Check out this Lightning McQueen car....

Robert and Elizabeth

Robert and Elizabeth

Check this out

The quickest car to be ever built in your garage. The GTM is an original design V-8 powered mid-engined sports car. It combines a computer designed space frame with modern C5 corvette running gear and a beautful composite body shell. The GTM is an affordable supercar that is engineered to bring the dream of owning such a car to people who's talents and craftmanship exceed their bank accounts. The GTM kit costs $19.9k and is only 2400lbs. Now imagine a 900+ hp LS7 procharged engine in this daily driver!

Opinions??????

Now that is a car I could really like. :eek I would take that car over a whole lot of other "concept" or "rebodied" cars I've seen. :thumbs

Could have used a sexier model though. :lol

Robert and Elizabeth
That would be a fun project. Dont care so much fo the door/fender gapage.

Tim, remember it is a mid-engined car. It needs the ram air for cooling the brakes and don't forget engines need air. Check out the scoop on the roof getting air back to the motor.

That would be a fun project. Dont care so much fo the door/fender gapage.

Tim, remember it is a mid-engined car. It needs the ram air for cooling the brakes and don't forget engines need air. Check out the scoop on the roof getting air back to the motor.

Understood, I'm talking about the front fender/door gap and if that is for venting the brakes then they will never get warm.

The GTR has been around for quite some time. I think what we're seeing is the second iteration if I remember right. While very cool, I seem to remember that it's not all it's cracked up to be as far as cheap goes. Ya, the base kit is 20 grand, but it doesn't include the upgrades that everyone will want, and some that most will want. I have a magazine around here somewhere that I can't find at the moment, where they built one of these. I seem to remember that it ended up being a 100,000 dollar project. Maybe it was only 80, but it was far more than what was being touted. By the time they were done, while being a very capable machine, it was very much a race car with headlights and turn signals, the fit and finish were not up to what you would want for 80 grand.

My final impression was that while very cool, it wasn't realistic. For the same dollar, you can just build your own car to perform at least to the level of the GTR, and not only have money left over, but but also have something with an intrinsic value. The GTR is a cash only game. You can't finance it, gonna be hard to insure, and a new project to replace it should you wad it up. I want one... for sure. But hand me 80 grand, and it's not what I would build.

Could have used a sexier model though. :lol

I agree and especially with all the money they saved on the car....could have spent more on talent.

What a gyp. You have to pay $20K for a "supercar" then practically supply another car to build it? You practically need to have a wrecked C-5 laying around and hope the suspension isn't FUBAR'd. Anybody have any idea how much the "Porche" parts that are required would cost? That could easily become a $50K car.

I'm willing to bet the "model" they used is the owner of the companies wife or girlfriend... not ugly, but certainly not the caliber to be a model for a print ad. Just sayin...

Why not buy a very used C5 and put 20 grand into making it a very capable track car?

Remember, going fast isn't all car, you have to learn how to drive too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

That's a Factory Five Racing GTM Supercar kit. I've been around a few of them, and my final impression is that it still needs some refinement. FFR makes some of the best kits out there when you're talking about Cobra replica's, but this one isn't quite there, yet. For example, none of the door or window seals fit properly, or even look right. It really ruins the look of quality when you get up close.

I've seen a couple of them in Dallas that were done for between $40K-$45K and looked nearly as good as every other one of them that I've seen at, near, or above the six figure mark. As mentioned previously, the price difference really starts to show with the performance upgrades. All the little details will nickel and dime you to death. I've seen a twin turbo LS7 GTM shoot off down the freeway like a missile. I can't say that I've ever seen a Vette as fast as that thing was, but it's also not nearly as refined or comfy.

The cheapest way to go is to contact one of the ebay motors sellers that sell the complete donor car kit in one package. Find a buddy or forum member who can paint and then do all the work yourself. That's the only way to keep the total bill below $50K.

All in all, I think it a super-cool toy, just not for me at this point in my life.

None of this matters... I'm sticking with Corvette. :thumbs

Same. Love the FF5 Cobra's, and the fact that you can call the factory to setup one for any drivetrain (yes, I've seen one with a blown 426 Hemi in it)

..but ..

..I'd rather spend the money on my vette.

Instead of 20k for the kit, .. well .. the list would start with a World Products block, probably their 454.. then the frik-kin huge 6-71 blower from BDS and I dont care if it means cuttin a huge hole in the hood.

It would look *cool* and totally demolish any 'sleeper' image.. and intimidate the crap outta them little fart carts.

Then the 4-link Dana, and the 14x32's on the back.. roll cage, and prolly wheelie bars.

-evil grin-

But . . that's just me.