C4 modification.

Tim

I was reading an article in Vette mag, where a guy was touting some mods he made to his cross fire (L83).

One thing he claims worked well was "cold-air modification. He stated "cutting an opening in the top of the radiator shroud to match the one at the front of the hood where the ducting comes together. Use weatherstripping to ensure a good seal when the hood is closed. this is worht 0.1 second and 1 mph in the quarter mile."

Anyone every heard of such a modification?

Tim

All you have to do is empty the ash tray and you should be 0.1 second faster...

I wouldn't cut anything visible like the top of the shroud unless you have a spare to play with.

CFI cheap mods, replace the fuel pump with a late model C4 pump, port the intake manifold yourself, gut the cat.

If you can wrench, the factory CFI cam and heads really really suck, you could gain an easy 40 to 60 hp with a set of stock L98's and a decent cam without tuning.

Or talk to Tom (Buccaneer) about a killer manifold and upgrading to a tune-able puter...

I wouldn't cut anything visible like the top of the shroud unless you have a spare to play with.

CFI cheap mods, replace the fuel pump with a late model C4 pump, port the intake manifold yourself, gut the cat.

If you can wrench, the factory CFI cam and heads really really suck, you could gain an easy 40 to 60 hp with a set of stock L98's and a decent cam without tuning.

Or talk to Tom (Buccaneer) about a killer manifold and upgrading to a tune-able puter...

LOL...yeah...even more if I remove lint on the carpet.

I couldn't see where I'd need to hack it anyway.

He does go to suggest using 1.6 roller-tipped rockers (full rockers you'd have to modify the covers.) and porting and gasket-matching the intake, will give you another 1/2 a second.

What about changing out the CFI pump withTPI pump? I don't want to mess with chip.

pay attention to the fine print on this one... :agree

:highfive:

He does go to suggest using 1.6 roller-tipped rockers (full rockers you'd have to modify the covers.) and porting and gasket-matching the intake, will give you another 1/2 a second.

What about changing out the CFI pump withTPI pump? I don't want to mess with chip.

The TPI pump was what I meant to say, later C4 style, it will hold the fuel pressure at the minimum 14psi, where the CFI pump will drop as low as 9psi at full throttle. the throttle bodies really like 14 psi...

The 1.6 rockers will help, rollers or even just the stamped steel version, your getting more lift from the cam that way. But your best bang would be a better grind cam, of course thats pulling the front off the motor...

Don't worry about the chip, they all suck, the factory computer has the ability to adapt to most of the bolt on mods you can throw at it, inculding heads and a mild cam. But to extract the most performance out of your mods Tom and Jim have the know how to swap in a newer GM computer that will allow laptop tuning....

• Downvote 1

Being a CFI car, you ever think of puttin one of these on it?

ForSale.jpg

Harsh...just...plain harsh........but there are days when I'd say..."free to a good home" or "will trade for bicycle"

FOR SALE...OUCH! That hurt and I'll probably be scared for life now. :smilelol Dwayne is correct about the 85-87 corvette TPI pump, it works great with a stock or slightly modded CFI motor with a FP setting of 14-15psi. If you decide to go with something more extreme like the 383 and up motors, go with the LT1 pump for FP settings from the 20-30psi range. I'm running 90lb injectors at 28psi which is roughly flowing 124lbph vs. a stock injector flowing roughly @60. The TPI pump will not keep up with the demand under WOT at those higher settings and will go very lean in the 5,500-6,000 rpm range. Both of these pumps are direct fits for the 82 and 84 corvette in tank units.

There are a lot of mods you can do to a CFI motor, some aren't worth doing and others are, with that said...I'd do the ashtray mod first. :yesnod:) Porting a stock manifold is your biggest bang for buck besides moving to something else. Ok, now for my shameless plug...Our new manifold the Renegade garnered a full 1/2 second just by switching from the XRam manifold to ours and doing nothing else, that’s a lot plus we picked up two more mph @107. Our manifold isn't ready for purchase yet, but should be hopefully soon. We are going to do the last of the testing on Phill's motor in two weeks so we will have the data on a stock motor and see how it performs.

