new window spring

chevyguy1969

Looks like i broke a window spring on the way back from Gila Bend. I thought i ran over something in the road. Discovered the window going up very slowly today when i pulled the door panel i found the curly little spring laying in the bottom of the door. I found one on line for about $25 but i'm going to check at 20th cars to see if they have a good one. So the question is has any one on here put one of these in with the assembly in the door or do i have tear it all apart to do this. There doesn't look like anything holding it in other than spring tension.

thanks ahead of time for your advice on this.

V/R

Butch

No I havn't bought one yet. I guess i should do that soon. Btw the glass filter is gone got a nice chrome one i found today on there

I was in the doors of my 82 several times, and never once touched that part, so I'm no help... :chris

I guess this was just a free post!!!

Phill's Vette

I have a broken one on my passengers side door - it still goes up and down so I put it on "The List". What I have figured out though is it is a complete regulator removal to access the spring and rivet that holds it in. I am going to order a new spring and new rivet when I do mine, the used parts available would be 25+ years old and I don't want to do it again.

I currently have my drivers side window wired in the up position because the regulator gear stripped out; I bought a gear tooth replacement kit for that and new rollers and washers - might as well change what I can while there. The hardest part of taking the regulator assemble out and reinstalling it I hear is adjusting the window correctly. Another thing that I will learn as I go....

Mid-America has some fairly good how-to pdf files on this also

I will attach some pics I have on file that may help you, also any info I have at home I will sent to you. If there is anything I can help with let me know and I will do my best.

:thumbs

w70olv.jpg

2i1pbo4.jpg

2v0hg0o.jpg

The best idea, in my humble opinion, is when you get into the door, change everything that could/would wear. Get into it once, change the parts, and leave it for another 30+ years.

My window still works but it is very slow going up so i won't be using it till it is fixed. Don't want to stress the gears too much. Most likely have to take the assy apart and yes i also heard the window is a real pain to realign not looking forward to it at all. Thanks for the advice when i get the part we can use mine as a learning device for yours. mine has the original mounting rivits so it is high time to be taken apart and inspected. Wish my door looked like those pictures LOL.

ummm... After re-adjusting the windows in my 82 about 2 dozen times (per side) before I figured out how to do it :banghead

Maybe we could have a ACE garage day and I'll show you guys what NOT to do!!!

Phill's Vette
ummm... After re-adjusting the windows in my 82 about 2 dozen times (per side) before I figured out how to do it :banghead

Maybe we could have a ACE garage day and I'll show you guys what NOT to do!!!

Sounds good to me Dawg!

When i get the spring i will post up. Is there anything else i should get prior to starting this job?