Head gasket project -NOW WITH PHOTOS!

F22trainer

Guest racingchester

Remember to get the bolts in the right holes when putting the intake back on. Some one did my 90 and did not do this. had a leak (antifreeze) and had to take it apart to replace intake gasket.....

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F22trainer

• Bigfoot

• anmracing2

• Desertdawg

Remember to get the bolts in the right holes when putting the intake back on. Some one did my 90 and did not do this. had a leak (antifreeze) and had to take it apart to replace intake gasket.....

already hip to that Chuck...kinda surprised me when they were coming out of the intake in different lengths!

hey mike,

I have my stock injectors sitting in a box in the garage they only had about 3k miles on them when they were taken out and replaced with 60# ones. Let me know if you can use them. Also have some cheap jackstands too if you need em and a couple of floor jacks.

Want us to bring the jackstands tomorrow?

Andrew

Tim has me covered on the jackstands. could use a second jack to get it on them though.

Not sure if I can use the injectors or not Jack - but I'll find out!

Thanks all!

Not to steal any thunder, but what size injectors are those Jack??? IF Michael cannot use them I may be interested depending on how much bigger they are than stock C5 ones and how much $$?

Back to your regularly scheduled program. I'm hoping to stop by some time this weekend still. :xfinger

I looked at them and dont see anything that indicates what size they are but for some reason I wanna say I think their 24# but dont quote me on that, maybe ed or somebody can chime in here that might know for shure.

Mike I also have a small sissor jack that out of some small ricer that I use to get the car up enough to get the floor jacks under it, your welcome to use it too.

Michael, I have a case of Pennzoil that you can have if you want. I bought it for my Wife's Escape before we traded it for the Benz. Both the Vette and the Benz get Mobil 1 so it's been sitting on the shelf for over a year. Might be good for the first clean-up oil change.

Just a quick update from the F22trainer garage. I went over for a few mins to supervise and they have the driver's side head off and are well on their way to getting the passenger side head off.

Definitely some dirty gunk in there but doesn't look like anything serious on the driver's side. Michael says the leak was on the passenger side over #8 cylinder.

good news is that there didn't appear to be any actual head gasket leakage. Likely the water came from the extremely loose intake.

Bad news is that the right bank was difficult and I'm thinking we're gonna have trouble fitting the torque wrench in to button it back up. I don't think any of us thought about that when we decided not to pull the header all the way out....Michael, you might want to take a look-see and tell us if you agree.

We'll all be back next weekend to put her back together - photos to follow.

M~ :melissa:

good news is that there didn't appear to be any actual head gasket leakage. Likely the water came from the extremely loose intake.

Bad news is that the right bank was difficult and I'm thinking we're gonna have trouble fitting the torque wrench in to button it back up. I don't think any of us thought about that when we decided not to pull the header all the way out....Michael, you might want to take a look-see and tell us if you agree.

We'll all be back next weekend to put her back together - photos to follow.

M~ :melissa:

I'm thinkin' we can get in there OK - may try to get the dipstik tube out to pull that header.

need to plan on Sunday.

Goin to the race on Sat.

OK, I'm a little tired, but don't want to deprive my fans of the latest foibles.

After we got the beast in the air, it was not long before the left side was free of the header and head was off, as per Ed's report. A & M, Tim, and Robert did take a break to let me sprain my giblets and prove I really did take all those other parts off without any help! I think my voice has returned to normal after reefin' on those head bolts. It took everyone combined to get the right side clear though - and header is still hanging - I think we can get the torque wrench in OK but it will be interesting. Phil stopped by and helped me clean up all the goo in the galley, as well as get the lifters out - that cover was what holds them in. Don't know if they'll clean up but will find out tomorrow. It's looking better already.

I can't thank you all enough and I had great fun working on it with you all. THANK YOU THANK YOU YHANK YOU: Eddie, for the case of "break-in" oil, Tim for the jack stands and the use of his special fingers with eyeballs on the tips, Andrew and Melisssa for the extra jack and ratchet of 1001 positions, Robert for his unusual talent for working in confined spaces and the usual humor as well as Jack and his daughter for stopping in to lend moral support. Phil also brought his daughter and friend who were so nice to let their dad help me before they went to Dave & Busters...THANKS girls, and Thanks Phil!

Went to Pepe' boys to get a few things to keep me cleaning tomorrow...

I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel - I just hope it's not another train.

I'll be cleaning stuff all day tomorrow if anyone wants to stop in an get to know my car a little better and play with her parts. Drinks and food will be provided!

480-703-7364

...and Chad - your stock has moved to my house now :neener_neener::markdrink:

guess my text pales in comparisson to Andrews awesome video diary

THANKS ANDREW!!!

Awesome video :)

You can see clearly where the coolant has been .. looks like you found the problem :)

The good news is ..reassembly us just as much fun as disassembly :)

It's pure magic when she fires up at the end of it all .. all kinda good vibes :)

Wanted to go .. couldn't.

You know how it's always somethin?

-Frank

First chore of the day I figured I'd take the lifters apart and clean them - first one was interesting and goopy, but a success.

Only 15 more to go...

