Yet another 72 Vette update

knkayotte

Well, it was a good weekend. Installed a new Holley carb, new plug wires, tweaked the timing, and adjusted my idle. Much easier when you have a timing light with an tach on it. Man she runs sweet now. Plug color looks perfect. Adjusted the timing wrong the first time and had a nice little bon fire in the carb, ouch. Won't do that again, didn't cause any damage thank god.

Sorry Bryan couldn't get the quad jet to work right. Was waaaaaaay to rich for my car, left two nice black spots on my garage floor. Almost choked me out of the garage, tearful experience. I'll get the carb back to you asap. Hope your not in a hurry.

Plugged the hole for my oil pressure gauge, looks like they tried to repair once, but it still leaks. Will wait until I upgrade my gauges and install an electronic one.

Bypassed my heater core as it or the hose is leaking, couldn?t tell which. Tackle that problem another day.

Next on the plate, fix the parking brake, causing a very annoying squeak sound while driving along. When you pull up on the park brake handle, the noise goes away.

Also ordered Patriot Side pipes and new shorty headers, might have time to work on it this weekend. Tired of my redneck exhaust (rusty muffler poked with a screwdriver).

Link to previous update: Previous update

Later all, Keith

1. What timing light did you get, how much and where?

2. Don't worry about the carb. It's part of the ACE spare parts bin.

3. The oil pressure hole is probably all screwed up and that is why it's partly plugged. Hopefully the threads are still in decent shape. You plan on going full electric / new gages at some point ?

4. If your heater core is leaking, leave that to a time when the engine is out, the dash is out and you plan to add A/C.

5. The cable maybe too slack and is rubbing on the drive shaft. I had that problem with mine on a cruise and had to stop in Cottonwood to have it fixed with zip ties.

6. Patriot headers and pipes !! No wonder you can't buy a polo shirt now.

1. What timing light did you get, how much and where?

2. Don't worry about the carb. It's part of the ACE spare parts bin.

3. The oil pressure hole is probably all screwed up and that is why it's partly plugged. Hopefully the threads are still in decent shape. You plan on going full electric / new gages at some point ?

4. If your heater core is leaking, leave that to a time when the engine is out, the dash is out and you plan to add A/C.

5. The cable maybe too slack and is rubbing on the drive shaft. I had that problem with mine on a cruise and had to stop in Cottonwood to have it fixed with zip ties.

6. Patriot headers and pipes !! No wonder you can't buy a polo shirt now.

1. Bought an Equus timing light, same one the have in the Summit catalog (EQU-3568). Paid $99 for one at Checkers. Also bought my carb there, again same price as Summit. Couldn't believe Cottonwood had one in stock.

2. I won't, thanks for letting me borrow it.

3. When I've got everything buttoned up, I can still pull the hose right out of the back of the guage with moderate force. They didn't use a compression fitting in the back.

Yes, electric gauges are in this cars distant future

4. Going to install new hoses and clamps in the future and see what happens. Already have AC. Yeah, core looks like a PIA to change out, hope it's just bad hoses. Didn't really inspect them, just concentrated on bypassing the whole system for now cause it was leaking everwhere. Didn't want it blowing on me on a test drive

5. Poked around under the car yesterday, cables are clear of any moving parts.

6. Yup, poor mofo now. Plus I bought new carb and timing light this weekend. It's actually fun working on this thing. Even when I goof up I didn't get upset, unusal for me. :D Hard to get angry when your working on a 33 year old car.

http://www.elizabethvaughtonline.com/DotNe...ld/DSCN0072.JPG

http://www.elizabethvaughtonline.com/DotNe...64/Default.aspx

http://www.elizabethvaughtonline.com/DotNe...65/Default.aspx

I replaced mine, then I moved out to Phoenix. :smilelol

When I hooked up the coolant system for the TPI conversion, I cut the heater core out of it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hard to get angry when your working on a 33 year old car.

Heh, I get mad all the time working on my 29 year old.

:banghead

I'm getting better about it. Working on mine is a lesson in patience. ;)

This just isn't fair! You'll be all done with your car and I'll still be scrounging funds to fix the brakes on mine. Darn you people with extra cash! :P

Keith-seriously, it sounds like you will be able to drive it down here sometime soon (with that AAA card in hand) and show it to all of us! :burnout

Can't wait!

Melissa

This just isn't fair! You'll be all done with your car and I'll still be scrounging funds to fix the brakes on mine. Darn you people with extra cash! :P

Keith-seriously, it sounds like you will be able to drive it down here sometime soon (with that AAA card in hand) and show it to all of us! :burnout

Can't wait!

Melissa

I?m take donations. Kid doesn?t need a stinking college fund anyway.

Seriously, she still needs a lot of work, suspension bushings are shot. Interior needs some tlc (no carpet and seats are torn to heck). My plan was/is to get it running half way decent and discover all of its issues, then take it completely apart (body off). Front brakes need a rebuild including replacing hoses. I was seeing little black specs when I bleed them. I need to get my ass organized and start keeping a log.

After seeing Don?t pictures, I?d really hate to tackle heater core if is leaking.

Check out the rest of the pics...I did everything you're talking about.

Let me know if you need help with planning and organizing, there are alot of things that are easier to do at certain stages. :)

Fun, fun, fun!