Show Low Cruise

CZYDMND

All I can say, is yes, Mark and I had a great time on this cruise. We always have a great time, but this one was so much better as far as the group cohesion and the cruising all together. Yeah, a few of us ran ahead and did our thing a few times, but we all got right back together, no one got left behind and we all had a blast!

Tanya

Glad to hear that everyone had fun.

I was afraid that all the stops along the way would be a problem. Some stops were needed for fuel (The two Chevron stations), some were needed as a rest stop (bottom of the Canyon, Payson) and most were just to make sure that the front runners and the tail gunners all got back together and we didn't get too far spread out. The stop at the Salt River Canyon was unfortunately longer than planned but we had a back up route to pick up 1/2 an hour and that worked well for us. Really glad that Kelly, Tanya, Mark and Keith could all lend a hand. :thumbs:thumbs to the four of you.

Tracy and I got our fair share of sun and I was glad to get the Vette out again. Tracy even drove it home from the Split Window ( :eek ). I tried my best not to side-seat drive but I did look for the brake pedal a couple times and I kept trying to lift off the imaginary throttle over on the passenger side. All in all we made it home safe and sound and nobody got hurt.

Today I am going to sit back and relax, do my expenses and some chores and start looking at working on the Vega. Hope to have it at Firebird on the 30th for some test runs.

Hope to see a BIG turnout at Firebird. If you don't want to come race, at least come watch. And I am sure Hooters will be the post-race wrap up location of choice.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BSeery

• 3,503 lbs of trouble

• CZYDMND

• knkayotte

I had a blast as always. Brought Mark, a friend that loves to ride off road (Quads, 4X4) and he told me after the first 30 mins that by the end of the day his checks were going to be killing him. I asked why? He mentioned that all the grinning he was going to be doing the rest of the day was the reason why. He grew up in Globe and has driven the road many times in his life time, but had never made it up Gonzales pass in 5 seconds. I was driving fast but do not believe that fast. After hitting the passing lane, before the tunnel between Superior and Miami, I opened it up and we hit a top speed of 125 going up that short hill climb. It was a blast. Good thing I did not keep that speed when we came up on the DPS. Was too close on that one. Talk about going from about 90 to 38 in a few seconds. :willy

Well here are a few pictures that Mark took. Pictures I thought he was taking a lot more while we were going along. I might have to let him drive next time so I can take more like Ken did this cruise.

Quote Ken "James (clap clap) Bring the car around" :smilelol:smilelol

That one just killed me. My wife could not stop lauging when I shared that one with her.

Looks like I have to upgrade my sway bars like Tanya, It was getting a little scary on the down hill from the Rim into Payson. I was making sure to stay in front of Dan and Tanya, so if she was going .... guess what I was going to stay in front.

To end the trip with a good laugh, I asked Dan C let me clean my windshield with his glass cleaner and towel. Looked good in the shade. But the first time I hit the sun direct in our face I could not see out of the windshield. Total white film and haze. As you read from the post above, I was not driving the speed limit most of the time. :willy But here is where it gets interesting, knowing I can not see out the windshield, I hit my wash windshield button. All of a sudden my face starts to burn and I smell a particular odor. If you have not figured it out...Methanol :mad

It did clean the windshield to help see some what, but if you have seen fuel on glass, it does not look good.

So off to clean the Vette the rest of the morning.

All have a good Sunday.

Phil... :devil

Yea Haa...Had a blast! "Passenger brake pedal" is still inop. but that dosen't stop someone from trying! :smilelol Glad to see the new faces as well as the old ones. Glad all had a good time and can't wait for the next great adventure.

Guest racingchester

Had a great time. Thanks to all of you for not leaving the old man waaaay behind.

We could always see where you were at by Chris's smoke!! By the way it was not tire smoke!! Who was the first one to use the bathroom at McDonalds?? I expected to be passed on the way back, especially after Payson. Thanks to all again. Chuck & Judy :thumbs

3,503 lbs of trouble
Quote Ken "James (clap clap) Bring the car around" :smilelol:smilelol

If simply being called "James" is the price of being handed the keys to a Z06 for an afternoon, then that's a price I can afford. :yesnod

Hey Tanya,

Did the you take any pics of the instal??? Sounds like your happy with the sway bar....

I wish we could have gone but it was sort of short notice for me (I had to work :mad ) and the Vette is having brake issues anyway.

I think we'll be at Firebird on the 30th though....

The pics look like you all had fun... I hope we can make next time.

Andrew

YES YES YES! WHAT a blast - i LOVE the big turnouts - i like all the "attention" we get with larger groups!

i hope i didn't break something - i noticed this morning that i'm leaking oil in the driveway - and i had never seen any oil spots under my car!

GRRRRRRRR

but this car was bought to drive and i drive the hell out of it - as some of you have seen!

guess i need to find me an LT1 block - or sell her!

i think the LT1 block is my best bet, however, i think i could profit a few dollars from selling her soon.

but anyway, back to the cruise.......we need the NEWBIES to come out in force - if they can show the other NEWBIES how much fun was had, maybe we can get the others to show - and heck, maybe some of our veteran members will start showing up again - unless those veteran members are with some "other" AZ club - and we all know thost others aren't as much fun! :D

oh yeah, and how about Don Becker - that damn green C3 hung with us to almost triple digit speeds for a good portion of the trek home - hats off to Don - tanya and i were both impressed!!!!

guess i need to find me an LT1 block - or sell her!

i think the LT1 block is my best bet

I wouldn't jump to the worst of conclusions as of yet. With 130k on the clock it could be something as simple as a gasket leaking.

