Anyone near Sierra Vista?

Matth3w

I travel maybe three weeks out of the month, but I have some "projects" I am trying to do the month of May (any day is pretty much game except this Saturday) but not that experienced with Vettes. For those of you have seen me around town I used to have a blue Subaru with CF hood/trunk and gold Gram Lights. Anyhow...

1) I want to lower the car. I know this is a relatively simple process but I am learn-by-sight kinda guy. I like to do the work but have someone to guide me while I work that has done it before.

2) The previous owner did a poor job of taking care of the car, and had backed into something so my original bumper has some cracked clearcoat etc. So I bought a bumper already painted that is in better condition but I could use a hand swapping it out. The complication is, I only have my Vette so I can't just shove the new bumper into the trunk to get it on post.

3) I have the famed LED burn out on the driver's climate controls and I am an idiot when it comes to electrical work and soldering.

Of course I would buy all the beer/food you can eat while you help. Thanks for looking...and thanks if you can make it!

Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement

Removal Procedure

Raise and support the vehicle.

Remove the fascia to impact bar push-in retainers.

Remove the rear wheels.

Remove the right and left rear wheelhouse liner.

Remove the bolts attaching the fascia and the quarter panel to the right and left rear compartment brace.

Remove the quarter panel to fascia nuts.

Remove the side marker light sockets.

Disconnect the rear harness connector.

Disconnect the rear fascia harness from the side of the right rear side frame rail.

Lower the vehicle.

Remove the backup lamp/license bracket (Domestic) or rear license bracket (Export).

Notice: Use the exact size square headed tool to remove the screws from the energy absorber to avoid stripping the plastic screw heads.

Remove the fascia opening to energy absorber plastic screws .

Remove the outer taillamps.

Remove the right inner taillamp for access and unclip the fascia harness from the right side of the impact bar.

Remove the fascia to quarter panel (access through the taillamp opening) bolts.

Remove the antenna ground, the shield (Convertible), and the braided wire to the antenna ground stud nut.

Remove the antenna ground stud.

Open the rear lift window (Coupe), or open the rear compartment lid.

Remove the fascia to upper flange screws.

Remove the fascia.

Remove the high mounted stop lamp from the fascia.

Remove the license plate lamps from the fascia.

Install the right and left retainer brackets to the fascia.

Install the license plate lamps to the fascia. Install the high mounted stop lamp to the fascia.

Position the fascia to the vehicle inserting the studs on the fascia retainer brackets into the holes in the quarter panel.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the fascia to upper flange screws. Start at the center of the flange and work outward.

Tighten

Rear fascia upper flange screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Using the taillamp openings for access, finger start the screws through the fascia retainer brackets to the right and left quarter panel reinforcement.

Align the fascia flush along the vertical and upper contour of the quarter panel.

Tighten

Tighten the rear fascia to quarter panel reinforcement screws to 5 N·m (44 lb in).

Install the antenna ground stud.

Tighten

Tighten the antenna ground stud to 5 N·m (44 lb in).

Install the antenna braided wire, the shield (Convertible), the antenna ground, and the nut to the antenna ground stud.

Tighten

Tighten the antenna ground stud nut to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

Install the nuts to the fascia right and left retainer bracket studs.

Tighten

Tighten the rear fascia retainer bracket stud nuts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Close the rear lift window panel (Coupe), or close the rear compartment lid.

Raise and support the vehicle. Install the bolts to the lower edge of the fascia and the quarter panel to the right and left rear compartment brace.

Tighten

Tighten the rear fascia to rear compartment brace bolts to 5 N·m (44 lb in).

Install the side marker sockets.

Route the rear fascia harness.

Connect the harness connector and attach the connector to the right side rail.

Clip the rear fascia harness to the impact bar.

Install the wheelhouse liner panels. Install the tires and wheels.

Install the fascia to impact bar push-in retainers.

Lower the vehicle.

Install the sockets to the taillamps.

Install the taillamps.

Notice: Use the exact size square headed tool to install the screws to the absorber to avoid stripping the plastic screw heads.

Install the rear license plate opening to the energy absorber screws.

Tighten

Tighten the rear license plate opening to the energy absorber screws to 1 N·m (9 lb in).

Install the backup lamp/rear license bracket (Domestic) or rear license bracket (Export). Tighten

Tighten the backup lamp/license bracket screws to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Install the rear license and license frame.

Thank you for the posts...they are VERY informative. Just curious though, if anyone wants some beer to give me a hand and speed up the processes :)

Allrighty then...since Ed has all that covered, I'll address the dim display issue. Check this old thread out: Dim A/C display and you can certainly handle this as a do-it-yourself, just get some torx-heads and follow the removal instructions. If you cannot solder like an arteest, or CaHd, then I would suggest buying a new unit like Dawg did and just plug it in and button her back up. :thumbs

Big Poppa

Het Matthew... I just posted in your other thread as well... I'm back in town for a while (I'm the same guy that's been chatting with you about this on CF), so let's set a time to get that thing in the weeds....

Marana Rich

I will be in SV on Friday afternoon, and will leave noonish on Sunday. I can be available any time to move the part onto the base, and to point a finger and take pictures. If you want, shoot me a pm with phone #, I will give you a call when I get to SV.

Het Matthew... I just posted in your other thread as well... I'm back in town for a while (I'm the same guy that's been chatting with you about this on CF), so let's set a time to get that thing in the weeds....

When is good for you?

