Arizona Motorsports Park

Guest 1FASTC4

Guest 1FASTC4

Have any of you ever been to this park? It was shut down a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I had to take my nephew home from my house to his and it's such a nice day that I rolled the vette out. From Surprise to his mom and dad's house, I take Sarival to Camelback, to Dysart etc... this takes me right past the park.

My nephew Sean noticed the gates were open but he had to get home for a Dr appt so we didn't stop. However, on the way home I went by again and the gates were still open, so I motored on in(right past the "by invite only" signs).

There was one car on the track, a bondurant instructor's car. It pulled off the track and next to me in the paddock and I explained to the driver that I drove past this track about every day and just wanted to see it. He explained that they weren't open. I told him "OK" and started to fire up the vette(had shut it off to speak w/ him).

The guy said "Wait a sec, I'll take you for a ride around, jump in." I introduced myself to Dan and jumped in. Dan didn't say as much but it became apparent that he is the/one of the owners of the track. He took me for a tour of the facility then explained that he had been scrubbing in a new set of Toyo's and asked me if I wanted to go for a few laps. I told him to let it rip and we proceeded to do a dozen laps or so with Dan narrating what he was doing(I told him I had never been on a track before) and why he was doing it. He gave me many pointers, all the while racing around the track.

What a thrill! It was like the world's best E ticket ride. Those of you that road race know what I'm talking about... keep in mind I'd never been on a track before so I was very much like a child at Christmas.

Dan couldn't have been a nicer guy. He patiently answered the many questions I fired at him as he negotiated the track. Dan explained to me why they were shut down and what was going on.

Here's the abridged version:

Realtors at a nearby housing development complained about the noise and the county pulled the track's permit as a result. Well, when the permit was issued, there was no noise restrictions listed so the permit was pulled illegally and a lawsuit resulted. so far the track has won all 4 summary judgements and the final court date is set for next August. In the mean time, since the track has prevailed thus far, they have petitioned the court to order the county to return the permit until the court date. Soon, there could be racing at the track again!

Today has been a great day.

Steve

Very Cool!

Thanks for the report!!

They should win the whole bag!!

That would be like buying next to the airport then complaining about the noise!!

I'll bet the local noise ordinance was written AFTER the original permit was issued and the subdivision ENCROACHED into the track's space!!

I wish the owners well!!

Ken

Living close to this track, I was saddened by its closure. I guess the folks in the direct area couldn't put up with the jet noise (Luke) during the week and then the racing on the weekends. Oh well hopefully they can find a new home for this in the west valley!

interesting - and if that wasn't disclosed to the purchasers when they signed contracts then the next lawsuit will be filed shortly against the realtor(s) or home builders that didn't give FULL DISCLOSURE

can we get more details as to where this is - maybe we can have a look at google earth to see the layout?!

I was wondering how long ago was it that they had to close down??? That is an interesting story.

We hope for the best for the owners as well.....

Andrew

Guest 1FASTC4

Togo, the track is on the North side Cf camelback, just a bit East of Sarival.

Sarival is 4 or 5 miles West of Dysart.

Think the south end of Luke AFB and you'll be looking in the right spot.

I raced there with the auto-crossers twice before it was shut down, Dan has a killer skid pad.

The original permit was for personal use with friends, and Dan opened it up to all. The biggest noise makers were on the track, and mostly the bikes. At that tine the closest housing was over 1/2 mile away, and they started crying like you wouldn't believe.

They organized and went after their elected officials who originally shut him down. Right now Dan can use it again (with very few friends). Hopefully we get to run there again in the future, but don't hold your breath, I guess you noticed all the new housing just across the street...

Me and the rest of the guys on the AzsoloII forum have followed Dan's plight since it first started....

There is now a company from Seattle that is going to build a new track about halfway between Gila Bend and Buckeye, I think they are planning on opening it sometime in 07...

Guest XLR8TNC5

Yeah, I remember when this track opened up. Mark and I were very interested in checking it out and could always hear those bikes running on the weekends and every now and then on the weeknights. IT didn't bother us that we heard them, it bothered us that we weren't there enjoying it. lol.

There were VERY minimal houses around that area when he built that track. When it closed we figured it was due to the encroachment of the neighborhoods and all the "wussies" probably complaining.

What pisses me off is the f'ers who complain about that and LUKE AFB. Why the F don't they do their homework before they buy the F'n houses.

Stuff like this makes me want to smack people.

Let Dan know, we all support him and wish him the best. I would love to go spectate out there sometime. I don't want to actually get on the track because then the 1/4 mile would feel boring..... :D and I LOVE my DRAG racing.....

T

What pisses me off is the f'ers who complain about that and LUKE AFB. Why the F don't they do their homework before they buy the F'n houses.

:agree I lived in El Mirage for a while about ten years ago I kinda like hearing the jets flying over head.You could wave at them and they would rock the plane side to side waving back.

Sounds like fun what kind of car was he running?"

Yeah, I remember when this track opened up. Mark and I were very interested in checking it out and could always hear those bikes running on the weekends and every now and then on the weeknights. IT didn't bother us that we heard them, it bothered us that we weren't there enjoying it. lol.

There were VERY minimal houses around that area when he built that track. When it closed we figured it was due to the encroachment of the neighborhoods and all the "wussies" probably complaining.

Stuff like this makes me want to smack people.

Let Dan know, we all support him and wish him the best. I would love to go spectate out there sometime. I don't want to actually get on the track because then the 1/4 mile would feel boring..... :D and I LOVE my DRAG racing.....

T

:rolf:rolf:rolf

GO TANYA, love what you're sayin' - but don't hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel!

LMAO when I read that post. Since I'm still working PT at the AZ Science Center, I still get a regular dose of "stupid is as stupid does". I could share some great examples with you - like the guy asking a staff member where the restrooms are and theres a f'n lighted sign right 5 feet behind him

...there really should be more Darwin Awards, even perhaps on a daily basis and a little chlorine in the gene pool might help too.

MH

LMAO when I read that post. Since I'm still working PT at the AZ Science Center, I still get a regular dose of "stupid is as stupid does". I could share some great examples with you - like the guy asking a staff member where the restrooms are and theres a f'n lighted sign right 5 feet behind him

Hey!!! That was me askin where the restrooms are!!! :smilelol

(Just kiddin' that wasn't really me......)

I like the looks of that track... Those hair pin turns look awesome.....

Andrew