematurely killed it. The solution was a battery cut off switch. My friend has a '01 Vert. Same deal. Weekend driver, but by the weekend, DEAD! New alternators, batteries, etc, and still the same. Dealer said it was a power seat motor staying on, but it wasn't. They finally threw their hand up and told him that he simply has to drive the car every 2 or 3 days. He told them it's not a daily, it's a weekend car and that's :bs

Don't know if you can install a battery cut off switch with all the computers you have on board, but if you can, get a good professional switch installed and use it. If not, perhaps a trickle charger?

With all the stuff that actually stays on when the car is off, clock radio, computer components, etc... it is possible one has a short. It is a known issue that something as small as a clock radio will drain the battery but it should not do that in a couple of days.

I agree with KNKAYOTTE, if the battery went dead several times, it will ruin a cell. One bad cell will wreak havoc on trying to find the short.

Does turn the engine and then go dead right away or does it not have any power right when your turn the key???

Andrew

PS. From one newbie to another, welcome aboard.....

:burnout:burnout

_________________ Finish line!!

My '79 loved to drain batteries.

What draws current on a 79 once it's turned off? Just curious, don't know enough about the different years. My 72 has zero current draw when off.

What draws current on a 79 once it's turned off? Just curious, don't know enough about the different years. My 72 has zero current draw when off.

Hey Keith-I know that the light in the glove box can get stuck 'on' simply from weight being on the door. Over time, the thing just stays on-weight or no weight. That was the problem with our 73 when it drained batteries. ;)

We have a similar problem with my 68 Olds, but have never managed to track it, so if we know it will be parked, the battery is disconnected. cheap fix for us cheap-o's. :D

pcassano - Good luck finding the draw. I agree that finding a way to disconnect or continuous charge the battery is the least frustrating solution. That's from a 'ease of use' perspective, as well as the 'I don't want to waste every weekend looking for this stupid problem when I could be driving' perspective. :burnout

Melissa

3,503 lbs of trouble

C3 dome lights were notorious for draining batteries. Mine was removed, but still the battery would drain.

I think you take a fair shot at finding the drain. If you don't find it after several good tries, I say you give up and add a cut off switch, or use a trickle charger and simply accept it.

I don't think we have had any issue with a dead battery on Melissa's and it only gets started once a month....

I'm surpised it hasn't had a dead battery in it yet.....

Andrew