Why did you pick the year Corvette you did ?

Kerry

Well the price was right - straight trade for a 95 Celica.

Of course the C4 was a new model and I thought having a first year run would be interesting. Not sure how that will impact collectiblity down the road..but not really a big concern. The design milestones was a good incentive - crossfire Injection (yeah..I know..buggy at best) the new suspension(leaf spring), new body design.

The condition was outstanding with only 47k original miles. The paint job was new..but not very good - they painted over the black center modling and the handles..I'll deal with that later.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• Kerry

• dewey

• jagoff

Guest Avenged87fold

I grew up loving the C4s and alway wanted a Corvette since I was very little. I was deployed 13 months inside of two years and saved alot to put down on a Vette. I was looking at some C4s but I couldn't find anything clean with low miles that had what I wanted. I started looking at C5s and I figured if I was going to buy a Vette, I'll get exactly what I want . I happened to look on AutoTrader.com and found a 5400 mile C6 with everything I wanted outside of Scottsdale. I went and picked it up last week and here I am. I couldn't be happier.

- crossfire Injection (yeah..I know..buggy at best)

Tim,

The CFI is really a great setup, yeah it's not the most powerful intake out there, but it can be made to run like a dream.

My 82 never missed a beat and I ran the crap out of it on long trips, autoX, and drag racing. Plus I couldn't keep my foot out of it on the street either.

A couple of little tricks, upgrades, and tuning and you will never call it buggy again.

First off here is another forum with just about every trick that you could think of doing to the CFI. Click Here!

And for all the best tuning and parts you could want to make your baby run, check out Jim and Tom's site. Click Here!

They are local and both are members here. If your 84 is not running the best you should contact them.

Guest Sunstroked

First I have always wanted a corvette. Had 2 early yr camaros, 1 I owned for 12 yrs. It was a sweet car when I sold it 20 yrs ago. A few yrs back I was looking to replace my 2 wheeler, wifey was all worried about me getting wracked up on the "60". She happened upon a downed biker quivering in an intersection, and it scared her, bad. So, I made a deal. Sell the bike, buy a vette. We found a fairly clean 92 that needed a few minor mechanical fixes. I bought it for a fair price, made the repairs and have been enjoying happy motoring since. Although the C4 was not my favorite style corvette, it has grown on me considerably. I love the C3 style, specifically the 73 corvette with the rubber front end and chrome rear bumper. That may yet be my next. I've called about a few, but haven't acted yet. I really love the 61-62, but they are not in reach and I would like a vette rod instead of an all original model. I almost bought a brand new 82 back in the day but due to my young age at the time and list of traffic violations, insurance rates killed that deal. I'm late to the game compared to many of you, but my love of corvettes began a long time ago.

GuyverVette

My favorite EVER was a split window... but after realizing it will take a long time to put that kind of money together I decided to go for my second favorite, a late model C3...

I found mi first 1982 cross fire sitting outside a house... according to the owner the car has been sitting there for no less than 3 years.... I fell in love with the Blue color so I didnt think it twice and I bought it, the car wasnt even running... after a new fuel pump and sparkplugs the car was running and driving like a champ!!! I sold it because I didt had enought time to restore it since Im also restoring my 280Z, but still did a good job restoring the interiors. So, now I have my 2000 C5... but still my favorite (affordable) is a late model C3, y love the way GM redid the bumpers with a more agressive front bumper and an integrated small wing on the back. That with the hot C3 body still makes me shake everytime I see one.

Honestly I never liked the chromes bumpers on older vettes neither the small rear window... Im so glad GM decided to make them fast back again, so those are the reasons why my favorite vette is the late C3... I just wish they came with a bad ass 454 or something :P hahaha

C. Battershell

I chose a 2003 Z06, because me and car are the same age. Now I know that may sound a little crazy, but here is why. My father was a Gm millwright at the Hudson, Ohio TERAC plant. He worked there for 38 years. BUT my mother is from Detroit. AND ALL my Uncles worked for GM as Engineers. I grew up w/GM.

The Crovette was actually BORN sometime around July 1952. Was shown at the New York as a 1953 Model. I was born in July 1952. But there is more. My father was always getting suggestion awards when I was growing up as a Kid. One year He won the use for one year of a brand new 1964 Buick Riveria, another year.. which I got was a 1957 1/4 scale electric car, red with white coves Corvette. Got old super 8 of me riding around in it. It had an AM radio and operating head and tail lights. GM made 2 of them and both were given away as suggestion rewards. Mine was stolen by the Neighbor next door Larry Tasker, he was jealous. He took it for a joy ride and ran it into the woods behind our farm. It was destroyed. The other one is gone as well. GM confirmed these two 1/4 scale models back in 1957. If they had survied they would be worth thousands of dollars. I was also told that they did a couple more of different years. But none survied that they are aware of. But the 57,s were the most valuable. My FEVER started when I was 5. We were always going to the Detroit auto show, saw all the protypes Corvettes when I was younger.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always wanted a corvette. My dad sold chevy's in the 70's, and I always liked the C3. I found mine through a friend and it was love at first sight. (It didn't hurt that it was only $5,000)--initially. Then I blew the motor and had to have the tranny rebuilt. Thank god my brother has a repair shop.

Guest c3keith

I had been a mopar boy since I was three because of the 69 Charger in The Dukes of Hazzard. My parents had bought me a 1970 Charger RT with a 440 and 70,000 original miles, but I messed around in college and they sold it. I in the meantime had a 1998 GMC Sierra singlecab shortbed stepside with a 5.7L. I put true duel flowmaster, edlebrock headers, K+N cold air, punched the cats, and added a chip. The truck only weighing 4,500 pounds with a passenger made it a fast and loud truck. That is how I fell in love with GM.

My friend took me to buy a 77 C3 so I could tell him if it was worth buying. The car was jammed with performance parts and looked fun. Starting it up, it sounded like the old muscle car I was looking for myself. My friend ended up running into financial trouble and I bought it from him.

My new motor has arrived and is in the process of being installed in my own, personal garage.

post-864-1207784663.jpg

I chose the C4 because that's all the money I wanted to spend on a RED Vette Convt. Our first venture with Vettes was in 1981. Eva always wanted a sports car to drive so in 1978 I bought her a 78 MGB. After a couple of years of every weekend working on that **!!### MG, I finally had had enough. I sold it and told her we would get a Vette, 5000 chevy dealers and parts available everywhere. A few years later when I owned a Chevy Dealership, I always kept a RED Vette Convt to drive so I owned several. Only had one speeding ticket until the day I sold the dealership and was driving out of town in a Cadillac and was immediatly stopped for speeding. Went too many years without a Vette untlil I bought the C4. Have always liked the lines plus this was the model I had when I sold out. Thought I would buy a C6 later this year, but Eva had to have a new Caddy, so I'll probably wait another year or two for the C6. This is one of the great things about ACE that there are all kinds of owners and all are welcome to the group and can be very helpful with problems. :3gears:

Hey Ron :howdy!!!

Some really great stories, this is turning into my favorite thread!!!! :thumbs