my car is making a strange noise

jagoff

So yesterday in stop and go traffic on the highway i heard someones brakes dragging, they were mine it turns out. im trying to figure out what i need to do. i really dont want to take it in if its something i can quickly tighten up in my driveway. i think it might be my e-brake, but im not sure... any help is greatly appreciated.

-Pete-

try to identify which wheel is making the noise. pull the wheel and look at the brake pads to see one is worn more than the other if they have even wear then the caliber is floating like it should. Then most likely it is the parking brake. It may have a broken retractor spring in there. good luck

Allmost forgot while your in there check the tattletale tabs on the pads sometime they will make a scraping niose instead of a squealing noise when they first start touching the caliper.

try to identify which wheel is making the noise. pull the wheel and look at the brake pads to see one is worn more than the other if they have even wear then the caliber is floating like it should. Then most likely it is the parking brake. It may have a broken retractor spring in there. good luck

Allmost forgot while your in there check the tattletale tabs on the pads sometime they will make a scraping niose instead of a squealing noise when they first start touching the caliper.

they are making a sotof hiss squeak noise like im barely on the brakes. not a real damaging sound.... at least i hope

Some info need is, when does the noise occur (on or off the brake pedal), how many miles on the Vette? Maybe you're in need of brakes. My C5 needed front brakes at about 27k and I still hadn't done the rears when I traded it with 56k.

Some info need is, when does the noise occur (on or off the brake pedal), how many miles on the Vette? Maybe you're in need of brakes. My C5 needed front brakes at about 27k and I still hadn't done the rears when I traded it with 56k.

the noise occurs a low speeds when im off the brakes... i just bought the car in january, and it was GM certified so they said they replaced all that stuff

Do the Vettes have wear marks that automatically squeal telling you TIME TO CHANGE PADS?

Adjusting the emergency brake is easy. Once you take off the rotors you will see a honeycomb type adjuster. Simply adjust it the direction you need it to go, to loosen or tighten the disc. A screwdriver will be needed to spin it.

Do the Vettes have wear marks that automatically squeal telling you TIME TO CHANGE PADS?

Adjusting the emergency brake is easy. Once you take off the rotors you will see a honeycomb type adjuster. Simply adjust it the direction you need it to go, to loosen or tighten the disc. A screwdriver will be needed to spin it.

i am curious about this too, i wonder if its possible for the e brake to be loose enough to drag on the rotor...? thanks for the help on how to adjust the E brake man.

Well, the e-brake is a drum brake built into the rear rotors, and if they're out of adjustment, they will be less effective, not too effective. Chances are that you just have some brake dust in thhe contact area of the pad. Disc brakes are supposed to just barely drag all the time. They have a square cut O-ring that flexes outward with the piston in the caliper when the brakes are applied. When the brakes are released, the O-ring goes back to normal, retracting the piston. It never really retracts far enough to have no contact with the rotor, so the slightest amount of dust can get trapped between the rotor and the pad, causing the dragging noise. You may also have a small crack in the pad, causing an edge to drag more prominently on the rotor, again giving you the noise.

I would say, without hearing it, that there's probably no problem. Unless it's a distinct metal to metal grinding or squealng, no worries. If you want, you can swing by in the next couple days, and we can yank the wheels to have us a look see. Just lemmie know.

Well, the e-brake is a drum brake built into the rear rotors, and if they're out of adjustment, they will be less effective, not too effective. Chances are that you just have some brake dust in thhe contact area of the pad. Disc brakes are supposed to just barely drag all the time. They have a square cut O-ring that flexes outward with the piston in the caliper when the brakes are applied. When the brakes are released, the O-ring goes back to normal, retracting the piston. It never really retracts far enough to have no contact with the rotor, so the slightest amount of dust can get trapped between the rotor and the pad, causing the dragging noise. You may also have a small crack in the pad, causing an edge to drag more prominently on the rotor, again giving you the noise.

I would say, without hearing it, that there's probably no problem. Unless it's a distinct metal to metal grinding or squealng, no worries. If you want, you can swing by in the next couple days, and we can yank the wheels to have us a look see. Just lemmie know.

right on. im gonig camping friday night, i will call you on saturday, but its probably gonna be sunday. if thats cool...

Ya, after a long drive, lick each of the wheels to judge the temp, and call me right after.... :thumbs:smilelol

Sunday should work just fine.

Haha! No need to lick your car (not that there's anything wrong with that..) If a caliper is dragging the rotor will be HOT and the heat will transfer to your lug nuts and wheel. Good test for a wheel bearings going bad too.

Haha! No need to lick your car (not that there's anything wrong with that..)

That just earned you a new tag line.... :lol