Great Experience @ Pro Dyno (shameless plug)

Bob

So my buddy buys a 2001 Vert with a Vortech blower on it a couple of months ago. I drive it and it doesn't feel like it's pulling hard. We had it out to Speedworld in January and the poor dude was only ET'ing mid-13's??

I don't know who to call locally, my car was installed and tuned at Kenne Bell. I ask my buddy Brian who has a KB blown Z06 and he recommends Pro Dyno. So we make an appointment and meet them at their shop (recently relocated to 26th Street and Washington). Met Charles, their tech/tuner and Matt, the owner. Talk about goals, etc. they seem to know what they're doing. They do a baseline dyno and it only pulls 335 rwhp (I won't mention who did the initial install and tune). They say it has the wrong pulley, plugs are shot, has the stock air box (who would leave the stock airbox on??), shift points are stock.

$1,500 and a week later he pulls 461 rwhp and 430 rwtq.

Bottom line, Charles and Matt were great. They're knowledgable, honest and did an excellent job. Just thought I'd let everyone know, if I put a meth kit on my car I think I'll have them do it and the re-tune. Nice to have options......

www.prodyno.com

I'm not picking bones here, but 461rwhp on a super charger? Still seems way low IMHO. That's barely over 150hp for about 10k worth of work and $1,500 on top of that to fix whatever was messed up.

On less than 1k worth of N20 I am real close to 460rwhp. I'd say there is still something not right here.

Good on prodyno for fixing him up to this point, but there is still more there.

I'm not picking bones here, but 461rwhp on a super charger? Still seems way low IMHO. That's barely over 150hp for about 10k worth of work and $1,500 on top of that to fix whatever was messed up.

On less than 1k worth of N20 I am real close to 460rwhp. I'd say there is still something not right here.

Good on prodyno for fixing him up to this point, but there is still more there.

You could make 550 RWHP on your car with a 200 shot, why don't you do it??????

The "goal" was to make 500 rwhp, which he would have had in a 6spd car. They did exactly what he wanted. He could make 600 rwhp by putting a small pulley on it.....once or twice.....then he'd need a motor.

Ok, well you didn't say that. :lol

These stock motors can handle more from what I'm told. That could be bogus information though.

150 shot of N2O is the max from my reading through the intake. If I want to go bigger I'd need to do a direct port system, bigger injectors, high volume fuel pump etc. I'm good though. :thumbs I haven't even put the 125 shot in yet, still sitting on the 100. :lol

I made well over 600rwhp on the stock bottom end ect so yes they can handle a lot.

Depending on his other supporting mods he could/should have more out of it. Does he have headers and are they LTs? How about the injectors he's running, stock or aftermarket ect.

The thing about Pro Dyno is they haven't setup a proper wide band as of last time I was there. This severely limits their tuning abilities and can be very costly. Within 6 months I know of one car going boom than shouldn't have. They know their stuff down there, it's just lack of tools IMHO.

I made well over 600rwhp on the stock bottom end ect so yes they can handle a lot.

Depending on his other supporting mods he could/should have more out of it. Does he have headers and are they LTs? How about the injectors he's running, stock or aftermarket ect.

The thing about Pro Dyno is they haven't setup a proper wide band as of last time I was there. This severely limits their tuning abilities and can be very costly. Within 6 months I know of one car going boom than shouldn't have. They know their stuff down there, it's just lack of tools IMHO.

42 lbs injectors, no headers, BB cat back with stock cats. I respect your opinion Drew but everything I've read is no more than 500 RWHP "hard and often" on a stock LS1 bottom end. But hey, that's me. I want safe, not sorry.....

My GTO was an LS1 and when stock it did 406 rwhp.@7.5lbs. The LS1 has small cyl. bores which shrouds the valves somewhat. But mainly the reason was a street tune. I was told that they can make any kind of "bragging right" tune that they want. Real world street tunes that can be driven in 115 deg.+ temps and not detonate or run hot or require race fuel isn't as high as you think. With some bolt-on mods. & race fuel I probably could've gotten 500 rwhp., but thats not smart nor practical for a daily driver. With bolt-ons, race fuel, and a "bragging rights" non-daily driver tune I could've posted an unbelievable dyno sheet on some forum and felt cool. Thats not what its about, its about driving (without breaking) and getting treated right by the shop. BTW with an LS2 (bigger bores) it would've done alot better all the way around. Just my $.02

42 lbs injectors, no headers, BB cat back with stock cats. I respect your opinion Drew but everything I've read is no more than 500 RWHP "hard and often" on a stock LS1 bottom end. But hey, that's me. I want safe, not sorry.....

