Head gasket project -NOW WITH PHOTOS!

F22trainer

Here are your pictures Michael

Thanks Phil - I think I figure'd it out as well!

VICTORY!

How you been doin?

been very busy with work and all, hope all is going as good as it can. Hope you get it all taken care of soon. I have not ever done the type of work that you are doing with your car, so I can not lend any advise. If you are still working on it this Saturday, maybe I will stop by on Saturday.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F22trainer

• Bigfoot

• anmracing2

• Desertdawg

What a mess. :U Let us know if we can do anything. Robert :burnout

I have found also-it cleans up nicely with paper towels-which I'm glad I last bought them at Sam's in bulk.

I think you may have been right Frank, hopefully nothing wrong in the combustion chambers. Since I got it apart, I will go ahead and have the heads done at the very least.

I remember helping my grandfather with a car he was forced to reposses for the credit union he managed. The owners had never changed the oil or taken care of it - I know he was pissed because he used to own the car before they got it. It was a 73 Caprice - we took the valve covers off and went to work with GUNK and brushes to clean off the sludge (he was about 60ish then). when they looked clean he replaced the gaskets and covers, added a can of engine flush and ran it for about 15 minutes at idle only - it blew a heck of cloud of smoke but fired right up. After that he shut it off and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then drained the oil, pulled the filter, and let it drain over night. Next morning (at 5 AM) he was up, put a new filter on and filled her up with plain SAE 30 and fired it up again - another cloud of smoke followed but smaller than the first. He spent the rest of the day cleaning her up inside and then drove it to work all the next week, then changed the oil and filter again. It NEVER smoked again...a cousin bought it and moved to Houston with it and drove it for another 5 years before he sold it - still running and no major work done to her.

oh wel...just thought I'd share a cool story with ya'll tonite.

The goal now is to get the heads to a shop - after I get a crowfoot wrench that is - and clean up as much of the engine compartment as possible - you know I kept it pretty clean but DAMN all the dirt you CAN'T see. I got lots of parts to clean and shine as well, so any one is welcome to stop by and we'll proceed to make her "Corvette pretty" I have been working on it until about 9 every night and I'm sure I can find enough to keep me busy all day Sat and Sun - all offers of assistance are welcome and it would make a great pizza party!

pancakes.jpg

Want some pancakes to go with that maple syrup you were making Micheal?

With the mileage you have I'm not surprised at the inside, carbon is some nasty stuff...

Wow, that is one ugly mess in there. I'm very busy this weekend, but I'll see if I can squeeze some time in.

Sorry Michael,

I couldn't break away from work yesterday so I didn't get a chance to find out the name of that place. It was actually recommended to me by Phoenix Engine. Maybe you can give them a call and ask them what the name of it is.

What a mess is right. Putting her back together should be a breeze.......

See you Saturday.

Andrew

Wow, that is one ugly mess in there. I'm very busy this weekend, but I'll see if I can squeeze some time in.

having seen a gunky mess like that - if it weren't mine I'd be busy too.

Most of that will be gone by the time you guys see it.

Andrrew - you have crowfoot wrenches???

See ya laater

MH

I just checked Melissa's tools too. Neither one of us has crow foot wrenches.

Sorry.

Gee, so far I haven't been any help at all...............

Andrew

taking the heads to B&B in Mesa tomorrow AM, as recommended by sloryde Joe at Classic. They said they will be ready middle of next week - Monday if I could get them there today, but no chance of that.

As painfull as this is, it will all be worth it when it is over.... :cheers

Those thought's HAVE crossed my mind during some of the more injurious moments.

THANX for the reminder

:thumbs

Did you find the crowfoot wrench you needed? I have some and live kinda close to ya let me know what size your looking for if you still need one.

Did you find the crowfoot wrench you needed? I have some and live kinda close to ya let me know what size your looking for if you still need one.

YES- I believe it's 7/16....I'm on my way home in 5 minutes - I'll PM you when I verify. Should be home in 20 min's

THANKYOU SO MUCH!

MH

correction - I did not find one yet - I still need one

PM sent -

you're welcome to swing by also if you want to view the carnage.

2533 E. Vista Dr.

scramble after work to get tools - part of the job...

travel to 2 part stores to find the tool you need - $15.00 + gas...

having to buy the tool you need sold only in a set of 8 - typical...

going to the bank to get cash because their card machine is down...wait, it gets better...

returning home ready to begin - and your only drop light renders itself inoperative when you try to turn it on:

F#*@*#!*'n ...PRICELESS.

I learned something else too - a crowfoot wrench is a lot like a 4 wheel drive: it won't get you everywhere you want to go, but it will get you stuck in places you never thought you could get to.

nother' new development: headers will have to come completely out: no way to get a torque wrench in otherwise (you guys probably already knew that and been snickering all along LOL). But I did get the header bolts all out and the pushrods...on the left side.

this is killin' me...but think of the money I'm saving!

I think I'm going to stay at a Holiday Inn tomorrow.

I printed a map to your house incase I find some free minutes thise weekend. Can't promise anything though.

nother' new development: headers will have to come completely out: no way to get a torque wrench in otherwise) you guys probably already new that and been snickering all along LOL). But I did get the header bolts all out and the pushrods...on the left side.

I may get flamed for this.. but for me header bolts are definitely one of those "tight enough but not too tight" bolts... There is no need to get a torque wrench on them. If you've turned a wrench before you know about how tight to get them. :burnout2

nother' new development: headers will have to come completely out: no way to get a torque wrench in otherwise) you guys probably already new that and been snickering all along LOL). But I did get the header bolts all out and the pushrods...on the left side.

I may get flamed for this.. but for me header bolts are definitely one of those "tight enough but not too tight" bolts... There is no need to get a torque wrench on them. If you've turned a wrench before you know about how tight to get them. :burnout2

no flame intended here...

yeah - you're right about that, and they weren't tough to get loose. Torque wrench would be for the heads - Headers are covering 4 of the lower bolts though I could get them off with a wrench. They won't move out of the way enough on left side because of steering arm...can't wait to see what new discoveries await on the right side.

Just think of the bragging rights you'll have when your done, being able to say YOU fixed it is a major accomplishment...

Having built a couple of motors myself, it's always great to say you know how.

Just think of the bragging rights you'll have when your done, being able to say YOU fixed it is a major accomplishment...

That's what we (in education anyway) call intrinsic value, which kids these days seem to have none of. :lol

Amen, brother!

Are you workin on it today am or early afternoon???

negative sir...I don't finish my last class until 5:30. I'll be home around 5:45.

need to find some jack stands now - maybe I'll go buy me a set.

Guess I'm at the point where I need to start my shopping lists. Have several things that fall in the should I / shouldn't I replace category i.e. injectors, some emissions stuff, etc.

thanks for the offer though, Tim. You're welcome to dig in solo - I can let ya in!!! :partydance:

Are you workin on it today am or early afternoon???

negative sir...I don't finish my last class until 5:30. I'll be home around 5:45.

need to find some jack stands now - maybe I'll go buy me a set.

Guess I'm at the point where I need to start my shopping lists. Have several things that fall in the should I / shouldn't I replace category i.e. injectors, some emissions stuff, etc.

thanks for the offer though, Tim. You're welcome to dig in solo - I can let ya in!!! :partydance:

call me 6two353five74o2