Head gasket project -NOW WITH PHOTOS!

F22trainer

Id bet $5 that this is just a head gasket leak.

I have seen when heads take a shit and the oil is unmistakable "coca" colored.

by you only having bubbbels that is the lesser of 2 evils.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F22trainer

• Bigfoot

• anmracing2

• Desertdawg

Id bet $5 that this is just a head gasket leak.

I have seen when heads take a shit and the oil is unmistakable "coca" colored.

by you only having bubbbels that is the lesser of 2 evils.

ROGER THAT....

I'm in now - just got the plenum off - fuel rails are next...

one things for sure - it will go back together nice and clean the way I like it!!!!

Hey Michael,

Sorry we couldn't stop by. I had to replace a drain....... A simple job turns into an all day ordeal!!!!

But your finding that out right now.

I'm gonna stop by next Saturday for sure. I'm taking the day off to help you out. So let me know what time I should stop by and what tools I need to bring. BFH, duct tape and bailing wire??????

We will definately see you next weekend!

Andrew

Hey Michael,

Sorry we couldn't stop by. I had to replace a drain....... A simple job turns into an all day ordeal!!!!

But your finding that out right now.

I'm gonna stop by next Saturday for sure. I'm taking the day off to help you out. So let me know what time I should stop by and what tools I need to bring. BFH, duct tape and bailing wire??????

We will definately see you next weekend!

Andrew

ALL help will be appreciated 10 fold...I'm making progress. Patio table full of parts. Got one valve cover off and it's UGLY in there. Oil looks like tar could see some coolant above #7. I can see right now I need to get a pan to clean all this stuff in. Plentum is off, runners Off, fuel rails off, accessories off, just about to dive into the serious stuff.

I am at the point now where I'm lookin at all the wires, hoses, anti pollutuion vacuum shit and saaying to myself "what have I gotten myself into..."

...in the words of Gus Grissom "Lord don't let me screw up"

Michael

OK...hands are clean now and tools stowed for the night.

any words of wisdom before I start removing distributor and timing stuff. I'm not quite that far yet but I want to give you guys time to chime in.

I'm still fighting with the A/c, but after that the intake will be ready tocome off and that means distributor too. Mostly lookin to hear what NOT to do.

After that I may be doing some head scratching.

Time to read the manual before bed!

Robert

You've been way too quiet...

You up for helping next weekend? BTW - the cigar you gave me for my B day was EXCELLENT!

L98 right? If so... mark the rotor position vs. the distributor body position with a sharpie... also mark the distributor body vs. intake manifold position with that same sharpie. Makes going back together MUCH easier!

OK...hands are clean now and tools stowed for the night.

any words of wisdom before I start removing distributor and timing stuff. I'm not quite that far yet but I want to give you guys time to chime in.

I'm still fighting with the A/c, but after that the intake will be ready tocome off and that means distributor too. Mostly lookin to hear what NOT to do.

After that I may be doing some head scratching.

Time to read the manual before bed!

Robert

You've been way too quiet...

You up for helping next weekend? BTW - the cigar you gave me for my B day was EXCELLENT!

Was waiting to see was was going to happen. Sat. is good for me. What time? Oh, and just for the record it's been 30+ years since I tore into an engine :eek so knowledge is limited but I can wrench. And glad you liked it. :thumbs Robert :burnout

:eek 30 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Andrew

but it's just like riding a bicycle - except it's easier to fall off and to scrape your knuckles.

UPDATE:

I can see all the head bolts!

I'm at the point where I could probably use some extra hands but I'll keep mucking through. Mostly cleaned up in there tonite to avoid dropping dirt inside engine when I pull intake and heads. A/c is in the way of removing the bracket which holds the A/C compressor and belt tensioner - can't seem to find a way to hold compressor up and maneuver the bracket out - but it's all loose. Got the headers all loosened up too. Water pump and P/S pump would be next and then distributor. Then the intake is ready to come off and the I think the heads should go right after that.

Now, when I pull the heads... little help / adivice what not to do - should I just unbolt the rocker arms and pull the rods (keeping them in order of course), then unbolt the heads? I could possibly have heads off tomorrow night and off to a shop Wed morning - I'm thinking I'd be smart to have the valves done, etc. while they're off the car, plus I'm sure they need to get magnaflux. Anyone know of a good shop nearby Cave Creek and Greenway? Otherwise I don't mind a drive to someplace reputable.

Dwayne - jump in any time...

Tom (Buccaneer)? Is Jim still in our circle - I know he did a real nice job an his C4 - I'd sure like to pick his brain! Don't remember if he was on the :ACE: forum

So what's the best way to clean those heads up? Sholuld I just put 'em in a box and let the shop do it? Simple green....JK, mineral spirits? Lacquer thinner? And what do I do with all the GOOPY stuff? Suggestions please... I'd like to also clean the valve covers and maybe put a fresh finish on them.

Also, once I have it apart I need to get the gunk out of the engine block - Could I do that with engine flushand fresh oil, put about an hour on the engine and then drain it change filter and refill ,then change again after a couple hundred miles? I hate to think about dropping the oil pan, but I read it can be done without pulling the engine.

Michael

I think dropping the oil pan would be a must in your case with the oil being so mucked up. Probably need to get some crank cleaning done too.

