Why did you pick the year Corvette you did ?

Kerry

Just wondering why everyone picked the year Corvette they have. I my case, I grew up with the whole Shark style Corvette. That was what what around in the 70's when I was growing up. I had a 75 Stingray around 18 years ago and ended up with an 80 now, but if I could have any it would be a 68-77, those are MY favorite years and personally, I think they are probably the style most people associate with a Corvette. To me (and I don't mean to offend anyone), the C4 always looked to similar to the Firebirds of the same era. Not enough curves for my taste. Plus I thought if they would have put better looking rims on them, it would have made the car more attractive. Although now I have grown to like them more than I used to (still don't like the stock rims though). The newer (C5 & C6) Vettes obviously perform and handle so much better than the older and to me they have a little more style coming back to them.

Anyway, just wondering........

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Desertdawg

• Kerry

• dewey

• jagoff

This is my 11th Corvette and had been without one for a few years. I sold the 427 Cobra and wanted something with a roof and AC. My wife suggested I get another Corvette so the search started. I was looking for an 02 up Black Z06 with red mod interior and this one happened to go through the auction in Kansas City. So off I went and came home with it.

It was for sale. :phil evil:

Just kinda happened. We went to drool on a real '70 Hemi 'cuda and a clone Hemi Challenger at pal Ed Brace's place PhxCars.com, and not two cars away sat this black w/chromies and tint convertible with less than 28K miles. We had just sank another chunk into the old WS6 for an Optispark, and the wife hated it anyway....seemed like a golden opportunity.

It didn't even dawn on me to research the year until we got it home. Motor Trend Car of the Year for 1998, woohooo! A column-lock bypass and a new set of non-runflats later, and we were smitten.

Can't imagine selling it.

:nicethread:

Most C5's are pretty identical for options..

I prefer the hatch space and removable roof panel, so no Zo6 or FRC for me.

The 2001 had heads up display, and a non-jet style fuel pump.

The fuel pump was important because its more easily upgradeable.

The 2001 also did not have the magnetic ride suspension available like the 2002.. A plus for a racer that is going to discard the shocks anyway.

Guest RojoSi5

I'm a traveling girl; I looked trunk space first, then color, then tops. I didn't want to have to replace a top, so ended up with the hard top fixed roof. Oh! the reason I choose the 2000, that's the year I had enough money save up to complete my 50th birthday gift to myself. This is my first Vette, and I love it everytime I driver her.

Kids grew up and moved out leaving me enough disposable income that I found a great deal on an 02 Vert. I put 58k on that in almost 4 yrs. Wanted a C6 so I found a leftover 06 when the 07's came out.

I won't be without a Vette until they throw the dirt in on top of me. The kids even laugh that when I get too old to drive they will put my Vette up on blocks so I can sit in it and drool on myself while I go vroom, vroom!

i was 17 at the time and this 84 was the only corvette within my price range. so on my 18th birthday my mom took me down to tucson to look at it and i said if it starts i am driving it home, so i did.

My 89 C4 was sold to me very cheaply because it had a few mechanical problems that teh previous owner did not wish

to spring for, but were pretty simple for me, being in teh automotive industry, address.

Clearly, I'd rather have a '63 split, or a 08 ZR-1, but for what I paid for it, I'm very happy! :banannadance:

Kids grew up and moved out leaving me enough disposable income that I found a great deal on an 02 Vert. I put 58k on that in almost 4 yrs. Wanted a C6 so I found a leftover 06 when the 07's came out.

I won't be without a Vette until they throw the dirt in on top of me. The kids even laugh that when I get too old to drive they will put my Vette up on blocks so I can sit in it and drool on myself while I go vroom, vroom!

You're going to put your car up on blocks next year?

...turned 40 in late 2000, promptly hit mid life crisis, and low and behold Chevy announces the rebirth of the Z06. It took a few months to find the right color, nd a few more months for the snow to clear so I could bring her home. Now for the mods....

Phill's Vette

When I was 12 yrs old, I was delivering newspapers and there was a silver C2 split window (1963) that I use to drool over; one morning I hit the car with a paper - my hand was in a cast so my aim was off.... This didn't matter to the owner as he seen the paper hit his baby and came out yelling. He had me crying and peddling away as fast as I could.

Several days later, he stopped me (or rather Caught me) and apologized for scaring me, he told me all about this vette and how much he loved the car; he let me sit in it AND fired it up and let me rev the motor; He also told me all Corvette owners wave to each other and why - TOO COOL!. From this point on I was hooked on Corvettes and everything to do with them.

I had a few chances to own one over the years, but all was perfect two years ago when I got my C3 1982 - my favorite generation. I would someday like to get a C2 split window but the 82 will do just fine until then, until I can afford to have an 82 AND 63....

:thumbs

I knew the FRC was the lightest and stiffest of all vettes and I also wanted a 6-speed which is guaranteed in an FRC. They were only made for 2 years so I bought the cleanest one I came across.

I didn't want the Z because the extra mods would be wasted with the work I was going to do to the car.

Loved vettes since I was a kid. Finally got to where I could get one, C4's footwell is waaaay too small, found my '99 for the right price...BANG she's mine. :lol

Guest racingchester

Had a 60 back in 62. Had it for about 3 years. Got married and ther it went. Wife was (and still is ) to short to reach the clutch and brake pedals. Got an 84 6 years ago and found a 90 about 3 years ago. This leads me to the 94 I now have since last May. Had a 79 for a short time as it was more of a project than I wanted to tackle. Never have driven a C5 only because I like the C4s.......

Lifelong wish, been drooling over the cars since Route 66.

Bought my 07 last January because it was the newest one on the market.

I got the '66 because I always wanted a mid-year, and finally found one I could afford.

Then, as the sickness grew...

I picked up the '94 from the original owner when he decided to sell because it was too hard to get out of. I like the C4's because they are new enough to be fairly good performers and reliable, yet old enough that I don't feel bad tearing into them. I also like the looks.

I imagine a newer Z06 is next. It never ends!!!

Blind luck. A co-worker's brother ( ACE ROMO 9), who I didnt know at the time, was selling it before he could shop for a C5 Z06. ...Wife's rule. I knew I wanted a manual tranny. I had a '69 427 4 speed years earlier and loved to row the gears. I'm lucky that by choosing a manual, and it's a '96, that it came with the LT4. It was love at first sight and by driving it I was hooked. At less than $13K I thought this was about the best deal I would find. No regrets here! :)

My older brother rebuilt a couple of C3's, (one of them was even an Eckler's wagon) and I was in love...

Fast forward a year or two and just before our girls were about to head off to college we decided it was now or never, but the chrome bumper C3's were out of our price range by that time so we found an 82CE that ran like a dream for us for just over 6 years.

But the bug to go faster, and the want for more comfort bit us hard so we traded in the CE for the 98 vert we have now.

It was a comprimise, Jammye wanted an auto, so I told her if it was an auto then it had to be a vert!!!

I miss the 82, but I can't stop smiling behind the wheel of the 98... :cool

This isn't the wagon my brother rebuilt, but it has the Ecklers kit. Notice the very small side windows compared to the Greenwood kit...

Yeah I would buy one, No not very many people like it.

But to me that makes it more of a "one of a kind"...

wagon.jpg