Brake Upgrade Pics, and a Pic of the exhaust !

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

Well tore into the brakes today. Got the fronts done, will do the rears tommorrow. The fluid was VERY VERY BAD!! I watched what looked like used motor oil flush out of my brake system (It even had some chunks in it!! lol).

Anyway got the new rotors / pads on and a nice clean up and paintjob. The brush on ceramic paint is pretty time consuming , but looks pretty good when its all done. For the caliper brackets i used high temp engine paint.

The passenger side pads were worn down to the backings , and in addition to that the 2 sets of "Prongs" that actually keep the pads centered in the calipers were broken off of the pads..

The power bleeder was worth its weight in gold!! Fill it up , pressurize it , open the bleeder and watch the fluid get flushed out and bled at the same time. Best of all, you can do it all by yourself!! (Don't have to annoy the wife!!)

Before

dscf00455gk.jpg

After

dscf00479vt.jpg

The rim has alot of red reflection in it from my red matt i was sitting on while working .

And a quickie of the Corsa setup!

dscf00429ue.jpg

One of these days Zips is gonna get off thier arses and send me my new 5.7 LT1 badge so i can take that damn ZR1 badge off :\

Guest XLR8TNC5

Wow,

That car is just so damn gorgeous! And Im very happy for you and the work you have been doing lately on her. I love the calipers. I know what you mean about time consuming. I remember when I did mine. Took me a long time. But very worth it in the end. I love the new exhaust look. Looks menacing. Can't wait to hear it.

Take care,

Tanya

Congrats on the instal... It came real nice.. Can't wait to see it in person...

Andrew

Welp got the back brakes done today. Took a little more effort then the fronts. Ran into a problem with my E brake. Turns out the cable was seized, causing the rear brakes to drag alittle bit. So until I can find a new cable, I left them unhooked. (Cable goes to both rear calipers it was causing some very intersting pad wear).

Ill get everything all washed up tommorrow and post some pics of the whole car :)

As far as the test drive....... Nancy and I went out and "Seasoned" the brakes as per the instructions. (10 or so quick 50-0mph stops, not stomping on the brakes , but slowing down with a pourpose)

After doing that and driving around for awhile I was very impressed with the feel of the brake pedal. Before it would be very incosistant (brakes grabbed at various pedal height). Now its dead on , feels great, the car has no shimmy , wobble , or anything else. After about 20 min of just cruising around lightly we hit the road headed out to Roosevelt Lake ... and did some "Hard" stoping. (60-0) . :eek:eek MAJOR MAJOR IMPROVEMENT!!! (probably so noticable cause my old stuff was so worn out)

Word of advice for any C4 owner (88 and up actually) that are going to tear into the rear brakes. Buy a exhaust spring tool from a dirt bike shop. There are 2 pretty decent sized springs that are used for the ebrake setup that have to be removed. Getting them off is the easy part. Installing them without this tool is a choir, as amatter of a fact its dangerous. (I damn near knocked myself out with a left hook when my plyiers slipped off the spring). The tool is like 5 bucks , and is well worth it , even if you ONLY used it for changing brake pads. And if you have a 2 stroke dirtbike you ll use it quite often :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1FASTC4

That new setup looks great man. I upgraded mine too, to that c5 package from VBP. The fronts were really no problem.... the rears even easier. I found out I had a leaky MC and......

I had this bolt on the end of the rod that actually contacts the piston in the MC.. it got out of adjustment. I was aware of it being there but it was in so tight I figured it would never come loose.

Had a mushy pedal after install and figured it was a bad brake bleed.. bled it three times before I broke down and started fiddling with the rod bolt. Wow, I learned a lot... I'm so glad you didn't run into this problem.

Good job man, that rim/rotor/caliper combination is terrific looking.

:thumbs

well i "begged" for help and joe graciously accepted my offer - i just ordered the same slotted cross drilled rotors and hawk pads for mine as well, and i will be headed to his place on the 30th (still penciled in until he approves the date) for rotors, pads and a full fluid change!

i appreciate you volunteering to help - i can to a lot of it myself, but the rear rotors i heard are a bit tricky - with the e-brake and all. and since you recently have experience in this area, i definitelly will appreciate the first hand knowledge

i'm also gonna get me some of that nice red paint like you did too - that will look sharp with those Z06 wheels on the car that i still need to pick up from phil! - oh yeah, BTW phil, if you read this - my mechanic said my truck MIGHT be done this weekend but, we'll see! :cuss

3,503 lbs of trouble
...i just ordered the same slotted cross drilled rotors and hawk pads for mine as well, and i will be headed to his place on the 30th (still penciled in until he approves the date) for rotors, pads and a full fluid change!

i'm also gonna get me some of that nice red paint like you did too - that will look sharp with those Z06 wheels on the car that i still need to pick up from phil!

I thought you are going to buy a C5?

...i just ordered the same slotted cross drilled rotors and hawk pads for mine as well, and i will be headed to his place on the 30th (still penciled in until he approves the date) for rotors, pads and a full fluid change!

i'm also gonna get me some of that nice red paint like you did too - that will look sharp with those Z06 wheels on the car that i still need to pick up from phil!

what? a guy can't have 2 vettes?

it needs a brake job anyway, and i priced rotors at autozone - they were $140just for STOCK (non slotted non drilled) rotors and didn't include pads!

i can't have down time, as i only have the vette as a running vehicle, so my best option is to buy another set of rotors and avoid having to have them turned - as i have no way to get to a shop! and besides, the drilled slotted will look way cooler onthe car once i paint those calipers and put on those Z06 wheels

3,503 lbs of trouble

it needs a brake job anyway, and i priced rotors at autozone - they were $140just for STOCK (non slotted non drilled) rotors and didn't include pads!

i can't have down time, as i only have the vette as a running vehicle, so my best option is to buy another set of rotors and avoid having to have them turned - as i have no way to get to a shop! and besides, the drilled slotted will look way cooler onthe car once i paint those calipers and put on those Z06 wheels

Forgot it's your daily, and it's always handy to be able to stop.

Check NAPA -- my drilled slotted rotors for my 1980 were like $70 each.

Check NAPA -- my drilled slotted rotors for my 1980 were like $70 each.

i got all 4 for around $150 from ebay - same place joe bought his - then i got the hawk pads - grand total was $331

Joe - they said they didn't have any hawk pads in stock, but expect them early next week, if you got my PM, we may have to reschedule to the week after - i may order the radiator next and see when that will be here and perhpas pay a visit to travis!

Guest freedom25
Anyway got the new rotors / pads on and a nice clean up and paintjob.  The brush on ceramic paint is pretty time consuming ,  but looks pretty good when its all done.  For the caliper brackets i used high temp engine paint. 

I just finished a brake job on my '89. We must have had the same idea. :)

brake_job.jpg