Bad Gasoline

Robert and Elizabeth

Robert and Elizabeth

According to Nic and Keith at ADC, they said that Chevron was the worst possible fuel to use with Shell being a close second. Robert and I use Mobil or Valero/Diamond Shamrock and they are good gases, as we have been using them for years. Don't know about Arco or Texaco or Quiktrip etc.... because we did not talk in great detail. The reason I am bringing this up is one of our dyno participants used Chevron and had issues with the fuel during his dyno/tune.

BTW, we heard through the grapevine that Mobil merged with Valero/Diamond Shamrock recently, or will be very soon.

According to Nic and Keith at ADC, they said that Chevron was the worst possible fuel to use with Shell being a close second. Robert and I use Mobil or Valero/Diamond Shamrock and they are good gases, as we have been using them for years. Don't know about Arco or Texaco or Quiktrip etc.... because we did not talk in great detail. The reason I am bringing this up is one of our dyno participants used Chevron and had issues with the fuel during his dyno/tune.

BTW, we heard through the grapevine that Mobil merged with Valero/Diamond Shamrock recently, or will be very soon.

Never heard that one. Been using Chevron for years with no problems. :blink:confused

I'd like to hear more on this subject. Everything I've read is you should use a "top tier" gas and the one mentioned most is Chevron. I know for those of you that drive a C5 if you haven't had a gas guage problem you will have if you use the cheaper gases. I could use one or two tanks of QT, Arco, etc before I'd have the problem. A couple tanks of Chevron and it cleared up. ;

I guess it boils down to how you drive and how much HP you really care to develop. Maybe to squeeze every last HP out you need a different brand but for day to day driving I'll stick to Chevron until I hear some detail on this theory.

Chevron and Shell are always the most expensive stations!

I use Circle K cheap shit!!

If I was worried about every last HP, I'd lose 60lbs to make up the difference.......

I've never had a problem with the fuel gauge and my cars sit for months at a time!

Imagine how fast they would be if I gave a shit!!

OK, I'm having a bad day..............

Ken

E~ was talking about my car when I was on the dyno yesterday. It wasn't so much losing horsepower that Keith asked me what gas I was using. It was because of some detonation I was/am getting at higher RPM's. While Nic was doing the tune he tried to get rid of it with no luck and both feel it's because of the gas.

Eddie, you are also correct about the fuel gauge thing. I've had them in the past when I wasn't using Chevron and is one of the main reasons I was using it. But based on this information I think I will be switching and just putting a a bottle of Techron in to take care of that.

Eddie, you are also correct about the fuel gauge thing. I've had them in the past when I wasn't using Chevron and is one of the main reasons I was using it. But based on this information I think I will be switching and just putting a a bottle of Techron in to take care of that.

Sean, my understanding is all gas is the same until it gets to the tank farm down in SW Phx. There they add their specific additives which in Chevron's case is Techron. If you use a base gas like Circle K or QT and then add Techron aren't you creating Chevron gas? It would probably be more expensive than just buying Chevron to begin with.

I had always heard that Shell and Chevron were the better ones.

hmmm...

Also, Shell bought Texaco, so...

Only gas I refuse to use is CITGO and Arco. CITGO for Chavez and Arco for that stupid fee on using an ATM card.

I use Valero/DS in the truck occasionally, but lately it's been Chevron, 'cause they're en route, and cheaper than the Shell right across the street.

That may be the case Eddie, I don't know. All I can tell you is what guys in the tuning business said. Maybe someone with more knowledge, or even Nic can chime in to give better info.

I have seen so much inconsistancy out here with gas that I don't know what is the best or worst. I do know that every time I have seen a car pulling lots of timing from knock retard or what have you the answer most repeated when asked what type of gas they used is Chevron. But I have had others mention just about every other type out there as well, just not as much.