Hmm .. sounds like it may just be coolant leak into the head, not head gasket at all?

You may just have to replace gaskets and oil if that's the problem.

No combustion chamber stuff goin on in that case :)

As for alla wiring and bits .. get some tape, I useda use fairly thin (1/4" wide) ..and just label everything.

Can take photos as you go also, showing what's where. If you got no idea what the wire is, just label it with a number and the connector it goes to with the same number so you can match em up on reassembly.

For cleaning .. carb cleaner and ideally a vibrating tank (ultrasound cleaning works very well with the carb cleaner about 100 degrees) .. or . can take em to a shop and have them do it :)

-Frank (Saturday, cool :)

Now, when I pull the heads... little help / adivice what not to do - should I just unbolt the rocker arms and pull the rods (keeping them in order of course), then unbolt the heads? I could possibly have heads off tomorrow night and off to a shop Wed morning - I'm thinking I'd be smart to have the valves done, etc. while they're off the car, plus I'm sure they need to get magnaflux. Anyone know of a good shop nearby Cave Creek and Greenway? Otherwise I don't mind a drive to someplace reputable.

Dwayne - jump in any time...

When you get to the heads, loosen all of the rockers enough to pull out each pushrod, keep the pushrods in order, leave the rockers on the head if you want. You can use a piece of cardboard with holes and numbers to store the pushrods.

Leave the lifters in the block for now, just make sure to lay a clean cloth or some plastic over the entire galley to keep and debris out after you lift off the intake.

Remove all of the head bolts, no particular order, BUT leave at least one center top bolt started in the threads for safety, your probably going to have to beat the heads off with a rubber mallet, you may even had to pry them off. just be careful and work globally around the head, don't center all of the force in one spot.

Once the head breaks loose and you have a spot to set it after removal, take out the last remaining bolt and lift the head off of the block...

As you remove the head the gasket should stay on the block, but it may stick to the head too. try to keep it intact so you can hopefully find the flaw. It will probably be weak were the leak is, so it should pull apart there.

Even if it's just a gasket, you would be smart to at least have the heads cleaned and checked.

If you don't find any metal debris anywhere, then you can probably cheat the oil pan.

After you drain the oil, you can flush out the pan by pouring some stuff into the block from the top. Look for the oil drain back holes in the galley, my choice would be some diesel fuel, since it's still petroleum based. pour some in and let it soak for a little bit then drain it. repeat if necessary! {flame suit on!!!}

I found a post on CF from a C4 with similar problems.

he posted a bunch of pictuers of his tear down.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1983385

I hope this helps

chad

Chad's on a roll -I think I used to date that chick

now just exactly how would that help - I'm good but I can't dance and turn wrenches at the same time!

Funny! Nice double whammy!

Did you get anywhere with it today?

Andrew

Aye, Capt'n,

not as far as I'd like... was hoping to get heads off tonite. I did get distributor, intake, and all the remaining brackets so it's a clear shot out with the heads now, I need to do some more cleaning before I yank those pupies also.

And since I had not eaten much of anything all day, I had to stop for food - damnit. Now it's time to sign of so I can make it up in time for work tomorrow.

If I can get the things off tomorrow eve, and find a shop / drop off early Thurs morning...I MIGHT get them for Sat. AM - but I'm not betting on it. I've heard some bad stuff about Phoenix engine...they're right by me at the airport, but I'd rather take stock in someone reputable - so I gotta do some research quick.

all suggestions still welcome...I do wish I had taken more pic's - great suggestion but too late. Oh well, it can only go back together one way - the same way it came apart.

stay tuned...

Michael

I've heard some bad stuff about Phoenix engine

Do not, I repeat DO NOT do business with them. I have first hand exerpence with them. They held me hostage for 6 months. grrrrrr.....

I've heard some bad stuff about Phoenix engine

Do not, I repeat DO NOT do business with them. I have first hand exerpence with them. They held me hostage for 6 months. grrrrrr.....

That's what I thought...

Thanks C! :thumbs

The only place I know of is B&B Machine on Broadway but that's Mesa.

There is a place behind that McDonalds going west on Deer Valley Rd. I don't remember the name but I'll see if I can figure it out today at lunch....

Andrew

The only place I know of is B&B Machine on Broadway but that's Mesa.

There is a place behind that McDonalds going west on Deer Valley Rd. I don't remember the name but I'll see if I can figure it out today at lunch....

Andrew

Found a shop in Mesa - courtesy of Pan Am Mechanic...what did you learn.

I learned tonite I need a crowfoot wrench to get 3 header bolts out...

Suppose this is worth mentioing...after a close look tonite with some additional light, I noticed that the valley is mostly covered with the brown goo - except for a very CLEAN channel at the very back of the right head above the #8 cylinder. That is also where the coolant leak was visible before I began disassemby. I remember the bolts at that location were also very loose and came out too easily. There was also a very ugly odor when they came out. Is it possible all this was caused by an intake leak?

I still have plenty to do to clean everything, and I still have to get those header bols off before I can pull the heads. Is doubtful I can get ready to reassemble by Saturday...crap :bang :bang :bang

lets see if this works...

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

Here are your pictures Michael

Thanks Phil - I think I figure'd it out as well!

VICTORY!

How you been doin?