Could we arrange for a flyover Scottsdale?

Eddie44

I can't speak to the truth of this story but my first thought was could one of you AF guys arrange a flyover of Scottsdale's Photo Radar?

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day..."

Sorry, I'm retired now...don't have any of my connections anymore. Better ask Mark. :lol

I just saw this the other day, but cannot remember where. Funny as hell. :lol

Guest Sidewinder

TOTAL :bs:bs

Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

UHH How 'bout NO

Missiles DO NOT launch by themselves or bombs for that matter.

Here ya go

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp

Not poking ya in the eye Eddie. I just hate when people who know nothing about a subject try and write a story about it.

Of course it's :bs:lol although when I was in the 63rd, we had a tank come off when it wasn't supposed to. Pilot dropped a bomb and the tank went too. Oops.

I figured it was probably BS but in my opinion it's a great way to get rid of Photo Radar. Like our military hasn't ever said oops! :lol

Guest 1FASTC4
TOTAL :bs:bs

Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

UHH How 'bout NO

Missiles DO NOT launch by themselves or bombs for that matter.

Here ya go

<a href="http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp" target="_blank">http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.asp</a>

Not poking ya in the eye Eddie. I just hate when people who know nothing about a subject try and write a story about it.

Wow... it was just a joke... have some fun with it.

Guest Vettski
I can't speak to the truth of this story but my first thought was could one of you AF guys arrange a flyover of Scottsdale's Photo Radar?

Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed.

Good Day..."

Sounds like a plan! :partydance:

Eddie, don't worry as you'll never hit 300 mph......... :lol:lol:lol

Never say never! :banannarainbow::banannasword::banannadance:

Guest 1FASTC4
Ah go break a gas pedal :smilelol

:hehehe:

Isn't 4 enough? My God, there is no satisfying you people!

Wanna see my redneck throttle?

Edit: hey, how'd you find out about that? hehehe

Guest Sidewinder
Ah go break a gas pedal :smilelol

:hehehe:

Isn't 4 enough? My God, there is no satisfying you people!

Wanna see my redneck throttle?

Edit: hey, how'd you find out about that? hehehe

It's all good :thumbs

I may also have an answer for you about your oil problem. PM me if your interested.

-grin-

In the land of ECM (electronic countermeasures) ..detection, analysis, and response *is* automatic.

If the Tornado had a capacitive discharge jammer ..it's game over for any radar that 'beeps' it.

The story would be more boring tho .. pointed gun at plane, gun stopped working.

No mile-per-hour reading, nada ..zip.

Happens in much less than a second.

Doesn't matter how much power is goin out the dish .. the receiver is the weak point.

-Frank (13+ years in ECM, then a couple years in Defensive Avionics on the B-1b during production)

-Frank (13+ years in ECM, then a couple years in Defensive Avionics on the B-1b during production)

Worked B-1's for 6 years. Heard some really interesting stuff on what it was capable of. I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya. :evil:

Guest Sidewinder

Got to love those B-1's

Take 3 TDY. One to fly and two for parts to keep the one flying. My buddy worked on B-1's for 10 years, heard all about them.

OK girls,

The point, while of wonderful comedic value is MOOT!!

The Photo Radar on the 101 uses electronic sensors in the road NOT RADAR!!

A misnomer yes, there is no RAdio Detection And Ranging used in the system!!

Ken

Got to love those B-1's

Take 3 TDY. One to fly and two for parts to keep the one flying. My buddy worked on B-1's for 10 years, heard all about them.

You're right taking 3 TDY, but we flew 2 each mission with one spare. :lol Guys at Nellis were stunned when we used 2 gas trucks to "fill" them up. We said "shit, we're only going half full with 2 trucks." :lol I think we had the best jets at McConnell. I heard other stories from the other bases like you said. Ours flew good though.

-grin-

Worked 'em from 2nd one off the production line alla way thru the 99th bird.

Sensor is a sensor .. weakest link in any information gathering system.. radar or what ever.

I could tell ya some of the capabilities .. but .. I dont wanna.

Killin ya has nothin to do with it.

I'm just selfish. -evil grin-

-Frank (ok ok .. an I prolly have forgotten more than what most 'know' about ECM :)

Please hold your applause until the end of the post, please.

First nuke to ever go up in one, courtesy of yours truly.

First aft bay SRAM (AGM-69) launch, courtesy, yours truly.

Damn them chaff/flare buckets, in/measure/out/trim/in/measure/out/trim....that was a pain in the @$$, 30 jets...

Ever do chaff/flare on the split deck in west Texas in Feb with -28* wind chill? That is NOT fun.

F'n Harry Wise, I'm up on the B4 stand with the switch, mofo says, "I forgot a tool" runs off to get it, cops weren't too happy...dumbass SSgt (me=A1c...lol)

Dyess 86-89.

Good stuff there Dewey...1st nuke in a B-1...I want your autograph!!! I also had a first as a loader...we were the 1st load crew to load Rocks in Pterodactyls feet. Below is a pic of all the different models we had at BedRock AFB.

Please hold your applause until the end of the post, please.

First nuke to ever go up in one, courtesy of yours truly.

First aft bay SRAM (AGM-69) launch, courtesy, yours truly.

Damn them chaff/flare buckets, in/measure/out/trim/in/measure/out/trim....that was a pain in the @$$, 30 jets...

Ever do chaff/flare on the split deck in west Texas in Feb with -28* wind chill? That is NOT fun.

F'n Harry Wise, I'm up on the B4 stand with the switch, mofo says, "I forgot a tool" runs off to get it, cops weren't too happy...dumbass SSgt (me=A1c...lol)

Dyess 86-89.

OK, my turn...

Too many Nukes to count, but mine was the first B-1 class go through tech-school at Lowry.

Was test crew looking into SRAM-II that never came about.

Chaff/flare...don't bring up those nightmares. Up on the split deck at McConnell KS, -60* wind chills near the max wind velocity (it was always windy in KS). Man that thing could sway.

One of only 2 crews (at McConnell anyway) that was payload exchange certified on the SRAM (that means wardhead change for those non-ers out there).

Edit: McConnell 87-93