C3 Window Regulator Repaired.

Phill's Vette

Phill's Vette

Finally got the time and mustered up the courage to dive into my Right side power window mechanism; I had a striped out regulator gear and bought a tooth replacement kit $39 and new rollers. With this kit, all you have to do is mount the teeth plate over the old regulator and drill 3 holes to bolt it up. I went further and ground off the old teeth and the bolt heads that hold the new teeth plate.

All went well but took about 5 hrs, no window adjustments were needed as I didn't have to remove the glass or the vertical rails. The regulator spring was broken and I did not have a replacement :chris So I will be doing this AGAIN when I get the damm spring - I will chalk it up as experience. The window goes up and down very smoothly, but without the spring it just comes down faster so no major problem for now.

:thumbs

Before

msybsg.jpg

After

vmyis8.jpg

New Teeth/Old Teeth

i1zghe.jpg

Regulator with old teeth grinded off

f2j3na.jpg

With new tooth plate insdalled

280319j.jpg

Yeh What Sean said

Great pics there

So do i need the rivit to replace the spring or just the new spring?

So I will be doing this AGAIN when I get the damm spring - I will chalk it up as experience.

Yeah, about 10 more times. Let us know when you wear out the screws that hold the door panel on....

I think over the years I was in the drivers door about a cool dozen times. :banghead

So I will be doing this AGAIN when I get the damm spring - I will chalk it up as experience.

Yeah, about 10 more times. Let us know when you wear out the screws that hold the door panel on....

I think over the years I was in the drivers door about a cool dozen times. :banghead

Just did my C4 Passenger door yesterday. Replaced the entire regualtor and motor. Its a great feeling being done with that project and learned a hell of a lot along the way for the next time lol.

Phill's Vette
Yeh What Sean said

Great pics there

So do i need the rivit to replace the spring or just the new spring?

As long as the rivet is in good shape I sure wouldn't mess with it - looks like spring rivet replacement would be a PITA! Mine was in good shape, just surface rust which I will white grease the hell out of when I install the new spring.

Dawg,

I already had to install new door panel screws.....

Good Job!!! I get to do my wifes doors next weekend, complete rebuild. They are not power windows, so I think the challange might be a bit less.

Nice one Phill... Now you can come over and do mine. :banannasword: I just finished removing the new Milodon pump that went bad and replaced it with an Edelbrock aluminum HV pump. Well... No leaks yet. :banannadance:

Phill's Vette
Nice one Phill... Now you can come over and do mine. :banannasword: I just finished removing the new Milodon pump that went bad and replaced it with an Edelbrock aluminum HV pump. Well... No leaks yet. :banannadance:

Tom,

I'll do your windows if you install my high torque mini starter..... :cool So was your leak coming from the pump?? What part of the pump went bad?

In case I miss your call again.... where did you get your high torque mini starter? I am DONE messing with heat soak and have done everything except the mini starter replacement!

:thumbs

The first time it was out of the bottom bolt, second time the weep hole. :( I bought the starter at either Jegs or Sumitt, not sure which one though. I'll be at the car show tonight if your going.