TPIS Headers and Arizona Air Quality.

Guest Kod_X

Guest Kod_X

I was kicking around getting a set of TPIS (with emissions) headers for my 88. The only thing I would be concerned with would be failing due to the absence of the pre-cats during the visual. It should pass the sniffer with the main cat still on. Could anyone chime in?

:howdy:

Brian.

I can't answer your question from experience, only what I've heard. I haven't had to go through emissions in probably 10 years. I do believe you'll have a problem on the visual. Bryan probably has the most experience with C3/C4 emissions. I'm sure he'll respond when available.

Good Luck! :howdy:

The only issue I have is will the computers at the emissions stations tell the workers there to look for pre-cats.

Unless the computers at the station tell them to look for both cats and pre-cats, the people working there will just look under the car with the mirrors and see the cats and will be happy with that.

I would contact a company like Xtreme Motorsports and ask them. They would know more about the C5 requirements than an me. I know about the older car standards, and how to dance around them, but the new stuff is territory I don't get into. I know that they don't even bring in new cars for the first 5 years.

I remember reading somewhere that you can remove precats if there is a main cat present and it is a "3 layer" or "3 in 1" type cat, ( I can't remember the name of it now)

My Vette is an 88. I should just call down at one of the testing stations to get it direct from the source.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Another contact is Exotic Muscle. All you need for AZ is to pass the visual and the sniffer. If you had precats you will need to have the outward apprearance of them ;) . Air tubes are also a must. The bottom line is all the emissions stuff must visually be there and it must pass the sniffer.

I will be installing a set of Exotic Muscle's headers with my 383. I have a 84 and I am installing a CatCo hi flow cat with Flowmaster 50's.