My DeLorean declaired "unsafe" at the Pavilions

3,503 lbs of trouble

3,503 lbs of trouble

Last night while displaying my DeLorean at the Pavilions, I was approached half way through the show by one of the McDonald's car show staff requesting that I keep my doors closed. I was told that due to a recent (undisclosed) incident that my open doors posed a hazard to passing foot traffic, and (here's the best part) could be a danger to children! I was thoroughly dumbfounded by the "request" and reasoning. The car was designed as a "safety vehicle", the federal government determined the DMC-12 met their required safety standards, granting it the privilege to be sold in the United States, yet an "I work for food and free soft drinks" car show Barney Fife came to his own conclusion that the DeLorean gull wing doors are not safe for the general public. So, not wanting to cause a scene that might get me thrown out, I go ahead and close the door. Not long after I'm told there is a Bricklin down my row with his door up. I approached the Bricklin owner and ask if he was told to shut his door as well. Turns out he was, but he showed them that he had a large clamp in place on his strut preventing anyone from closing it. For what ever reason, they were now leaving him alone.

I'm sorry, but what a bunch of complete imbeciles. How long have DeLoreans been displayed there, and now suddenly it's a danger!?! Of course the countless open hoods and trunks pose no danger to anyone, right? But my doors do. So of course what ends up happening is every five minutes people are asking why the doors are closed and they ask if I will open one for them.

Just add this to the list of why, even though the Pavilions is a great location for a cruise-in, the people who run the Pavilions car show SUCK!

Hey DJ, can I hear that "Man Song" again?!? 10 times was not enough! rolleyes5.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3,503 lbs of trouble

• Desertdawg

• BSeery

• anmracing

You sure sound just like a corvette owner... :smilelol

I haven't been back there since the cracked fender incident.

That's :bs Dan! I've seen hoods held open with broom handles. Now that's unsafe! :willy:willy

That's :bs Dan! I've seen hoods held open with broom handles. Now that's unsafe! :willy:willy

I am guessing that A: someone may bump their head on a corner of your car door while up, or B: they don't want kids to be able to climb into an open car.

No offense, but what is wrong with just keeping the door closed as they ask? They obviously have a reason and it's not just to screw with the DMC owners. Don't take it personally. If you really want to know, go ask Chico.

Personally I would never show the car with the door open as it's too much of an invitation to trouble.

3,503 lbs of trouble
I am guessing that A: someone may bump their head on a corner of your car door while up, or B: they don't want kids to be able to climb into an open car.

No offense, but what is wrong with just keeping the door closed as they ask?  They obviously have a reason and it's not just to screw with the DMC owners.  Don't take it personally.  If you really want to know, go ask Chico.

Personally I would never show the car with the door open as it's too much of an invitation to trouble.

I do see your point, but keep in mind, the gullwing doors are probably thee most fascinating feature, and primary point of interest of the entire car. There certainly is nothing to see under the hood, :lol . The doors only swing out less than 1 foot at the widest when being opened, so they protrude even less than that when up. You'd have to walk forward with your leg pressed firmly into the side of the car in order to bump your forehead head on. Plus there are illuminated caution lights on every side of the door as a warning. If you're not aware that door is there, you're literally blind. There is a DeLorean prejudice out there. Don't know if this situation is the result of that prejudice, but I have a feeling the owner of a $100K+ Mercedes Benz 300SL would not have been asked to close their gullwing doors like me and the Bricklin.

I'm calling Chico in the morning. As you can imagine, the DeLorean club took the "policy" the same as I. Also, the national DeLorean magazine has already caught wind, and they are going to contact the McDonald's for a statement. Barney fife shook the DeLorean community hornet's nest. :lol

3,503 lbs of trouble
Barney Fife is just jealous because you have a chick magnet and he has an empty gun.

barney.JPG

Oh brother! what will they think of next? I suppose someone's darn kid was getting ready to get in your car while no one (like a parent) was looking which would be dangerous! O my! :crazy