Moving on...the cold air mod on the 84 is a nice mod, but going to a BIG mouth under the front end is another nice mod and keeps the motor cooler. A good choice as mentioned in cams is the 2040 and you can still use the stock ECM and throw our chip ( another shameless plug) in it and gain a few more ponies. Now on to the EMC tuning with a laptop. I honestly wouldn't recommend going to the 1227747 or 1228746 ECMs unless you are ready to enter the Dark Side of tuning. There are a lot of advantages to be had by doing this, but the reason I say that is this, there are NO basic tunes readily available for the stock motors and very few "reliable" (key word reliable) starter BINs for the modded motors that work well. So what this means is...you are on your own to get started which if you nothing about tuning is a rather daunting task to undertake. On the flip side, there are BINs available for the 383 motors with various cam selections which are becoming more popular with the CFI crowd. Another popular mod is to go to a 2" TB or larger. I run 2.13" TBs...BTW we do TB boring as well along with complete TB refurbs. :thumbs

Heads are another choice that will give you more bang, the stock heads suck to be honest. A good choice at a good price are RHS heads, they will perform well and we've used them on one of the project cars we did for Corvette Fever magazine. Of course there are tons of others to choice from as well. It just comes down to how much you want to spend and how deep are your pockets. I use Dart Pro1s, but that's just me and Jim uses Trick Flow. And while on this subject, it would be a good idea not to go above 180 on the runners, the reason being that the CF is a "wet system" which means it relys heavily on velocity to keep the AF in suspension as it travels through the manifold. If you drop out of suspension, the motor falls on its face and you lose power. I opted to go with a 180 runner even though its a 383 to keep that velocity up as much as possible, Jim opted to go with a 195 runner on his and is on that hairy edge.

If you would like to know more about CFI, jump on here...http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/index.php There is a ton of info there and you can ask all the questions you like about CFI and you won't see a FOR SALE sign in the thread. :smilelol With all the good mods done to a CF, you can expect to get under 13.5 at the track, this also includes moving to another gear choice. 12s are easily done with a 383 and the new best time with a CF is now 12.20 in a 84 corvette, NO bottle, ALL CFI. :clap Not bad for a system that is know for no power.

One last side note, Jim and I have been tossing it around and we may be doing our CF Workshops again and if you want to get that CF running well, bring it over and we'll check it out and make the necessary adjustments/tune.

FOR SALE...OUCH! That hurt and I'll probably be scared for life now. :smilelol

Oh...That's just Chris...being Chris......he's basically a good guy with homophobic issues but..nothing serious<grin>

Tom,

I read the postings about your new intake and it's surely on my list. (is it done yet?....how about now???......and now??) I don't want to go too far with mods .....otherwise..I'd get an LS7 and pop it in.<grin>....but I just want at little more of what the 350 can do. I'm not into the hightec tuning either, although it would be great to be in front of Chris, instead of the ass view I normally have, not much of a view and it always look like an solar eclipse...if you like that kind of thing <grin>.

I'm looking for a used set of injectors, towers and regulators for it and I'll pick up a couple rebuild kits.

I look forward to being one of the first few customers for that intake.

Tim

Oh...That's just Chris...being Chris......he's basically a good guy with homophobic issues but..nothing serious<grin>

Tom,

I read the postings about your new intake and it's surely on my list. (is it done yet?....how about now???......and now??) I don't want to go too far with mods .....otherwise..I'd get an LS7 and pop it in.<grin>....but I just want at little more of what the 350 can do. I'm not into the hightec tuning either, although it would be great to be in front of Chris, instead of the ass view I normally have, not much of a view and it always look like an solar eclipse...if you like that kind of thing <grin>.

I'm looking for a used set of injectors, towers and regulators for it and I'll pick up a couple rebuild kits.

Tim

Tim, the manifold isn't ready for production yet, but hopefully soon. We are going to be testing it on Phill's stock motor in two weeks as the final testing. After that, if all is OK we will be talking with a company to make the mold and start the casting process. If interested, watch for more info either here, our site under "News" or the CFI forum. $40 for that stuff sounds ok, just be ready to possibly have to refurb them...if so give me a call and we'll hook you up.

Tom,

Tim

Tim, the manifold isn't ready for production yet, but hopefully soon. We are going to be testing it on Phill's stock motor in two weeks as the final testing. After that, if all is OK we will be talking with a company to make the mold and start the casting process. If interested, watch for more info either here, our site under "News" or the CFI forum. $40 for that stuff sounds ok, just be ready to possibly have to refurb them...if so give me a call and we'll hook you up.

Will do Thanks Tom.