Head gasket project -NOW WITH PHOTOS!

F22trainer

Hey Mike is that you way up there off of Cave Creek? So Sunday is D-Day huh? I'll se if I can get my arse over there and help out and maybe get Jim to go with me. BTW: two things, what time on Sunday and the shiney header bolts are Stage 8 locking bolts. I figured you of all people would remember that... LOL! Oh I do have crows foot set, but they are metric, I can bring them if you need them.

One last thing... OMG! That is some serious goop in that motor, did you ever change the oil? Ok, I had to bust your stones on that one only because its a vette. :banannasword:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F22trainer

• Bigfoot

• anmracing2

• Desertdawg

Hey Mike is that you way up there off of Cave Creek? So Sunday is D-Day huh? I'll se if I can get my arse over there and help out and maybe get Jim to go with me. BTW: two things, what time on Sunday and the shiney header bolts are Stage 8 locking bolts. I figured you of all people would remember that... LOL! Oh I do have crows foot set, but they are metric, I can bring them if you need them.

One last thing... OMG! That is some serious goop in that motor, did you ever change the oil? Ok, I had to bust your stones on that one only because its a vette. :banannasword:

yeah - that be me! I figure around 9ish on Sunday, but whenever. And yes, I did change the oil but I found out that's what H2o does to oil! LOL! Just glad I caught it when I did. I know I was 1000 miles overdue, but yeeeesch! I got a crowfoot set. I was thinking of getting some SS socket head cap screws for the headers - your thoughts...will they sieze in that aluminum head or will they vibrate and strip? I can't get a socket on the ones that Exotic used - just plain old 7/16" heads. Ya I remember them tings alrighgt....

GREAT if you can bring Jim!

MANY THANKS, TOM!!

MH

I gotta agree about that gunk. Worst I've seen. I blew a head gasket on my 65 GTO Easy to diagnose as I was leaving a smoke trail bigtime out of left exhaust. I lived in Tucson at the time and read somewhere that ethyl glycol really wrecks the internals so pulled motor and took it to Doc's Engine who did the rebuild on it before I bought it. They said it just failed but I htough they probably messed up on the decking/milling somewhat as head gaskets rarely fail without a reason (permatorque blue). There was no internet back then, (Gore hadn't invented it yet) and I did this all my lonesome at the auto hobby shop on D-M. Talk about header problems, try headers on an old Pontiac 389 with the exhaust ports angling down rather than straight out the side. With the bends, there were some bolts that I had to contort my body into unnatural positions and if I was lucky, I'd get a sixth of a turn every 5-10 minutes. And that was in an engine compartment that had room to stand between the block and the fender. WIsh I still had that car. 389, carter AFB, m-21, 3.90 gears, hauled azz.

I'm new to the forum but will try to stop by Sun a.m. and introduce myself proper like. Anything else you are missing tools wise?

Roger

I gotta agree about that gunk. Worst I've seen. I blew a head gasket on my 65 GTO Easy to diagnose as I was leaving a smoke trail bigtime out of left exhaust. I lived in Tucson at the time and read somewhere that ethyl glycol really wrecks the internals so pulled motor and took it to Doc's Engine who did the rebuild on it before I bought it. They said it just failed but I htough they probably messed up on the decking/milling somewhat as head gaskets rarely fail without a reason (permatorque blue). There was no internet back then, (Gore hadn't invented it yet) and I did this all my lonesome at the auto hobby shop on D-M. Talk about header problems, try headers on an old Pontiac 389 with the exhaust ports angling down rather than straight out the side. With the bends, there were some bolts that I had to contort my body into unnatural positions and if I was lucky, I'd get a sixth of a turn every 5-10 minutes. And that was in an engine compartment that had room to stand between the block and the fender. WIsh I still had that car. 389, carter AFB, m-21, 3.90 gears, hauled azz.

I'm new to the forum but will try to stop by Sun a.m. and introduce myself proper like. Anything else you are missing tools wise?

Roger

...the more the merrier! I think we got everything covered on the tools.

Many THANX!!!

Michael

Cylinder heads are OK - needed some minor welding for gaps at ring. Springs good, no cracks.

Picking up tomorrow.

Michael

That's good news Micheal, at least you don't have to go shopping for new heads!!! :thumbs

You ain't jus whistlin' Dixie, Dawg. WHEW!

Install to take place Sunday starting 9-10ish. New gaskets and bolts to go with heads 3.5 Franklins total for everything - YIPPEE!

I should be ready to go with all the lifters and pushrods clean. Don't know how far we'll get, but if we can get to the point where the distributor is back in and engine is timed for a start - I'll be real happy.

BLEW X U has the EGR ?vacuum harness and othe stuff coming Monday. I have a light schedule next week and should be able to make the 15th deadline when roomie reposses her ride!

Michael

getting geared up for today - still got a couple lifters and need to prep the block...along with a few other things.

Anyone is welcome to stop by...assist or point, got food - but bring drinks (I have diet coke...)- chili is cooking also have snadwiches and pasta salad for break time!