Big Poppa

You say that Sat is out... Wanna try for Sunday, maybe we can catch Rich before he leaves for some lunch...

You say that Sat is out... Wanna try for Sunday, maybe we can catch Rich before he leaves for some lunch...

I'm free all day Sunday...Saturday would be ok, but I have my detailer flying in from California to fix the buffer trails he left in the car last time. Where/what time should we meet up?

Big Poppa

Do you live on base or off? The lowering process is about a half hour job unless you want to cut the front bushings. As I remember it you have a floor jack, and that's really all we need other than simple hand tools.

I would say that we meet for lunch and then chop up the car. You have any good lunch spots that we could meet at? I'll get a hold of Rich unless he chimes in on this thread again. Figure we meet arond noon to keep Rich on his schedule....

Do you live on base or off? The lowering process is about a half hour job unless you want to cut the front bushings. As I remember it you have a floor jack, and that's really all we need other than simple hand tools.

I would say that we meet for lunch and then chop up the car. You have any good lunch spots that we could meet at? I'll get a hold of Rich unless he chimes in on this thread again. Figure we meet arond noon to keep Rich on his schedule....

I live off post...near the mall. Not too much around here for lunch that's "special." We have Chilis, Applebees, etc, all within about 5 min of my condo. I have a floor jack and I can either find or buy new jack stands. Need to get some standard tools (I only have metric due to my previous cars all being imports). If this weekend is not so good for you (don't want to ruin your Sunday) we can do it next Sat, Sun, or hell even during the week if you want. I just appreciate the knowledgeable help (I'm sure I can do it myself, but it's always nice to have someone around that has done it before and knows what they are doing for your first time).

I'll buy lunch, beer, and whatever tools you want, and give you some gas money if you're gonna drive all the way down here.

Big Poppa

Dood... How is playing with Corvettes ruining a Sunday? Nuthin I'd rather do.

Dood... How is playing with Corvettes ruining a Sunday? Nuthin I'd rather do.

Must not be a hockey fan :):banannadance:

I'm down with whatever...

Marana Rich

I am in Sierra Vista, and am up to anything anytime until around 1 on Sunday, when we leave back to Yuma. Saturday would be best for me, if we could do that.

If you are by the mall, I am just south of you, just off Buffalo Soldier Trail.

Big Poppa

Wht's yer detailer's schedule look like Sat? It's such a quick job that I'm sure we can work around it. If we do it Sat, it gives you all day to stare at it Sun....

He lands in Tucson at 955am...so by the time he gets his rental etc, he prolly won't be here till around 1130 if you guys want to do it before then? Maybe like 8-9ish (not sure how early you guys like to get up) to be on the safe side. I just bought GTA IV today too, so.... :P

Crap, I just got a phone call...as it turns out, I can't do it Sunday because I committed to some charity car wash I almost completely forgot about :(

Can we engineer a way to do it tomorrow morning?

Big Poppa

Well, I had planned to not grace the world with my presence til at least noon. I don't mind doing it a bit later... Howz bout we turn it into work on the car then hit some dinner? Or call it what you will, but start on it after yer detailer is completed. PM me your number, and we can work it ot that way.

I just got slotted to drop another one this evening.... You're gonna have to start callin me the dean of drop...

Well, I had planned to not grace the world with my presence til at least noon. I don't mind doing it a bit later... Howz bout we turn it into work on the car then hit some dinner? Or call it what you will, but start on it after yer detailer is completed. PM me your number, and we can work it ot that way.

I just got slotted to drop another one this evening.... You're gonna have to start callin me the dean of drop...

Well, he's not even going to start until at least 1130...so maybe next weekend would be better? Either that or it would have to be around 2pm on Sunday...

Big Poppa

Well, your call... I'm totally an evening/night kinda person and it will take us almost no time to get it done... Tomorrow evening, Sunday afternoon or next weekend is all the same to me. I never do anything, pretty much have no life, so I don't have to navigate my plans.... I'm just not a morning person. However you wanna do it is cool, just lemmie know what works best for you.

Well, your call... I'm totally an evening/night kinda person and it will take us almost no time to get it done... Tomorrow evening, Sunday afternoon or next weekend is all the same to me. I never do anything, pretty much have no life, so I don't have to navigate my plans.... I'm just not a morning person. However you wanna do it is cool, just lemmie know what works best for you.

How about Sunday at around 2pm or so (you said you're not a morning person, but if you want to watch some NHL playoff action the game starts at 11)? We can grab dinner afterwards, my treat? I would say tomorrow night but I don't have a lot of light to work with here and I don't want you to drive down only to have him finish late then we're screwed.

Big Poppa

How about Sunday at around 2pm or so (you said you're not a morning person, but if you want to watch some NHL playoff action the game starts at 11)? We can grab dinner afterwards, my treat? I would say tomorrow night but I don't have a lot of light to work with here and I don't want you to drive down only to have him finish late then we're screwed.

Sunday at 2 works for me. Let's see if we can get Rich to meet us then. If not, we'll just make fun of him for having to get home for his scheduled metamucil session.

Marana Rich

Sorry, but work calls, and it is 300 miles away. If he needs a vehicle to move that big butt rear end, I am available, but I have to leave at noon Sunday.

Sunday at 2 works for me. Let's see if we can get Rich to meet us then. If not, we'll just make fun of him for having to get home for his scheduled metamucil session.

LOL no problem...Rich, I understand about work - believe me. Poppa what you need me to have available?