Need a good tire shop asap

92ZR1Wannabe

92ZR1Wannabe

Got a nail in my 315/35 ... I need it patch'd or pluggged. But i need a good tire shop thats not gonna mess up the rim. I went to big o (only thing local) and they would not touch it (probably did me a favor :\ )

Anybody know of a good tire shop, I have no problems going to phoenix to get it done right.

Nail is direct center of the tread. And the tire is only a few months old so i really don't want to buy a new one yet. :)

Thanks!

I've used do it yourself repair plugs on my Vette three time now. Been using them for years on other cars. Never had a problem.

Might be worth a try.

92ZR1Wannabe

I have a kit and was going to try plugging it this morning. But i could not get the %*$& nail out of the tire. It went in and then bent over. Ill bring some better tools home from work tommorrow and take the tire off the car and see if i can get it out. Once its out plugging it should not be a problem. :)

Are you guys talking about those leather external plugs (do it yourself)? I would only use those if you don't have a spare, and only to get home.

The only way to correctly repair a tire hole is to dismount the tire, drill out the damaged area (assuming the object went straight in and is not near the sidewall), then do an internal patch/plug and remount. That's as close to as good as the day you bought the tire if done properly.

Discount Tire will fix it for free and if they damage your rim they'll buy you a new "set". They did for my buddy, $2400 worth of chrome MBZ wheels for scratching one wheel!! It's their biz, I'd trust them with my wheel.......

92ZR1Wannabe
That's as close to as good as the day you bought the tire if done properly.

Discount Tire will fix it for free and if they damage your rim they'll buy you a new "set". They did for my buddy, $2400 worth of chrome MBZ wheels for scratching one wheel!! It's their biz, I'd trust them with my wheel.......

Thats exactly what i needed to know!

Thanks!

Discount Tire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Big O

I've also used Discount with no problems. I did ask first if they had anyone expierenced with Vettes and run flats, and the supervisor/Manager took on the job themselves. Good Luck!

Are you guys talking about those leather external plugs (do it yourself)? I would only use those if you don't have a spare, and only to get home.

Not sure what they are made of, but I think the are more rubber then leather.

I've been using this method for over 15 years with no problems. It will not cause a catastrophic failure of your tire. I?ve got three in the vette now. Two have been in there for two years. Probably cost me less then $10.

Are you telling us this is your toolkit at home??? :smilelol:smilelol

womantools.jpg

The butter knife and the steak knife are my favorite tools :lol

92ZR1Wannabe
Are you telling us this is your toolkit at home??? :smilelol:smilelol

womantools.jpg

Thats what it feels like at times.

I am a Industrial mechanic by trade, so all, and I do mean ALL of my tools are at work.

At home I have 2 cars under bumper to bumper warrenty , and the vette. So now i gotta start getting some tools for the house.

I buy all my tires(4 cars) from discount Tire. Their after sales service is unparalleled.

Got my last 4 at Discount in Chandler (Chandler and Dobson ish). They did a good job with the mount and balance.

Unless someone can give me a killer deal, it is where I will probably order my drag radials from too.

well it looks unanomous (sp?) i have used discount for just about every car i've ever owned - and the way i drive and lower my damn vehicles, i went through a LOT of tires! i used a couple different places and didn't have a problem, but then again, the nicest set of wheels i've ever had are on my chevy truck now, and they are toast (my own curb rash, not any tire shops fault) so i could care less - now - when i get a C5 - i'll be asking Smitty where his "preferred" shop is - as like he said, i want someone with experience when working with specific applications like a vette!