I for one was impressed with all the cars, it was great seeing all of them in person. Im gonna have to bum a ride in Phil's car someday... that thing just looks/sounds like its amazing.

I was also really impressed as to the way even these older C4's handle. I have never pushed my car as hard as I did leaving the bottem of salt river canyon. Eating those corners with ease 60+mph , stuck to the road like it was on rails.... and with little to no effort. And then again going down the rim from Showlow to the payson area ... that was completely exilerating.We were going 85-90+ most the way down, until Nancy and I launched over that damn bump at the bottem.... after my life flashed b4 my eyes i slowed down ... to 75-80 :)

My car held up great except for the brakes. But I have already ordered the fix for that. A full complement of G1 Concepts Cross drilled / slotted rotors and Hawk pads. Between those and a full brake fluid change that should take care of the problem.So hopefully by our next run ill be ready to stop at the bottem of the hill.

As for the Sept 30th meet. Ill probably come down, its in the evening so ill be able to go home and get some sleep first. I dunno if ill bring my vette down to race, or maybe ill bring my little 17 sec ZX3 Focus and destroy everybody bracket racing.. (just kidding itll be the vette)

We had a blast too, being tail gunner allowed me a few "catchup" runs..... :burnout

We missed the run to payson, but I did keep it about 85 (wink wink) all the way across I40 to Flag. and we all know the run down I17 can be fun too....

Lunch was good and so was getting all the Corvettes together again.

See y'all at Firebird. :howdy

Maybe I should throw a special on Z06 sway bars and endlinks :) Or maybe hotchkis...

Any thoughts?

I have BMR sways on my car, and like them better than the hotchkis. I have the T1 endlinks on mine and hate them. Make too much noise for the adjustability associated with them. Stick with z06 dogbones.

It was great meeting most of you. I caught the caravan just past Heber and tried to follow you down the rim(in my chevy truck), that was awesome, the only thing that would have been better is if I was in MY vette! Anyway, for all the newbies who haven't been on a cruise, I HIGHLY recommend getting out, it is alot of fun.

Thanks for the great trip!

I had a 'ell of a time keeping up with the C4's and C5's near the end, glad I could make it. I was really impressed with my car's handling.

Hoping that EFI conversion will give me some more HP, I was in fourth with the pedal mashed to the floor way more than once.

At first the high speeds seemed to be cooling it down, but over 100 or so the temp gauge would start creeping back up...

Very cool cruise folks!

I hit 95 one time and got the GRRRRRRR look from the boss. HEHE.

The better half will only get mad when I am in turns going that fast. She will not mind the high speeds on straight aways.

Chuck hope she had a great time overall.

Bryan, When is the next cruise....is it always showlow ???? :burnout

No -- Show Low has been a "once a year" type cruise. We've only gone twice.

Next cruise -- it's a shorter cruise too, is on October 1st. We will be cruising from a central meeting point in Tempe (haven't picked it yet) and will be going out to the Saguaro Lake / Salt River Recreation area that is north east of Mesa.

For those that went on the poker run in 2004 it will be very close to the same route.

We have a few stops along the way but it will only be a couple of hours before we come back into town and have lunch at the Split Window Diner in Fountain Hills. From there we will most likely cruise down to the Pavilions car show.

It will be a much shorter cruise and I don't think the turnout will be the same. A few of us have done this route before, but it's and easy, simple route that is scenic and an good drive.

I will finalize all the details later today, so watch the events section for more details.

Cool i will be there for Oct 1st for sure....What I was Asking do we do sedona, or verde valley......I'm just asking....I love showlow it's a nice ride....

Cool i will be there for Oct 1st for sure....What I was Asking do we do sedona, or verde valley......I'm just asking....I love showlow it's a nice ride....

We go all over the place. We do Sedona / Oak Creek / Jerome / Prescott / Payson - all the northern areas in late spring or early fall. We have have a yearly trip to Gila Bend, have been down to Tucson and further south a few times and I have some new routes around Casa Grande, Florence, Oracle Junction and those areas coming up soon.

Guest racingchester

Yah Phil she had a good time. She spent alot of the time trying to place peoples names to the cars. Im trying to post the pictures I took. Be patient!!

Yah Phil she had a good time.  She spent alot of the time trying to place peoples names to the cars.  Im trying to post the pictures I took.  Be patient!!

Just e-mail the pictures to me. I am putting them all together right now on one page.

BSeery@ArizonaVette.net

3,503 lbs of trouble
It was great meeting most of you.

Which of us were not so nice to meet? Just kidding! It was nice to meeting you too! I don't know if I mentioned it, but I sold my '79 just over 2 months ago, so your car brought up some emotions. Yours is beautiful. Take care of her!

3,503 lbs of trouble
I had a 'ell of a time keeping up with the C4's and C5's near the end, glad I could make it. I was really impressed with my car's handling.

Here I am driving Ken's moded Z06, and there you were on our azz! You made me feel like I was driving too slow! :crazy

Glad you came. My hats off to your Vette, My '79 would have never hung w/ the C5s like that. Well, maybe now it could since Jay turned her into a mean machine.