454....how much effort in place of a 350? in a c3

_Al

just wondering how much extra effort a 454 would be to put into my 81... was a 350, but it's not going to get driven much, and i found a decent price on a mild 454... (no one will lend me a starter to try the lt1 i bought so, figure i'll go carbed)

Well, it shouldn't be too radical of a job, the 454 came from the factory. You should be able to scavenge the parts or buy them off the shelf. Chad had a big block C3 and can share, but it should be a bolt in.

I would think they would have different radiators and different brackets than a truck or large car. I know the small blocks need a short style water pump, too. Not sure about the big block. It should bolt straight up to a Turbo 400 or a Muncie 4 speed.

just wondering how much extra effort a 454 would be to put into my 81... was a 350, but it's not going to get driven much, and i found a decent price on a mild 454... (no one will lend me a starter to try the lt1 i bought so, figure i'll go carbed)

Considering the early C3s came from the factory with a big block option, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Transmissions are the same of course. You can forget A/C without a big ass hood.

Aren't you selling yours? I could have sworn you had dropped the price to $2800.

you will need

different engine mounts.

larger radatior

corvette accessory equipment. THe A/C, Alt, and power sterring brackets were made for the vette only. If this engine is from a truck you will need to replace all of them. I suggest the serpt belt kit from March is a nice all in one.

heavy duty front springs. Chev made a 454 only spring for the vette.

low rise intake manafold.

short water pump

an assortment of radatior hoses. each one on the 454 was very close to the belt.

thats all I can think of for now.

thanks. i knew they came from the factory so i didn't figure it'd be a huge issue to do.... though i'll probably need to get a different tranny? or will my stock auto from the 350 that was in it work? only has 60k on it..

no i'm not selling it, i had it up for awhile but decided to keep it (deal i made with the wife was i would get rid of ONE of the vette's...)....you're probably thinking of the white '80 on CL with the salvage title and no motor...it's nicer than mine from what i can see in the pics :(

*edit

and yes the 454 i'm looking at is from a truck....but it doesn't have any of the driven accessories or brackets anyways so, it works out.

well so much for that idea, i ended up getting a running LS1 with auto trans....should be interesting but, doesn't look to bad, theres a few sites with info on the conversion. perhaps it'll be the first ls1 c3 in phoenix..?