Top This Speeding Ticket

Marana Rich

Two California Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on I-15, North of MCAS Miramar. One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching near the crest of a hill.

The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300 miles per hour. The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and turned off.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact locked onto a USMC F/A-18 Hornet which was engaged in a low flying exercise near the location.

Back at the CHP Headquarters the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the USMC Base Commander. Back came a reply in true USMC style:

Thank you for the message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto

your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air to ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar was destroyed.

Thank you for your concerns.

Seen this one before with varying defense forces, and it's bogus, but funny....

On a true story, a buddy of mine flys Blackhawks for customs, and he told me a story of a training accident that he was involved in where he had to pick up a wounded agent on the docks in San Diego. They pick the guy up to take him to the hospital, and aren't sure where it is. So they get on the horn with air traffic control, who gives them te street address of the nearest hospital, but Jim doesn't know the streets there. So he gets over one of the freeways there, and starts reading the street signs to the guy in the control tower, who in turn guides him in close enough that he finally spots the hospital. He tells me that it was tough going as he had to fly low enough to read the signs that he was bobbing up and down between bridges and overpass signs.

How'd that be for a sight on your commute home? A Blackhawk at a great clip about 30 feet over your head. EEK...

Great story to hear him tell it, but he's a chopper pilot. I think that they are trained for storytelling in flight school...

Okay, no more attempts at light humor for this crowd. Not one ten from all you critics!

You make me sink to new levels of lowness to try to amuse you. Everything we see here is a dupe from somewhere, hardly any originality, but somewhat amusing.

Here, try this one

Learn the truth about some pictures you may have seen. The site at this link will display a picture - when you click next, you'll learn whether it was real or fake. There are 98 slides. (49 pictures altogether)

http://ktrh.com/cc-common/gallery/display....?album_id=80345

Okay, no more attempts at light humor for this crowd. Not one ten from all you critics!

You make me sink to new levels of lowness to try to amuse you. Everything we see here is a dupe from somewhere, hardly any originality, but somewhat amusing.

Here, try this one

Learn the truth about some pictures you may have seen. The site at this link will display a picture - when you click next, you'll learn whether it was real or fake. There are 98 slides. (49 pictures altogether)

http://ktrh.com/cc-common/gallery/display....?album_id=80345

Don't take it personally Rich! I think the last time it was me that posted it and got shot down (no pun intended).

And #2, you don't fly training missions with live missiles, although the seeker heads are active.

Not a pro on this one...how is it that missiles/bombs get fired at the ranges, and I recall watching Cobras as well as Marine jets letting loose in California moutains during training?

And #2, you don't fly training missions with live missiles, although the seeker heads are active.

Not a pro on this one...how is it that missiles/bombs get fired at the ranges, and I recall watching Cobras as well as Marine jets letting loose in California moutains during training?

I was thinking air to air initially, but that proves that reading is fundamental.

Some air to ground missiles are radio guided, so he'd have to be carrying an AIM-7 (Sparrow) or similar Marine variant.

Seems highly suspicious to me that he'd be flying low enough heading east, and have all of his stuff on that soon after take off for all of that to happen.

"Master Arm" wouldn't be on until he got to the range.

We do it all the time. Below is quote about the Harrier that crashed in 2006. After the crash, the bombs were being watered down, and the 25mm was cooking off from the heat of the fire.

He said the AV-8B Harrier was returning from a training mission, still armed with four 500-pound bombs and 300 rounds of 25mm ammunition. He said it is not unusual for jets from the Air Station to fly over the city with live munitions. (The runway path takes them over part of the city)

Fake and not fake alike, those were some cool pics... Anyone wanna road trip for one of those burgers?