Homeowners, check this out

Robert and Elizabeth

Robert and Elizabeth

Click here

This really surprised me. We are lucky that we do own all the land around our home. But unfortunately, one person in our subdivision does not. :(

Wow, that is scary. Especially with the extortionists out there. How can a government let that happen. I call :bs

We are good too, but there are a couple near us that are not.

while im sure it sucks for that person.... BUT

I use the http://treasurer.maricopa.gov/ once or twice a year just to make sure all is well.

THat "shyster" the article refers to is verry common. If someone does not keep up with there property tax a developer can buy that land at an aution for pennys. I know this so i do my due digliance to to stay on board.

Hoskins says things can get ugly. For example, on one homeowner's land, property lines were improperly moved years ago. The orphan parcel includes part of an unsuspecting homeowner's house. Hoskins says that's big trouble if someone decides to buy the orphan parcel.

"Now, a predator could go in there, get that property, come in with a bulldozer, and clean it all out," Hoskins said.

bullshit. That bulldozer has to go across your property to get to that orphand parcel. you simply deny therem access.

..yes you still have to pay taxes, but there wont be a wrecking ball tommrow morning.

2ts

No problem here! I would suggest that if you find you are subject to an orphan piece you claim it as soon as possible. You should be able to claim ownership to it based on the same law that says if you use a parcel for a certain number of years w/o dispute of the owner it's yours. This comes into play in situations where maybe you build your fence a foot onto your neighbors land. If the neighbor doesn't complain for years then there comes a point where it's too late. 10 years down the road they can't make you move the fence. You still have to keep up the taxes though.

I can understand fence moves etc. But how can a piece inside my lot suddenly become not mine? Especially if we/they keep current on taxes.

Delinquent 2006 property taxes and any previously uncollected taxes will be offered at the 2008 Maricopa County Tax Lien Sale. The sale will take place on February 1st, 2008. The auction items will be available for preview at www.bidmaricopa.com on January 17th.

I wish I knew about this then.. I would have bought something I have wanted for 20 years now.... :banghead

Great topic my house is safe but the guy i know down the street may have some trouble in the future i'm going to tell him about this ASAP.

So how does that work? If somebody is behind on their taxes you can buy a tax lien at that auction - and then if they don't pay you within 3 years the property is yours?

The funny part is that a block from my property there is a strip of land directly under some high-tension power lines which shows as being behind in taxes. I'm guessing the property belongs to SRP. lol!

So how does that work? If somebody is behind on their taxes you can buy a tax lien at that auction - and then if they don't pay you within 3 years the property is yours?

The funny part is that a block from my property there is a strip of land directly under some high-tension power lines which shows as being behind in taxes. I'm guessing the property belongs to SRP. lol!

almost.

ifyou are behind on your taxes, then anyone can buy the tax lean FOR ONE YEAR ONLY. If that person buys the same tax lean AGAIN for the second year then and the end of the second year they can pettition the state to hold the house up for acution on the courthouse steps. The thinkingis "Hey this home owner has not paid there taxes in 2 years. They are a deadbeat."

If joe blow buys the house on the courthouse, the tax lean holder gets there money back plus the % above what they bid for for the past 2 years.

now the article talkes about "orphan" property where the lines of the plot are regestered with the city.

here is a real world senaro.

COmpany XYZ buils homes. they have enough land to build 10 homes, but there is an odd shaped parcel left over that is to small to legaly build any home on.

Well company XYZ is not going to pay any taxes on property they are no going to make any money on. So they will simply abandon it. Then the processs described above will take effect.

What was talked about in the news article is a one off story. The prior home owner may have extended the fence line to include the abandon property, but never regestered it with the city.

The new home buyer had an appraiser come out and measure. well looks like the fence line is larger than what was in the books for the city. Ding assuming ownership of the parcel and with it comes the 2 years of tax leans held by some guy who paid the higest bid.

there is more to the news article than stated. much more.

2 cts

Delinquent 2006 property taxes and any previously uncollected taxes will be offered at the 2008 Maricopa County Tax Lien Sale. The sale will take place on February 1st, 2008. The auction items will be available for preview at www.bidmaricopa.com on January 17th.

I wish I knew about this then.. I would have bought something I have wanted for 20 years now.... :banghead

Damnit. There are a few in my neighborhood that I would like to buy. Does this mean I have to wait until next year and be on the ball with this? Maybe we can still buy the leftovers?

while im sure it sucks for that person.... BUT

I use the http://treasurer.maricopa.gov/ once or twice a year just to make sure all is well.

THat "shyster" the article refers to is verry common. If someone does not keep up with there property tax a developer can buy that land at an aution for pennys. I know this so i do my due digliance to to stay on board.

Hoskins says things can get ugly. For example, on one homeowner's land, property lines were improperly moved years ago. The orphan parcel includes part of an unsuspecting homeowner's house. Hoskins says that's big trouble if someone decides to buy the orphan parcel.

"Now, a predator could go in there, get that property, come in with a bulldozer, and clean it all out," Hoskins said.

bullshit. That bulldozer has to go across your property to get to that orphand parcel. you simply deny therem access.

..yes you still have to pay taxes, but there wont be a wrecking ball tommrow morning.

2ts

Chad,

Not sure you could deny them access...I forget most of the actual details but they have to be able to access the parcel...they could go after the current owner but I think the current owner could go back after whoever subdivided the parcels, preventing the parcel from having access to public road.

It's a pain in the ass either way...