Header question......

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

I have decided to install my exhaust myself.... Ive done this on every other perf. car ive owned , why treat the vette any different is what i figured.

But i have one question before i get the car up on jackstands and tear into it.

Ive been reading about cars 94-96 having a problem with the computer detecting knock from noisy exhaust / or valvetrain ect ect ... it pulls a ton of timing out ..... all the LT1-Lt4 knock sensor upgrades are listed for 94-96 ... so wth? 92-93 cars don't have this problem ? or are we just screwed?

I was just curious if anybody knew the answer to this!

I would have thought you would have an answer by now...

Unfortunately I am not that much into these issues but I think the OE sensors are probably a little more sensitive to exhaust noise than the older models and that may be why.... Sorry I can't help more than that.

Andrew

92ZR1Wannabe

I found the answer, it just took a little more digging.

92-93 You cannot use the plugin (LT4) module.. On the 94-96 cars there is a door on the back side of the PCM , if your getting alot of knock detects , you buy the module and plug it in , it takes care of the problem. On the older cars , its part of the PCM programming... You have your chip reflashed to take care of the problem.

I also found that MOST people don't even have a problem unless they dig into the valvetrain and start adding goodies there. Not alot of people reporting problems with just exhaust.

On another note there: Sounds like your putting together a really nice Mopar !! I had a 73 Dodge Dart Sport 340 I bought from my dad probably 6 or 7 years ago. It was a monster in the short run, 340 J heads, purple cam, headers/full exhaust, 2400 stall, 8 1/4 rearend(only downfall) 3.91 richmond gears (my first gear install :) ) .. That car was SOOO much fun, my dad used it as his bracket car for a couple of years then wanted a different project, so i bought it and had a blast. In the end I needed to sell it to buy my first house, sold it to one of my best friends who happened to be a mopar freak (along with his father) .. They restored the car , yes all the way back to factory specs .... took it to the mopar nats in indy 2 years ago and won first in their class. I was just happy the car went to a good home :)

I know on the 82's about the only thing you can't run is a gear drive. ..

I found the answer, it just took a little more digging.

92-93 You cannot use the plugin (LT4) module.. On the 94-96 cars there is a door on the back side of the PCM , if your getting alot of knock detects , you buy the module and plug it in , it takes care of the problem. On the older cars , its part of the PCM programming... You have your chip reflashed to take care of the problem.

I also found that MOST people don't even have a problem unless they dig into the valvetrain and start adding goodies there. Not alot of people reporting problems with just exhaust.

On another note there: Sounds like your putting together a really nice Mopar !! I had a 73 Dodge Dart Sport 340 I bought from my dad probably 6 or 7 years ago. It was a monster in the short run, 340 J heads, purple cam, headers/full exhaust, 2400 stall, 8 1/4 rearend(only downfall) 3.91 richmond gears (my first gear install :) ) .. That car was SOOO much fun, my dad used it as his bracket car for a couple of years then wanted a different project, so i bought it and had a blast. In the end I needed to sell it to buy my first house, sold it to one of my best friends who happened to be a mopar freak (along with his father) .. They restored the car , yes all the way back to factory specs .... took it to the mopar nats in indy 2 years ago and won first in their class. I was just happy the car went to a good home :)

That makes sense about the modules. Good info on that knocking issue.

The Mopar was Melissa's race car. She use to run it at Firebird until I (Yes, I broke it) Blew a head gasket playing after work one night. It sat for a couple of years. I use to start it every now and then after I fixed it. But a freeze plug rusted out so now I have to pull the engine to fix that. Someday I might even paint it.....

Andrew