And on a side note, Angel will be in town Thurs. for the race on Sat. We plan to have a pot of REAL mexican chili for the REAL pit crew on Sunday. REAL chili has no beans, no tomato sauce, and no onions - you add that on the side if you want, along with jalapeñoes and cheese. Fresh flour tortillas and cold bev's will make a great finish. It's something I only make for special friends as it's mi' abuela's recipe.

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

I wanted to swing by after bowling today, but did not get done until after 5:30...I should have just gone to your place...it was uuuuuuugly.

Anyway, I am going to try and put you on my priority list for Sunday one way or another. :thumbs

Gives you plenty of time to clean that mess up!!!

Andrew

...and I'm going to need every minute I can get too.

Cleaning those lifters, I can see that I was probably about a mile short of some really bad things. They are cleaning up well, but some have been very difficult to get apart due to the goop and suctiion - some the springs would not even collapse. A brief soak helps break the suction, but it still requires some brute force and a stainless steel dental tool in the alignment hole to get it (plungers) to move. All the carbon stains come off easily and those are brown - not black with no visible scuffing. All the rollers are working good after cleaning but some are pretty stiff before. Between the air compressor, dental tools from my model-building days, some solvent and a helluva lot of q-tips they come out real fine...and I'm already halfway done with them all! (Did you know each lifter has 12 moving parts!) I hope to have them all finished by tomorrow nite so I can start on the rest of the stuff. Trying to priioritze, but it's tough to do when you need to be doing everything! LOL!

I am really glad I did decide to do this myself...I just hope I have everything to get it back together and running on Sunday, or am I wishful thinking?

MH

Oh Mike, I feel your pain Bro and sorry to hear about the troubles. A SBC is a SBC is a... and they easy enough to adjust valves, stab the dizzy etc... I would be more than willing to help you to return the favor of you helping me with the engine pull. The timing sucks a bit for me though because we are jumping out our a$$ on the magazine project car and its crunch time. The owner (from Wyoming) will be picking the car up next Friday and we still have a few things to finish up and a little dyno time is needed.

Let me know what your plan on doing and I'll try like hell to help you out the best way possible. Count me in! I'm sure we can rustle up a few more ACE members to help on the assembly. :banannadance:

Oh Mike, I feel your pain Bro and sorry to hear about the troubles. A SBC is a SBC is a... and they easy enough to adjust valves, stab the dizzy etc... I would be more than willing to help you to return the favor of you helping me with the engine pull. The timing sucks a bit for me though because we are jumping out our a$$ on the magazine project car and its crunch time. The owner (from Wyoming) will be picking the car up next Friday and we still have a few things to finish up and a little dyno time is needed.

Let me know what your plan on doing and I'll try like hell to help you out the best way possible. Count me in! I'm sure we can rustle up a few more ACE members to help on the assembly. :banannadance:

Thanks, Tom! I figured you've been busy - ees OK, Bro! Do what you gotta do. I appreciate the offer! Would be great to see ya again as well - but you don't owe me! LOL! I had gret fun that day and learned a lot too - am using your sandwich baggie trick for the lifters! HA! BTW, where's you get those shiny header bolts??

Good luck with the car - send photo's Dude!

The cavalry is set to arrive here on Sunday...we'll see how it goes, but I'm gonna bust a hump to get it done cuz' roomie is coming back to get her car on the 15th....wouldn't ya know it! She's been in INDOC training with airlines and NOW that my car takes a dump she decides to come back - she let me use it to offset "storage fees" as all her stuff is packed and ready to go (Chicago) but in my extra add-on room. Yeah, I know, blah blah blah...

If you get the chance check out the pic's from A&M's post on Saturday - we had fun AND got something done!

BTW -where's Jim? (Red C4) Would like to pick his brain on some of this stuff, namely the emissions equip. workarounds. He did such a nice job on his C4 engine

I wanted to swing by after bowling today, but did not get done until after 5:30...I should have just gone to your place...it was uuuuuuugly.

Anyway, I am going to try and put you on my priority list for Sunday one way or another. :thumbs

shouldda let me bowl for ya and you couldda worked on my car!

PBA Tour - 1976 on 12 week amateur exemption. 7 - 300 games and not one sanctioned, all in practice. 231 entry average, 245 finish with a 728 series...damn that was FUN!!!!

I can still roll 18 - 22 boards of gutter hugging hook with a finish that makes the hair on your neck stand up - Earl Anthony worked with me in Oregon a couple of times, but I had the hook before I met him in the late 80's, he was my childhood hero. Wasn't much money in it then - and I couldn't sponsor myself to practice a 20 game a day habit.

...hard to do it for fun now.

OH CRAP>>>someone say :hijack:

PBA Tour - 1976 on 12 week amateur exemption. 7 - 300 games and not one sanctioned, all in practice. 231 entry average, 245 finish with a 728 series...damn that was FUN!!!!

I can still roll 18 - 22 boards of gutter hugging hook with a finish that makes the hair on your neck stand up - Earl Anthony worked with me in Oregon a couple of times, but I had the hook before I met him in the late 80's, he was my childhood hero. Wasn't much money in it then - and I couldn't sponsor myself to practice a 20 game a day habit.

Well then, once your car is done we need to have an ACE bowl off. :lol

Well then, once your car is done we need to have an ACE bowl off. :lol

Good idea Sean - New thread?