So see, there are quite a few supporting mods still missing. Numbers sound right for those mods.

Some LTs would add 30rwhp to that settup easily for example. Throw the cats in the garbage which helps ect.

Phil on here is pushing the very high 500s to the tires and for quite some time now. It's all in the tune too!

I'm glad you got it worked out for the most part as I would have been livid if I got stuck with 340rwhp after that kind of investment.

-Drew

C'mon guys it's basically a stock motor with a blower, and Pro Dyno has had the correct dyno wideband equipment as of 3 years ago when I was pestering them to get with program. I also tune cars down there and I remember doing this one. I don't know who did the original install and tune on the car but it was really really bad and came in the door making all of 320 rwhp or something like that. I don't remember the exact original numbers because I wasn't there for the initial dynos. The previous tune was really bad, it wasn't making enough boost, and there were one or two other issues as well. A simple pulley swap, plugs, filter, and a tune later the car is making good clean safe power and it's doing it on a pretty much stock LS1. If he chose to do a cam later on he would need to put bigger injectors in, more fuel pump/boost a pump, and a few other things and it would be well up into the 500 rwhp range. LS1s can take some shit that's for sure, just how much though is different with every combo.

Bob, glad your buddy is happy with the car now. He really needs to get some real tires on that thing though. :)

Real world street tunes that can be driven in 115 deg.+ temps and not detonate or run hot or require race fuel isn't as high as you think.

Amen to that. Show me someone who can make my KB 2.6L intercooled twin screw with only 469 RWHP run under 220 through the summer with the AC on and I'll show you a $1,000 hole in my wallet.......(crickets chirping)

I've been told that if I relocate the intercooler it helps? The fans are programmed to run almost all the time, I've been told that the Corvette fans are good and it's not worth the money for the minimal (if any) gain to switch them? Maybe a meth kit to drop the IAT's (not necessarilly to gain hp)?

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Real world street tunes that can be driven in 115 deg.+ temps and not detonate or run hot or require race fuel isn't as high as you think.

Amen to that. Show me someone who can make my KB 2.6L intercooled twin screw with only 469 RWHP run under 220 through the summer with the AC on and I'll show you a $1,000 hole in my wallet.......(crickets chirping)

I've been told that if I relocate the intercooler it helps? The fans are programmed to run almost all the time, I've been told that the Corvette fans are good and it's not worth the money for the minimal (if any) gain to switch them? Maybe a meth kit to drop the IAT's (not necessarilly to gain hp)?

Any thoughts?

Would need to know a lot more than that to even start. What radiator are you running? Does it have an integral oil cooler. How much sand is clogging up your current radiator, condenser, etc.? What thermostat, what antifreeze/coolant? Running a little rich or lean?

Get the idea? There's a lot of variables that contribute to heat problems. There's also a lot of very high horsepower cars running around town that manage to run cooler than 220 all summer long.

Any thoughts?

Would need to know a lot more than that to even start. What radiator are you running? Does it have an integral oil cooler. How much sand is clogging up your current radiator, condenser, etc.? What thermostat, what antifreeze/coolant? Running a little rich or lean?

Get the idea? There's a lot of variables that contribute to heat problems. There's also a lot of very high horsepower cars running around town that manage to run cooler than 220 all summer long.

Stock rad, 165 T-stat (I think), no add-on oil or tranny coolers. Rad was out 15 months ago when the blower went on, Kenne Bell told me it was fine and that generally the stock LS1 rad is pretty good? 50/50 premix dexcool (or whatever it calls for), not running Water Wetter (I haven't seen that that stuff works). I've checked the rad and condensor for obstructions and it looks clear. Car was tunned by KB 14 months/6k miles ago so it shouldn't be running rich or lean and does not give indications it is.

Guest Sidewinder

Your at 323 N/A on the dyno and with a 100 shot you think your close to 460??

Your at 323 N/A on the dyno and with a 100 shot you think your close to 460??

No. A 125 shot is close to 450 and a 150 shot should be about 470.