Eddie's Accident!

Eddie44

Well, USAA is sending a flatbed for the Vette on Friday. I agreed to use their "suggested high end" shop. It's going to Rick's in the Scottsdale Airpark. Rick's has been great so far. They asked if I could bring it in and when I was hesitant they offered a flatbed. They can't start on it until Oct. 24th.

I'm missing all the great top down weather! :banghead

Guest XLR8TNC5

AWw, Im sorry you are missing all the top down weather. If it is any consolation, the truck read 54 degrees this morning on my way to work! That is tooo cold. THe evenings are a little better, but it is sure getting chilly around these parts pretty quick.

I hate big changes that happen fast in the weather. I always end up with a headcold mess. (Just getting over one from last week as I speak.) DAMN IT!

Just think, when you get her back, she will be good as new. Hang in there!

Tanya

Saw your injured child this morning...ow! That smarts....

Thought you might be outside and did a drive by...would have stopped but I had to get to work.

I think they'll be able to make her like new - and now I know what you're drivin' in the mean time so I won't be freakin out wondering who the hell is honking at me! Not to worry, I think the cruzin' weather will hold out until you get her back.

Placed a post on the other Forum to someone who was wondering how his black C4 would look with a white top...I had you in mind and told him he couldn't go wrong - it looks so good with that combo. Come to find out the thread turned into "...cop 'vette?"

Girlfrind wwants to go to Stanford v. UofA game tomorrow, but I'm hoping the bug she picked up will nix those plans and I'll come out for Dyno...

See ya soon, how's Ryan?

:flag

...and a close call for me, some Bonehead almost did the same to me yesterday. I was only going about 15MPH as the light was red as I was pulling up to it, when this jerk decided to go around the car in front of him. I stopped without even a chirp from the tires and while he did too (when my horn woke him up - you shouldda seen his EYES) 1/2 second more and I'd be asking the name of the shop you were at!

...though I'm certain this individual had no USAA on his Chevy truck. :mad

Eddie, I haven't been around as I'm juggling 3 classes at the same time. Sorry to hear about the accident, but am glad you're okay. I agree, perhaps time to 'trade-up' to that C6-Z06.

Dan C

Body shop called today and the preliminary estimate came back at $6900 and change. He stressed they will no doubt come up with additional damage when they get the quarter panel off. He said expect between $8K and $9K.

The only thing that really bothers me is the stickers on the door. They can't be salvaged so he's going to remove them as carefully as he can and put them in an envelope in the glovebox for me. He said it'll be up to me to duplicate them. I guess that will just add to the diminished value cost to USAA.

just dropping the value of the ultra rare black / white / black 'vert another $1000 or more........

Talked to the body shop today and they gave me a quote for a full "factory" paint job. The painter said they will do virtually the factory orange peel quality paint. I pushed them a little and for $400 more he agreed to do a "wow!" showcar paint job on the entire car. Those of you that know my hood and front clip it needs painting badly. At that point I'd just have the pass side and trunk that were factory, so I told him to go with a total repaint job.

Well, I had today off for my job interview and swung by the body shop. They've got the Vette torn down. They found when they got the door off that the driverside front fender was not cracked but the rear mounting point was broken. So they are replacing the entire driverside of the car. Good news was there is no damage under the front or rear fender. They will replace just the outer skin on both fenders and the door took the brunt of the impact. They are replacing the entire door and door sill. The estimate went from $6900+ to $9880.

Both rear rims will be replaced but I don't think they're cracked or bent. If I can snag them would someone like them for drag radials? They are stock polished C5 thin spokes. The driverside has some scratches and the passengerside has curb rash around the very lip. I imagine they will just be tossing them if I want them.

See if you can get them, how much and what sizes. Will not be any good if 17 and 18 inch wheel.

They are the stock 18" rears.

I might be interested in the 18" rears. I will talk to Mark and let you know Sunday.

Thanks,

T

I talked to the body shop today. They were paying $700+ for the two rear rims. They agreed to giving me an allowance for that amount. I ordered a set of chrome Z06 rims from Bob at World of Wheels for $784 shipped. 1 more little upgrade thanks to the accident. :D

It means I own the old ones. We'll have to see if they're bent cracked etc. but I don't think they appear to be. Once I get the car back they'll be for sale cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

Good news and bad news on the Vette.

BAD NEWS:It was supposed to be done this week but will be at least another week. I told them take their time as I want it right, not just slapped back together.

GOOD NEWS: USAA has already paid me $1500+ for rental even though I'm driving the Mazda and they are offering $3500 for "diminished value". This is all above and beyond the repairs.

about those stickers...

if they can get them off in fairly good shape I can print you some duplicates - probably better than the originals.

Let me know...no $$$

Michael

GOOD NEWS: USAA has already paid me $1500+ for rental even though I'm driving the Mazda and they are offering $3500 for "diminished value". This is all above and beyond the repairs.

That sounds like very good news. You are most likely going to go with Vette Essentials, :thumbs aren't you.

How about some HorsePower upgrades :thumbs:thumbs .

Decisions...Decisions....Decisions...Looks :angel ...Horsepower :devil

Phil... :devil

Wow Eddie, sorry to see the damage. Glad to see that you came out of it ok. The cars are always secondary to you...

Nice of you to join in Sloryde.... ;)  I'm the same way, I keep my mouth shut unless I really have something to say.....

:burnout  :burnout

_________________  Finish line

Andrew

wouldn't that depend on who you are logged in as at the time NEWBIE? :P

i don't know how i did it- but i missed the whole page of replies on this second page.

good news eddie - glad to hear you are 'scoring' especially with those Z06 wheels!

think you will give this body shop a recommendation? just curious - people are always looking for a good shop to take their cars to- and it's hard to have a recommendation sometimes!!!!