Phill's Vette

Chevron is used by the the major auto makers to set their listed standards - that has to mean something as they have strict spec's for the gas used. Chevron use to be the only one that could meet these high standards, though I believe Shell's Premium only now meets these standards - and a very few others. ALL of Chevron grades meet this standard because of Techron which IS added at the terminal in Phoenix.

I have always used Chevron gas in my cars whenever possible and never had a problem yet. Now I may be a little bias as I am a GM for Chevron franchises; BUT I came from ARCO upper management and comparing the high number of gas quality complaints that ARCO had/has; ANYTHING is better than ARCO fuels!!

This is kind of like the topic of what is the best oil, people have their own experiences, good and bad. Go with what has worked best for you.

But you will be trashing your motor if you use anything other than Chevron fuels.... :banannadance::banannasword::banannarainbow::thumbs

I have always been happy with Chevron as well, but I am by no means an expert. May be a dumb question here, and no offense Sean, but were you running premium, or mid grade?

I try to only use Chevron. Also, someone said Shell bought Texaco. Is this true? I thought Chevron and Texaco was one in the same. At least that's what it says on my Chevron gas card. I've had issues with my gas gage droping to "E" at times so who know. This is my second C5 and it's happened a few times already. All I do is reset the code and it goes back to normal. This happen last week and so far so good.

Also, someone said Shell bought Texaco. Is this true? I thought Chevron and Texaco was one in the same.

I stand corrected.

Someone told me that when I was in Alaska and it made sense, all the Texaco stations turned into Shell stations overnight, but upon further research on teh interweb, it was Chevron that bought Texaco.

There's my learnin' fer today.

I have always been happy with Chevron as well, but I am by no means an expert. May be a dumb question here, and no offense Sean, but were you running premium, or mid grade?

Yeah, always premium in her.

Yeah, always premium in her.

I assumed as much, but... had to ask.

• 3 weeks later...
I have seen so much inconsistancy out here with gas that I don't know what is the best or worst. I do know that every time I have seen a car pulling lots of timing from knock retard or what have you the answer most repeated when asked what type of gas they used is Chevron. But I have had others mention just about every other type out there as well, just not as much.

Kind of funny because you had my car on the ragged edge of 641rwhp and I only ran Chevron 91 at the time. Stock head/bottom end lived quite some time on that fuel and would have gone on living if it weren't for the hydrolock.

I have also heard of the fuel level sending unit in the tank of C5s getting messed up where it reads the wrong level and Shell/Chevron fuel fixing the problem. Their fuel will clean that little deal in the tank which is much cheaper than having it pulled and replaced.

A lot of people know what I make on pump and I choose Chevron every time I can with Shell being my backup. :willy

Weird huh?

Here is a great gasoline information website: http://www.toptiergas.com/

Look at the deposit control for the real gas differences. Also see retailers, which companies adhere to these higher standards.

Here's the list for the lazy ones.

QuikTrip

Chevron

Conoco

Phillips

Shell

Entec Stations

MFA Oil Company

Kwik Trip/Kwik Star

The Somerset Refinery, Inc.

Chevron-Canada

Aloha Petroleum

Tri-Par Oil Company

Shell-Canada

Texaco

Petro-Canada

Sunoco-Canada

I had a fuel injection problem with a Mercedes and the dealer wanted to replace them. another garage told me to get a few tanks of Chevron and it cleared up (the Techron they used cleans the injectors). moral of the story: If you have increased mileage and it starts to cut out, try using Techron additive or Chevron gas.

Phill's Vette

The key to using Techron additive is to use a bottle for each fill up and use it for an additional 2 more fill ups. Some people that have used Techron have said their car ran even worse after using it, but it IS working - just needs time to finish the job. Normally requires 2 - 3 treatments when using it for the first time or if you have not used it for a while. The same can be true for Chevron gas, if you never use it then your car may run bad until the Techron has had a chance to work.

All grades of Chevron Gas have Techron.

I'm Not trying to promote Chevron Corporation, I have used Chevron fuels for years - even before I became involved with them. So, my statements are a mixture of facts and personal preference.

:thumbs