C6 Rear Axle Nut Torque

Speedratchet

Dwayne, are you talking about the Lower control arm washer...

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2004 Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. Washers that are used along with nuts to attach the lower control arms were made of the wrong steel material. These washers may fracture and become loose or fall away from the vehicle, making it possible for the control arm to separate. If this were to occur on the front of the vehicle, the affected corner of the vehicle will drop and the affected wheel could tilt outward, creating a dragging action that would tend to slow the vehicle and turn it in the direction of the affected corner. The driver could maintain some steering control with the unaffected wheel, but the vehicle control would be diminished. If the separation occurs at the rear of the vehicle (XLR and Corvette only), it could cause unexpected right or left lateral forces at the rear of the vehicle. Although steering of the front wheels would be unaffected, control of vehicle direction would be impaired.

Front or rear control arm separation may also reduce brake system performance and increase stopping distance.

If these events occur and the driver is unable to react in time, a crash could occur.

Dwayne, are you talking about the Lower control arm washer...

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2004 Cadillac CTS, SRX and XLR, and Chevrolet Corvette vehicles. Washers that are used along with nuts to attach the lower control arms were made of the wrong steel material. These washers may fracture and become loose or fall away from the vehicle, making it possible for the control arm to separate. If this were to occur on the front of the vehicle, the affected corner of the vehicle will drop and the affected wheel could tilt outward, creating a dragging action that would tend to slow the vehicle and turn it in the direction of the affected corner. The driver could maintain some steering control with the unaffected wheel, but the vehicle control would be diminished. If the separation occurs at the rear of the vehicle (XLR and Corvette only), it could cause unexpected right or left lateral forces at the rear of the vehicle. Although steering of the front wheels would be unaffected, control of vehicle direction would be impaired.

Front or rear control arm separation may also reduce brake system performance and increase stopping distance.

If these events occur and the driver is unable to react in time, a crash could occur.

It was a recall back in 04. Here is a copy of it.

04V273000: BALL STUD JOINT INSPECTION NHTSA RECALL BULLETIN

Reference Number(s): 04V273000

ARTICLE BEGINNING

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION

Model(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS

2004 Cadillac SRX

2004 Cadillac XLR

2004 Chevrolet Corvette

Campaign No: 04V273000

Mfg. Campaign No: 04043

Number of Affected Vehicles: 41928

Beginning Date of Manufacture: 2004 01 01

Ending Date of Manufacture: 2004 04 30

DEFECT SUMMARY

On certain passenger vehicles involved in this campaign, the lower control arm ball stud nut/washer assemblies with washers were made of the wrong material. The washers may fracture and become loose or fall away from the vehicle, reducing clamp load. Separation of the control arm ball stud and steering knuckle, due to disengagement of the tapered attachment and retaining nut, is possible.

CONSEQUENCE SUMMARY

If the control arm separates from the knuckle, the affected corner of the vehicle will drop and the control arm would be forced downward, contacting the wheel. The affected wheel could tilt outward and create a dragging action that would tend to slow the vehicle and create a tendency for the vehicle to turn in the direction of the affected wheel. In extreme situations, the affected wheel assembly could separate from the vehicle. Separation of the wheel assembly would also sever that wheel's hydraulic brake hose and result in diminished braking performance of the vehicle, which could result in a crash.

CORRECTIVE SUMMARY

Dealers will inspect the ball stud joints and measure the torque of the nut for all front lower control arms in all models affected as well as the rear lower control arms on the XLR and Corvette. If the torque is not at specification, the dealers will replace the ball stud, the knuckle, and the nut. If the torque is at specification, the dealers will replace the nut/washer a&sembly only. The recall will begin on August 25, 2004.

OWNER NOTIFICATION

Owners should contact Cadillac at 1-866-982-2339 or Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration operates Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Eastern Time. For more information call (800) 424-9393 or (202) 366-0123. For the hearing impaired, call (800) 424-9153.

Thanks guys,

I knew I had heard about 5's having a problem. And my 98 is not on the list... Whew!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We just checked Malcolm's car (07 Z06) this morning for the proper axle nut torque. Passenger side was in specs, but the driver side only had about 20 ft. lbs. of torque on it.

Gary what was the size of the socket for that nut, and was the torque spec 140# or 160#? Also does one need to jack the car up when loosening it and adding loctite?

Gary what was the size of the socket for that nut, and was the torque spec 140# or 160#? Also does one need to jack the car up when loosening it and adding loctite?

FYI: I used 1/2" drive torque wrench with a 33mm socket. I tightened mine with the wheels off.

Drivers side was 118 and passenger was about 80 lb.

I've read where some have tightened the nut with wheels on and off. Don't think it makes a big difference unless one is really loose.

The proper size socket is a 34mm, but in some cases a 33mm fits better. On Malcolm's car one side was a perfect 34 and the other side was a perfect 33.

The original torque spec is 118 Ft. Lbs. The new spec if you have a loose nut is 140 Ft. Lbs. with blue Loctite on the threads. They also suggest that you replace the nut with a new one. You can do everything with the wheels on and the car on the floor.

Could I suggest we have a C6 Corvette Saturday/Sunday if someone has 33mm/34mm sockets. Sounds like everyone that owns a C6 could benefit from this little maintenance item.

I've got the torque wrench and I'll buy the locktite. I'll even host it if anyone else is interested.

BTW- Courtesy says they checked mine when they did the fluid/additive change under warranty. I don't trust dealerships!

Robert and Elizabeth

I agree!! :yesnod

We will pitch in to help fly Gary up here and wine and dine him if we all can get together to do this.

I agree!! :yesnod

We will pitch in to help fly Gary up here and wine and dine him if we all can get together to do this.

Have wrench will travel. :scareddriver:

Speedratchet

Here is the TSB for the problem:

Subject: Tapping or Scraping Noise From Rear Wheel Area (Replace Wheel Drive Shaft Nut) #07-04-95-001 - (09/26/2007)

Models: 2005-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition

Some customers may comment on a tapping or a scraping noise coming from the rear wheel area.

Cause

This condition may be due to the torque on the wheel drive shaft nut relaxing over time.

Correction

Replace the left and the right wheel drive shaft nut following the procedure below.

Remove the center cap from the rim.

Remove and discard the wheel drive shaft nut.

Apply LOCTITE™ 272, or equivalent, to the threads of the axle shaft.

Install the nut and tighten to the new specification.

Tighten

Tighten the nut to 215 N·m (160 lb ft).

Install the center cap to the rim.

Important: The vehicle should not be driven for 24 hours following the repair in order to allow the thread lock to cure.

• 3 weeks later...