2004 Cool-Off Cruise to San Diego

3,503 lbs of trouble

3,503 lbs of trouble

Hi Everyone - Doc out at the Pavilions asked me to post this on the CF since he has not been able to log on since the software change, but I thought it would be appropriate to post it here too. Remember, this is not my personal event, so please don't contact me with questions (I'm just passing this along). Call (480) 982-2044 for more information.

Here's the text of the flyer:

--------------------------------------------------

"Cool-Off Cruise"

Plan "A"...Meet at the KRISPY KREME donut shop, AZ Mills mall, 7 AM on Saturday, August 21st and depart to San Diego via Interstate 8. Our destination is Ocean Beach/Dog Beach. At the end of Interstate 8, turn on Sunset Cliffs Blvd. and go to Voltaire. Turn right on Voltaire and drive to the end. This is the Dog Beach parking lot, just next to the "Ocean Villa Inn". After a short visit to the beach we all can go back to our motel to freshen up/or whatever, before the BBQ at 7 PM 'till whenever. We will be able to see the Sea World fireworks display at 9:30 PM from this area, as usual. We should plan to regroup here again Sunday morning after breakfast, (around 11:00 AM) to return to the Phoenix area. That's all folks. (Some people will want to stay 2 nights in San Diego, so go for it.....That's great. The motel industry appreciates your money.

Following is a list of local motels, prices and phone numbers....PLEASE make your own reservations as you like......

- Motel 6 on Hotel Circle, TAYLOR STREET EXIT (Teresa/$73.00 AARP rate) (619) 296-1612.

- Comfort Inn, right next door to Motel 6..west (Bobby/$119.00 AARP rate) (619) 881-6200

- Red Lion, right next to the Motel 6..east 1/2 a block. (Tanya/$134.00 AARP rate) (619) 297-1101

- Ramada Inn, on the south side of Interstate 8 on Hotel Circle, Taylor St. exit.. (Curtis/$127.00) 1-800-405-9102

- Super 8 just next to the Ramada (Gary/$99.00) (619) 692-1288

- Travelodge next door to Super 8 (Janet Kirk, manager/$99.00) (619) 279-2271

and there are many more on Hotel Circle....This San Diego area is very busy from June 1st thru Labor Day in September, 1st week, so the sooner you call, the better.

Rose and I will stay at the Motel 6 again because we only intend to sleep a few hours on Saturday evening and will not require many amenities. (Just a comfy bed) This is the same one that most everyone stayed at in the past. It has a heated pool. (619) 296-1612 And Teresa is a very nice front desk clerk who remembers us from past visits. (Call soon) If you need more info please call us at (480) 982-2044.

That's all for now folks, see you at the Pavilions.

sd_map1.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

Also, here's a link to view the entire original flyer:

http://home.earthlink.net/~djdanwilson/images/sd_flyer.jpg

and in PDF format:

http://home.earthlink.net/~djdanwilson/images/sd_flyer.pdf

Have fun and drive safe!

Came home from work and cleared it with the wife. We'll be there!

For any of you that didn't go last year, it was a great time. We did three days last year so we had a little more time. It will still be a great time. The cruise over across I-8 is a whole lot more fun with a group of Vettes. We did a bbq on the beach and watched the sun go down. Almost got a ticket for an illegal bonfire w/o a pit. A little fast talking by a couple of us LE types got us out of that jam. All in all a great time! :drinkers

Guest XLR8TNC5

So, does this mean no bonfire this year? What is a pit? Wouldn't a hole in the ground be considered a pit?

Looks like we are a go with bonfire or not. : )

Tanya

There will be a bonfire / bbq as we will be going to a beach with built in BBQ / Fire pits (a concrete or metal ring built out in the sand).

We thought last year we could just dig a hole and burn wood in it and that would be o.k. But the beach patrol informed us that the coals that we planned to extinguish by burring in the sand would stay hot for days. People and pets have stepped into these burning coals covered by sand in the past and had serious injuries. So, we just have to move to where permanent burning areas are already set up -- no big deal.

Guest Kens06

What do you guys think of the newest post on CF about meeting with some So Cal locals for a fun run to the beach from El Centro to breakup the Interstate boredom??

Ken

Sounds cool to me. we need to get one of them to coordinate his local group and give us a cell phone number. We could call them as we pull out of Yuma or some other town close by.

Sounds good to me but I'm tenative at best now. I've made my reservations but got an email this morning from my son that he may be leaving Germany on the 17th. He wants to do a few days in England before he comes home, so we are a maybe. Excited about him coming home, but really want to make the trip!

Whose actually going? Alot of talk but I don't see many commitments. It is next weekend folks! :thumbs:

Tracy and I are going out. We may actually go out Friday night and make it as far as Yuma for the night and then just meet up with the rest of you in San Diego.

We are still also debating if we want to take the Vette with it's very sub-par air conditioning or take one of the newer vehicles. I hate doing it, but I would rather show up in a Toyota, than either sweat to death in the Vette or not go at all.