A message for any small business owner or employee

ChadC

I had to tell a client that he has lost all data for his company for the past 7 years.

Everything is gone.

Payroll. Patient history. X rays. Doctors notes. all of it.

After the broken hard drive comes back from the ‘Crime Lab’, I will try to extract what data I can. I am not very optimistic.

Early next week I will have to tell this client that 80% of all small business that suffer a catastrophic event end up closing there doors within 9 months.

All of this could have been avoided if he bought backup software and implmented a backup stragety. These items my company offered time and time again, but he refused or "just dident have time".

He has 6 employees.

There are some things I don’t like about my job.

All of this could have been avoided if he bought backup software and implmented a backup stragety. These items my company offered time and time again, but he refused or "just dident have time".

Chad,

You had offered advice as to what to do. Too bad your client didnt take it, I'm sure they are wishing the had taken the time to do so now. If everything would have been "backed up" and saved, how much time would that have taken to avoid this mess? 2hrs, 3? 6? hell even a whole day, it would have been worth it.

An ounce of prevention... I learned this lesson the hard way one time a long time ago. I am a backup nazi now.

Many of us collect large files at home ( music collections, video, etc ). In many cases its just not practical to back all of this stuff up. For things like this, I use RAID ( Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks ). What this basically is is a stack of hard drives ( i am using 4 500GB drives ) and a specialized disk controller. If a drive fails, there is enough information on the remaining disks to rebuild what was on the drive that failed. It has saved my bacon twice already from failed drives. It doesn't protect against theft, fire, flood, etc., but it does protect against drive loss. :2cents

Here's hoping your client isn't on the heavy side of that statistic.

An ounce of prevention... I learned this lesson the hard way one time a long time ago. I am a backup nazi now.

Its been my experience that every business owner has to go through a "Hard Lesson" once before they wise up.

Not a slam Dave/EUDLOSE but I have heard that phrase many times.

When signing on a new client if they utter that "Hard Lesson" phrase they will buy the necessary backup soultion. If they havent had that Lesson, they normaly spend more money on a new office desk.

Im not bitter or jaded. I feel bad for the guy. And he is going to feel worse when i send him a labor bill for over $4000. I have spent the past two weeks trying to get this fixed.

Cliff notes

server has unstable hardware.

work with Dell to tshoot the issue.

End up replacing the Motherboard, RAID card, and other parts (after many hours of finger pointing).

The backup I made as my standard personal policy failed.

I then learn the client never made ANY back up in 6 months.

Sending off my portable HD to remove data (fingers crossed).

sigh

Hey Chad,

If it makes you feel any better, I listened to your advice on backups after we talked a few months ago. I installed external HD's at both my stores and do regular manual and auto backups. Also, my book keeper said she would quit if we lost all info...

Thanks Chad you ROCK! But your comic strips really suck :thumbs :thumbs

You can lead 'em to the water ..but you cant make em drink.

I just format c: when I get pissed off enough at windows :)

-Frank (I got the 'good' stuff on CD, no worries)

Chad, it sucks but they deserve it. That's why you drive Vettes and soon they'll be taking the bus. One of those "told ya so". Relax, have a brew, it's not your problem. :thumbs

I know it's not the same...but...

I spend a lot of time making lesson plans, and computer based materials for all of my classes. I have stuff on my PC, on the server and on a flash drive I back up very frequently just in case. It's possible for one, even two to lose the data...not very likely all 3 would die at the same time.

Been around puters too long to take any chances.

one of the guys i do some work for went on vacation and his machine fried - most likely a power surge. he lost his power supply, and all his hard drives (that were set up in a RAID) and he failed to make a backup for about 3 weeks i think he said. luckily he was able to replace the electronic "board" on the back of the IDE hard drives - he was able to get them back to life and pull all his accounting data to bill for his work etc. hopefully he learned his lesson - as he is a computer guy by trade - HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!!!!

for my personal stuff - i have so many backups i dont even know where they all are! luckily there is nothing important enough to need quick access to.

my business stuff hasnt yet been backed up, but i only have about $1000 in my Receivables right now.

i guess ill back up that quickbooks file TONIGHT when i get home.

Chad - does your company offer any "offsite" backup solution? I have a couple colleagues who offer this service that backs their data up to a server in a data center somewhere - and im assuming it is all automatic. If youd like more info, let me know.