Update on my month long tune up

Ted Y

I have the ignition all done. I had to figure out how to adjust the fancy and expensive racing roller rockers someone put in. I figured it out and still have to do that if anyone wants to help...

I had to replace my headlight actuator and control valves. I still have the passenger side to do. Now both headlights pop up and down. I adjusted the carb and the car idles smooth and makes 18 in of vacuum at idle. I also replaced the 160 thermostate with a 180 unit because it was running too cool in the Winter and took too long to warm up.

dist1.jpg

engine1.jpg

HPIM0034.jpg

HPIM0033.jpg

Looks Good!!! For all you C5 and C6 guys, that thing in the middle is a C A R B U R E T O R. :cfdeadagain

I always wondered what those things were.

Thanks. :lol

Looks Good!!! For all you C5 and C6 guys, that thing in the middle is a C A R B U R E T O R. :cfdeadagain

What does it do? :confused

Boy Ted, she is looking really nice. :thumbs

Pictures like that one make me yearn for teh old days when you worked on teh drivetrain, not teh various sensors, switches

and computers.....

Nice work! :partydance:

Isn't that a device that acts like a funnel, you just pour the gas and it just guzzles it up?

Ted, you going to take her to the strip sunday?

Isn't that a device that acts like a funnel, you just pour the gas and it just guzzles it up?

You can also pour your $ straight in there if you'd like. :burnout2

I thought I was, but my test drive didn't go well. Mechanically, everything is great. She starts up and runs great, but the valve covers are leaking so badly, I had to check I had reinstalled them. I had everything very clean. I wiped down the valve covers and the heads extensively and got rid of the old gasket and sealant. I got new gaskets, I used a gasket sealer, took my time and let it set up. I made sure they didn't move when I reinstalled them and BOTH SIDES have huge leaks. I must have lost a quart of oil going around the block, just judging from the amount on my garage floor...

The good news is that it is much quieter with the rockers adjusted and now I have no vaccum leaks and actually had to bump up the idle. I have invested all my free time this week and have no more left to work on it before Sunday. I have also put off all my homework due Monday. I can't drive this thing with it leaking this badly. Huge clouds of smoke follow the car from all the oil and it's all over the headers and the bottom of the car now...

It's days like this that I kinda wish I'd bought a new one...

Thanks... I was just doing some reading on the CF site and I am going to go and get some Fel Pro Rubber gaskets. Many C3 users swear by them as they are re-usable and don't require sealant.

I think my problem was over torqing the bolts. I possibly bent my cheap chrome valve covers, too. I am going to look at using the old aluminum ones again and get them cleaned up. They are much thicker and probably stronger. I'm going to do this Sunday and not worry about going to the strip. It sounds like there may not be too many going anyway.

I never did have much luck with the stamped metal valve covers... Can't wait to hear (or not hear) it idle now!!! :smilelol

I have the felpro on mine. Have pulled the covers several times with zero leakage and you only have to buy them once. Try puting a straight edge on your valve cover flange if it doesn't lay flat they are bent. good luck

FINALLY! :) I woke up early today (because I work extra tonight) and went and bought the FelPro gaskets. They were only about twice as expensive as cork. I was impressed because they have a metal inside like a head gasket with high temp silicone outside. They also had metal reinforcement around the bolt holes to prevent overtorque.

My main problem with the cork/rubber was that they would distort after bolting them on, even if they were straight when you installed them. The metal prevents that problem. Best of all, the FelPro installs dry, no goop to pry off and clean. I bought new cheap valve covers because I bent the old ones prying them off. I took it for a test drive, and no more leaks! :D

But, now I have a huge mess on my undercarriage and garage floor. Does anyone have a lift or high jack stands and a pressure washer? I need a detail day. I wonder how much CnV would charge to detail the underside.... Pete?

HPIM0038.jpg

HPIM0039.jpg

th_HPIM0041.jpg

Looks like I have been missing all the fun! Sorry I couldn't help out Ted. I'm feeling much better now and if you still need some help, let me know.....

Andrew