Don't sweat it-it takes all sorts, right? :crazy

Melissa

You sure sound just like a corvette owner... :smilelol

What cracked fender incident? Sounds intriguing.... :toetap

I suppose someone's darn kid was getting ready to get in your car while no one (like a parent) was looking which would be dangerous!  O my!  :crazy

That is pretty common...even with the parents :cuss

I suppose someone's darn kid was getting ready to get in your car while no one (like a parent) was looking which would be dangerous!  O my!   :crazy

That is pretty common...even with the parents :cuss

:agree You mean, when the parents are not busy teaching their kids to cross outside the crosswalk in the darkest part of the street, to get to the liquor store (or walmart)? :banghead

We can't teach them manners and we can't kill them off....

3,503 lbs of trouble
Is it really that big a deal?

It got the attention of the Vice President of the DeLorean Motor Company in Houston, and the publisher of a DeLorean magazine, who both want to call Chico with a WTF, so yes, it's a big deal.

How about everyone in Vette row keep their hoods closed?

3,503 lbs of trouble

I invited Thom to the '06 Gila Bend BBQ w/out realizing you two already met. :willy ooops! :lol

I invited Thom to the '06 Gila Bend BBQ w/out realizing you two already met. :willy ooops! :lol

Yeah -- they've "met" before.

They also saw each other at dyno day.

Is it really that big a deal?

It got the attention of the Vice President of the DeLorean Motor Company in Houston, and the publisher of a DeLorean magazine, who both want to call Chico with a WTF, so yes, it's a big deal.

How about everyone in Vette row keep their hoods closed?

i already do, so no skin off my back! :P

Yeah we met alright... :banghead

Were cool with it, sure hope Thom can make it this year to GB... :drinkers

3,503 lbs of trouble

So I managed to recruit one more DeLorean to join me yesterday at the Pavilions for the showdown. The result... Well, nothing happened. The doors were up, the two DeLoreans were looked at by hundreds of spectators, the McDonalds car show staff paid no attention, and even Chico passed, looking right at us a few times, and didn't come over to say a word. I figured if they are not going to approach us, then why approach them? There were no injuries or complaints from the public about the doors :lol so all was good!

Guess the crisis is over. You can all rest easier now. :lol

:leaving

Good !!

I want to come by on the 5th, and trip over your open door sill, bang my head and sue McDonalds. I really am tired of going to work everyday, and the lottery thing didn't work, so I am going to go for a frivolous lawsuit.

Dan -- you know I am kidding, right?

3,503 lbs of trouble

Uh, yea...

BTW, do you know if the Pavs has a T-bird row?

Uh, yea...

BTW, do you know if the Pavs has a T-bird row?

No, but I do have another question.

Why does the car in your avatar not have the headliner in the top of the door? Factory fresh and that piece is missing.

Is that a secret DMC thing ?

3,503 lbs of trouble
Why does the car in your avatar not have the headliner in the top of the door?  Factory fresh and that piece is missing. 

Is that a secret DMC thing ?

The headliner is on the door in the pic. It's gray in a B&W photo, so I can see why you'd think it was missing. The headliner recesses up into cut out gap at the top of the door to increase headroom. If the headliner was not in place you'd see writing there leftover from assembly at the factory. In the DeLorean community the factory writings under the headliners are called "cave paintings". They can be as simple as just the VIN (or in my case the intended VIN), the key codes, build date(?) and other misc assembly line codes, or in some cases they even contain assembly line worker's initials, signatures, secret messages and drawings, like in one case a caricature of Elvis. I guess if there was a secret DMC thing, that would be it. When people have their headliner replaced they often snap photos for their scrapbooks. That's one of the reasons you don't want to loose a door because you loose a piece of the cars "character" and history.

http://www.dmcnews.com/cavepaintings.html

We should pull out Dan's head liner I don't believe he posted the real cave drawings.....Anyone want to bet it say's "I wish I were a Corvette!!!" :lol

3,503 lbs of trouble
We should pull out Dan's head liner I don't believe he posted the real cave drawings.....Anyone want to bet it say's "I wish I were a Corvette!!!" :lol

My headliner was out for the past 6 months. You were close.

cv_pntng.jpg