I am sooooo bummed. :banghead I cannot make it. The wife with the inlaws went out to PIR to work the girls Dance Shop booth clean-up. So I am stuck home with all 3 kids and nowhere to leave them. :banghead :banghead :banghead

Sure looks better than the last time I saw it. You guys (that includes you M) did a great job!

Sean said it in another thread but this is definitely what ACE is all about! :thumbs

Wow, she's really taking shape. Based on the pics, I don't have to feel too bad about not making out there for you. Looks like you had plenty of help. :thumbs

This group is AWESOME. :thumbs

When is the estimated fire-up date???

THX for all the pics and vids, I guess I need to watch what I say when A has is "robo" cam out. THX for the help with the close up!!! :lol Just too much fun!

Great fun - great pic's.

Hoping to start up tomorrow night...

After closer inspection I decided to keep the same injectors - there was only one that REALLY looked bad inside the nozzle. I inverted it in some methanol for a few minutes and the swabbed it with a qtip carefull being careful to swirl everything OUT and it cleaned right up. The gaskets set had new o-rings so I replaced those.

Watch for updates later - I'm going out to set the fuel rails in!

Michael

Hey Michael,

Here's the pix we took today!

Man, I'm tired! Let me know if you need a ride to work!

602/762.0348

Andrew

I wuz whuped too....

Just an FYI:

I got tomorrow off - I'll be working all day to get it ready to start. I should be finishing up around quitting time for working folks.

I'd really like for you to be there when I work up the cajones to finally turn the key...in fact I probably won't try to start it without some ACE help standing by.

I keep getting an error when I try to PM - says my message must be more than 2 characters when it is well over that... :cfdeadagain

MY cell - (don't have it today) 480-703-7364

Maybe unplug the dist. and crank it over a few times so if any thing is out of whack it will be easier on it then if it started? Anyone else agree? :huh Robert :burnout

Sure looks better than the last time I saw it. You guys (that includes you M) did a great job!

Sean said it in another thread but this is definitely what ACE is all about! :thumbs

Gee, Eddie, thanks for giving me credit, but I'm just there for moral support - Tim, Michael, & Robert worked their buns off on that beast. Jack and Andrew worked half their buns off and Chad, well....I think he picked up a tool once. But he did make me a cocktail.

Thanks to Michael and Angel (who really put a fine bunch of food and beer out for the hungry guys! not to mention that her weekend off was kinda hijacked by ACE). I was really surprised how well some things went together compared to the disassembly. And so clean!

Too bad there is no video of Tim hitting his head on the hood a billion times or Robert's solo vocals. or maybe not.

Can't wait to start her up!

M~

Awesome pix an vids .. I am sorry I missed the fun :)

Hope there isnt too many more 'it's always somethin' weekends ..I am at my quota!

-Frank

Maybe unplug the dist. and crank it over a few times so if any thing is out of whack it will be easier on it then if it started? Anyone else agree? :huh Robert :burnout

Crank it with the dist. unplugged. If nothing screeches to a halt then crank it until the oil pressure comes up. Then I would say your ready to start it...

Since your not breaking in any new parts I would run it there in your carport until it reach's operating temps, then shut it off and drain the oil. There's no need in keeping it in for the first 300 miles for break-in.

Look real close for leaks, after it cools re-torque any bolts you need to, then change the oil and filter, if it doesn't come out in clumps I would say your ready for a drive...

Crank it with the dist. unplugged. If nothing screeches to a halt then crank it until the oil pressure comes up. Then I would say your ready to start it...

Since your not breaking in any new parts I would run it there in your carport until it reach's operating temps, then shut it off and drain the oil. There's no need in keeping it in for the first 300 miles for break-in.

Look real close for leaks, after it cools re-torque any bolts you need to, then change the oil and filter, if it doesn't come out in clumps I would say your ready for a drive...

:agree When filling her up with oil (provided you have not done so already) I would poor one quart in slowly over the rocker arms and springs letting it trickle down to the pan throuhg the heads in order to get a layer of oil down through there as well, unless you can put an electric drill on you oil pump and get it flowing that way.

:agree When filling her up with oil (provided you have not done so already) I would poor one quart in slowly over the rocker arms and springs letting it trickle down to the pan throuhg the heads in order to get a layer of oil down through there as well, unless you can put an electric drill on you oil pump and get it flowing that way.

THX, Already dun!

going OK...it's geting crowded in there.

Plug wires, smog pump, and alternator left to go. Had a rough time with the A/c. Runners were a bit of a challenge too as I had to take apart some of what I had done to get in little crap I forgot. DDDOOOHHH!!!

Long story short...

Andrew came by with Melissa last night and we fought hard to get ready for a start up. But the last thing - pulley did not fit the smog pump that I bought Monday. DDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!! :banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

Got my old one back this morning and put it on, along with some of the vacuum lines before I had to come to work.

WE'RE GOING TO TURN THE KEY TONITE - cross your fingers sports fans, and lets hope for a joyous finish to the day.

We'll get started around 6:30 ish if some of you want to be there for the intense ritual.

My Wife's out of town. Maybe I'll bring my McDonalds and my lawn chair for the show. See ya then!