Cool little telecom gizmo

TEXAZC6

Saw this deal on the news last week and they offered a 30 no risk trial so I figured WTF?

Magicjack website

THis deal plugs into a USB port, configures itself and goes through a registration process and presto, you have free phone service including long distance, 3 way (calling that is) call waiting, VM, the works.

I've been looking for a way to get rid of my land line and hopefully (we'll see if it can work with alarm company) this is it.

May be a great solution with kids who are on the phone a lot of if you rack up serious long distance bills, etc.

Called a couple of people with it and accepted a few incoming calls and the quality is the same as the normal phone.

Cost is $40 for the gizmo and $20 PER YEAR after that so if you can get rid of your land line you can finally tell Qwest to get bent.

Just FYI.

nogthing in this life is for free. trust me there are reasons why that is only $20 peryear.

I'm SURE there's no 911 service.

nogthing in this life is for free. trust me there are reasons why that is only $20 peryear.

that is common for most VOIP (voice Over IP [internet]) soultions not to have 911. What i mean is that the quality will be very bad and when you try to call for support, you will get a buzy signal. You will have to email for a trouble ticket and then "they " will say 'oh its your internet connection, not us. have a nice day'

If you ask me Vonnage is the only one i would suggest. Evan then i would be carefull. Vonnage is nice to sign up, but if you want to cancel that is the rub.

It is a common business practice to hide the 1-800 to disconnect and make it VERY difficult to cancel any service.

If you stop paying they take you to collections.

If you do cancel there service they still have your Phone Number. They can drag there feet for WEEKS to release that number to your new provider (the term is called Porting), and during that time of 3 weeks you have no phone line.

who you gona complain to? they [vonnage] do not have any FCC regulations or Goverment laws to regulate there business practice.

my 2 cts

Now that I have torn apart your post :D thank you for the link tho..

chad

:withstupid

I have used both Packet 8 (now defunct I think) and Vonage (notice the spelling Cahd...). They both had great features at a good price, but the voice quality ...

S U C K E D!!!!!!

There were times that you just couldn't have a conversation. I have great internet service, that was not the problem. I had the VOIP service for my daughter to use, I have a cell for all my calls. It got so bad that when she called, I wouldn't answer. Tried to get the service fixed through both providers, and they never did anything. Always blamed it on my internet, or just said "I don't know... Is there anything else I can do for you?" And I was locked into a contract, so I couldn't cancel.

My opinion would be try the little deely bopper first mentioned in this thread. It flat couldn't be worse than the crap crap crap crap crap service you'll get from Vonage or Packet 8.

As a side note, my roommate has Comcast phone, and she seems happy. I refuse to talk on it, out of principal, so I can't say one way or the other. She does like to bitch about things though, so the fact that she hasn't may say something....

Told Qwest to get bent a few years ago, been with Cox ever since. :lol

So you're saying you like Cox? Just can't get enough Cox? :leaving

Seriously, who named that company?! haha!

Cox in demand!!!

I quote 1Jester here...

"What happens when you don't pay your cable bill?"

"They cut off your Cox"

Yes there is. You have to type in your contact info so that it shows to the operator when you call 911.

:withstupid

I have used both Packet 8 (now defunct I think) and Vonage (notice the spelling Cahd...). They both had great features at a good price, but the voice quality ...

S U C K E D!!!!!!

There were times that you just couldn't have a conversation. I have great internet service, that was not the problem. I had the VOIP service for my daughter to use, I have a cell for all my calls. It got so bad that when she called, I wouldn't answer. Tried to get the service fixed through both providers, and they never did anything. Always blamed it on my internet, or just said "I don't know... Is there anything else I can do for you?" And I was locked into a contract, so I couldn't cancel.

My opinion would be try the little deely bopper first mentioned in this thread. It flat couldn't be worse than the crap crap crap crap crap service you'll get from Vonage or Packet 8.

As a side note, my roommate has Comcast phone, and she seems happy. I refuse to talk on it, out of principal, so I can't say one way or the other. She does like to bitch about things though, so the fact that she hasn't may say something....

Tried a few calls last night an all agreed that is sounded great.

that is common for most VOIP (voice Over IP [internet]) soultions not to have 911. What i mean is that the quality will be very bad and when you try to call for support, you will get a buzy signal. You will have to email for a trouble ticket and then "they " will say 'oh its your internet connection, not us. have a nice day'

If you ask me Vonnage is the only one i would suggest. Evan then i would be carefull. Vonnage is nice to sign up, but if you want to cancel that is the rub.

It is a common business practice to hide the 1-800 to disconnect and make it VERY difficult to cancel any service.

If you stop paying they take you to collections.

If you do cancel there service they still have your Phone Number. They can drag there feet for WEEKS to release that number to your new provider (the term is called Porting), and during that time of 3 weeks you have no phone line.

who you gona complain to? they [vonnage] do not have any FCC regulations or Goverment laws to regulate there business practice.

my 2 cts

Now that I have torn apart your post :D thank you for the link tho..

chad

Doesn't matter to me, I didn't invent the thing. I like it so far and that is all that matters, lol. I'll keep you posted if I can get it to work with my alarm system. I'm sure you can't wait to hear how it goes. :banannadance:

Well, if it sounds good, then you're already a step ahead of Vonage....

Rock on brotha...