TPI swap questions/sources

Donbecker

Hi all,

The C4 TPI in a C3 swap is proceeding well..I'll be heading down to Loper's to get some fuel line and fittings tomorrow.

Anyways,

I'm looking for a cheap C4 water neck (don't care about the looks).

Also, the stock cable is like 6" too short, does anyone know if a C4 cable would work?

I'd rather take the easy way out and get some kind of 6" extension (do they even make those? )

Thanks!

-Don :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Donbecker

• BSeery

• knkayotte

• Togo

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish I knew more about C4's to help you. Water neck shouldn't be to hard to find or expensive. Might need to get some sort of universal throttle cable kit.

Very interested in what your doing, looking forward to the complete write up. Good Luck

Keith

Thanks anyways Keith!

Ever seen a C4 waterneck? They're really long.

The cheap one I bought down at AutoZone isn't long enough to clear the left side of the throttlebody. Heading down to loper's today to get a filter, SS hose and some fittings.

you can get a generic (you cut to length) braided throttle cable kit at Pep Boys or Checker. They are in the same area as all the other chrome and horsepower stuff. I put one on my car and it has worked just fine for 8 months now.

you can get a generic (you cut to length) braided throttle cable kit at Pep Boys or Checker. They are in the same area as all the other chrome and horsepower stuff. I put one on my car and it has worked just fine for 8 months now.

You... :huh

J/K :D

Togo, thx! Just sent him an email.

Bryan, on that throttle cable, how does it attach to the bracket? (The stock GM ones have a black plastic thingy)

Just went to Loper's at lunchtime, I have the fuel line and fittings. I need to get a fuel filter. The guy down there in the back with the big beard was nice, ended up saving me a ton of money. Tight.

Pics to follow... :)

The throttle cable clip has a black square plastic push in clip at the end nearest the engine. I think it has 2 different ends you can use, but one is the GM standard black square plastic thingy.

you can get a generic (you cut to length) braided throttle cable kit at Pep Boys or Checker.  They are in the same area as all the other chrome and horsepower stuff.  I put one on my car and it has worked just fine for 8 months now.

You... :huh

J/K :D

Yeah -- Phil installed it once. He crawled under the dash to get it hooked to the pedal and all that.

What I didn't tell Phil was that I had to re-install the works twice when I changed brackets on the engine side and had to change the length of the cable.

I had to put the inner cable up in side of the outer housing from up under the dash. :banghead x 100

Bryan,

I found one in the 'chrome' section of autozone last night.

It was $25, and was about 18" long.

It looks like it will clip on to my current cable and then to the TB. I'll be installing it tonight.

Also, seems that I got some bad info about the fuel pump, so it turns out that I need to drop the gas tank to install the pump.

Arg. This will be drop number 4 (or 5).

On my 82 all the pump hardware will fit through the opening on the rear deck, are you using something different that won't allow you to work on it with the fuel door removed???

It's allot easier than dropping the tank.

Guest 1FASTC4

Hey don, I'd sure like to get a first hand look at this masterful project... I know this sounds like I'm inviting myself over.........ummm ......???

:D

Heh. Anyone that wants to drop by is welcome to, there isn't much left to do. :)

The 82's (and some other later c3's) had a round plate on top of the gas tank that bolts the sender assembly to the tank.

On the earlier ones (or at least mine, 76) the plate is an oval like shape (more of a rectangle with rounded corners) so no chance at getting it thru the filler hole.

I won't be mounting the pump in-tank, I'll be putting on the frame rail in the rear, pass. side.

Cool.

I'm gonna drop the tank and take out the sheet metal liner to get to the rail.

I like the rear fenders, but there is no way I could put it in without taking all that stuff out.

I'm thinking about inviting folks over for the initial fire up, but I don't want it to be a dud. :)

It should start...I sucked most of the radiator fluid out of the heads...

Well, I'm trying to get the fittings on the fuel lines and it isn't going too well.

They're the Russell twist-loc (pushon) fittings and 3/8" hose, and it just will not go on. I've tried lubricating the hose and the fitting with both WD40 and white lithium grease, even putting the hose in boiling water to try to soften it.

Nothing seems to work. Loper's (where I bought the stuff) insists that they will go on, but I'm running out of ideas and time to spend on this...

Any help?

Well, I'm trying to get the fittings on the fuel lines and it isn't going too well.

They're the Russell twist-loc (pushon) fittings and 3/8" hose, and it just will not go on. I've tried lubricating the hose and the fitting with both WD40 and white lithium grease, even putting the hose in boiling water to try to soften it.

Nothing seems to work. Loper's (where I bought the stuff) insists that they will go on, but I'm running out of ideas and time to spend on this...

Any help?

Yeah - I used those on my car too.

You have to lube the hoses and basically find a way to clamp down the fitting. I had to put all of my 300+ lbs behind each fitting to make them work and even then it was a 5-10 minute struggle with each fitting.

Good thing is, you know those will NEVER come off.

What I did was to take a male / male -06 fitting and I drilled a hole into my wooden work bench. I the screwed on end of that fitting into the front edge of my bench, leaving the other male end out. I would then take the hose and fitting I was working on and screw that to the fitting mounted on the bench and then basically push the hose on by pushing the fitting into the bench and the entire bench into the wall. They do go on, and they will. It just takes a lot of UMPH to get there.

Hey, can I offer anyone a 6 pack of beer to do these for me?

I seriously weigh like 128 lbs. so there's not much of me to push them.

Update:

The throttle cable is done. I didn't use much of what came in that kit, I ended up getting some cable from home depot and ran it pretty much custom.

I'll take some pics later.

Headed to autozone to pick up my fuel pump...

Hey, can I offer anyone a 6 pack of beer to do these for me?

I seriously weigh like 128 lbs. so there's not much of me to push them.

you can bring them over here, but I dont have the same bench I did back then. I don't have anything to mount the fitting to so we can push them on. Maybe this is the excuse to buy a bench vise I have been looking for ......

Do you have a bench vise? That and a 2x4 will work.

Bryan,

I have a bench vice that is a little damaged that you can have. I found it in the road one day, it must have fallen off a work truck of some kind.

I just do not have a work bench to mount it to.

Let me know and I can bring it over on Sunday with your canapy I still have.

Phil...

Phil - give me a call anytime after 10:00 a.m. and we can set a time for you to bring it and the canopy over.

Don - if you want, give me a call also. Once I have the vice mounted we can do all your fittings.

480-857-8391 is my home number. Don't call until after 10 a.m. I am a lazy slob and like to sleep in.

Awesome.

Autozone doesn't have my fuel pump, so I'm headed down there to get a refund on my order this morning.

I'll be going up to Loper's on Monday to get a fuel pump.

I need to cut the lines to length this morning, then I'll give you a ring...

Awesome.

Autozone doesn't have my fuel pump, so I'm headed down there to get a refund on my order this morning.

I'll be going up to Loper's on Monday to get a fuel pump.

I need to cut the lines to length this morning, then I'll give you a ring...

FYI - i got the fuel pump for my '85 at PEP BOYS - they had it IN STOCK

you might want to try that before you go to lopers - i guess it also depends on if you are putting in a STOCK one or an aftermarket "hi-po"

i may be able to find the actual box it came in for the part number if you are interested, i'll go out and look for it

Thx.

Basically I've been trying to use OEM pumps for this but it has been too much of a cr@p shoot on the fittings for making the connections.

I'd rather just pick something up and move on, finding a fuel pump has been holding this up for too long.