Color Sanding my Vette?

Eddie44

Most of you have seen the shape my hood and facia are in. Today I had a professional detailer look at it. He suggested that we color sand the hood and facia. He agreed it would not cure the problem but would be one step better than just a polish. I don't have any experience with this process. Is it a viable alternative to improving the condition?

The guy does high end (BMW, Jag, Lexis, Etc) dealers all over the west. He's currently doing detailing for dealer shows. I have alot of faith in his rep but don't know about the process.

Thanks for any comment, positive or negative.

3,503 lbs of trouble

I don't know a whole lot about the actual process myself, but it sounds to me like there's ZERO room for error, otherwise you will probably be facing the cost of a new paint job. I'd get a second reputable opinion and let a pro with experience handle it. Talk to "Car Cleaners" in Mesa, or even the body shop Glenn uses. I think they are Auto Body Innovations? Well, somewhere I have an estimate from them to repair my door and fender. My advice, proceed with caution.

Yes sanding is a viable option, and if you want to see how it's done professionally, take a look at the Meguiar's thread were they do it to whats probably a $80.000.00 Mercedes.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showt...=&threadid=1965

It's not that extreme, probably every paint shop does it these days after a fresh paint job. I haven't done it yet, but it doesn't seem all that hard.

If you get the chance to watch him, be sure to take some pictures, it will make for a great post.

3,503 lbs of trouble
Yes sanding is a viable option, and if you want to see how it's done professionally, take a look at the Meguiar's thread were they do it to whats probably a $80.000.00 Mercedes.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showt...=&threadid=1965

It's not that extreme, probably every paint shop does it these days after a fresh paint job. I haven't done it yet, but it doesn't seem all that hard.

If you get the chance to watch him, be sure to take some pictures, it will make for a great post.

In your case Eddie, they would be wet sanding the clear coat that is on top of the black. The clear is what has all the bumps, ridges and lumps in it. When they wet sand it, they usually use 1000-2000 grit sandpaper and lots of water. They also make sure not to stay in one place very long. You only want to knock down the lumps and bumps in the clear.

CAUTION: Remember the class on Saturday, and remember how thick he said new paint is. If you go through the clear and hit color - your f'ed in technical terms. It's back to the paint shop for your car. It is the only way you will get rid of the orange peel so common in GM paint. If done right, you will have a VERY smooth and wet looking paint job. Also remember, that cuts down the thickness of your clear's UV protection and the amount of clear you have on that car for the life of the car. Once it's gone, it's gone.