Allignment

Guest cooljoe57

Guest cooljoe57

Well the toe in, I think its the toe in, on my rear left tire is out of wack its leaning out fairly noticeable. So I'm left with the discussion of trying to find a shop in Tucson thats some what competent and trusting them to do it, or trying to attempt it myself. While I'm at it I'd probably be smart to re-align the front as well. So any suggestions? Has any one does such a thing, if so how bad was it and even more so am I going to need any special tools? Or any where in Tucson to take this to?

Thanks,

-Joe

Sound like a "camber" problem...

camber.gif

not a "toe out" problem.

Image4.jpg

You will not be able to do any kind of alignmnent accurately without the proper equipment and that's not tools...

alignment_wheels.jpg

and that does not include the rolling computer station that you need.

As far as finding a shop in Tucson I cannot help you.

I have used Joe's shop (Classic Auto Gold) here in the Phoenix area, as well as Network Alignment.

Check to see if they have a Network Alignment in Tucson.

Phill's Vette

Joe,

If your rear tire(s) are leaning in or out at at the top, this is normally a chamber adjustment which is rather easy to do yourself. You can get it close enough by eyeballing it. This is something you don't want to to leave bad too long as it will wear the bearings in the spindle/trailing arms and cost all kinds of $$ to repair. If this is the leaning you are talking about, send me a PM and I will sent you a copy of the procedure from my manuals.

Guest dmzmanchu
Well the toe in, I think its the toe in, on my rear left tire is out of wack its leaning out fairly noticeable. So I'm left with the discussion of trying to find a shop in Tucson thats some what competent and trusting them to do it, or trying to attempt it myself. While I'm at it I'd probably be smart to re-align the front as well. So any suggestions? Has any one does such a thing, if so how bad was it and even more so am I going to need any special tools? Or any where in Tucson to take this to?

Thanks,

-Joe

Check out your strut rod bushings and leaf spring cushions. The 80 model provides for some camber adjustment with the strut rods under the differential. Almost all businesses that do alignments have the equipment to do a four wheel aligmnent which your vette will need to have it done properly. Finding a shop that has a suspension tech that has experience with working on C3s is a different story. Call around to some of the shops in your area to see if they have someone like this and then go talk to the tech in person. A couple of minutes with the tech should give a good idea if you want the shop to do anything on your car or not.

I have had all my vehicles aligned at O Riley’s and have had excellent results. They did the four wheel alignment on my C4 for $80 and it is such a blast to drive now. Be advised that you need to make sure you don't have any worn out parts on the front end or the rear end otherwise your just wasting your money on an alignment. I had to replace a side yoke a hub and the strut rod bushings on mine before I had it aligned but it was the perfect excuse to put polly bushings in.

I have used Joe's shop (Classic Auto Gold) here in the Phoenix area, as well as Network Alignment.

Check to see if they have a Network Alignment in Tucson.

I've used Network Aignmnet before (the Gilbert Road shop) but never again.

Phill's Vette

Most C3's I've seen, the trailing arms shims are rusted in place which makes it impossible to do a true 4 wheel alignment properly. Most shops will not touch these rusty shims because it is very time consuming and costly work. If the shims are rusted - a DIY replacement is possible for most people. THEN you can take it to a good alignment shop. Also anything else that needs replacement, as Jefro and dmzmanchu said, take care of it before the alignment. Joe, I will send you some info in the next day or two.

:thumbs

Guest dmzmanchu

I was in the BIZ of repairing cars for many years and my specialty was suspensions, I aligned at least 50 C3s during that time.Phil brings up a valid concern about the shims for the trailing arms as they are now many years old. I would 'Shake Down' the entire suspension system prior to any alignment and it never was for the coupon price. I was never trying to get rich but trying to give the customer what he paid for. I tried to keep my 1st post short with help of what to look for, to arm you with the knowledge of what to expect from the shops. It's not a big deal and would be more than happy to spin my wrenches for an ACE member. Screw the lunches and lets rock on our cars.

The response having to do with the rusty shims has to do with the tow-in of the rear wheels and they are correct about the trouble this can be. The original factoryshims had holes drilled in the shim so once the factory put them in they could not come out without removing the control arm bolt, but if an alignment has been done in the past, then these were most likely removed and slotted shim were installed which will enable you to remove the old ones and do an alignment. The control arm MUST slide on the bolt for you to be able to adjust the toe-in. Even if you are able to remove the shims, you may find the control arm is frozen on the bolt and the only way to get it free, will be to replace the control arm bushing and bolt. This can be a job but one that you can do if given the time and tools, as it does not take any special tools.

The problem you have with the tire leaning, is the camber and this can be resolve very easy. If you look at the end of the strut control arm (goes from the rear end out to the wheel) under the rear end, you will find a cam that is part of the bolt. If you lossen the nut on the bolt, you will be able to rotate the bolt head and vary this cam. This cam will change the angle of tilt on the rear wheel. On a C3 you want the top of the tire to tilt "IN" a little (2-3 degrees or more), you do not want it straight up and down. You should be able to rough this adjustment and get the car back on the road long enough to address the other issue before taking it for alignment.

In my mine if the issue has just arisen, then this bolt could be lose and the cam has rotated to create this condition. Either that or you hit something and bent the strut control arm to make the wheel lean inward.

Send me a note if you have any questions on what I have tried to explain.

I was in the BIZ of repairing cars for many years and my specialty was suspensions, I aligned at least 50 C3s during that time.Phil brings up a valid concern about the shims for the trailing arms as they are now many years old. I would 'Shake Down' the entire suspension system prior to any alignment and it never was for the coupon price. I was never trying to get rich but trying to give the customer what he paid for. I tried to keep my 1st post short with help of what to look for, to arm you with the knowledge of what to expect from the shops. It's not a big deal and would be more than happy to spin my wrenches for an ACE member. Screw the lunches and lets rock on our cars.

Do you still have the equipment and time to do an alignment on a C3? I would like to get mine done this Fall as I am in the process of replacing my springs. I have the rear done and am waiting for cooler temps to tackle the fronts. They are badly sagging.

Guest dmzmanchu

Do you still have the equipment and time to do an alignment on a C3? I would like to get mine done this Fall as I am in the process of replacing my springs. I have the rear done and am waiting for cooler temps to tackle the fronts. They are badly sagging.

I have the tools and I wish I had an alignment machine at the house but 25Gs for something I would use a few times a year would have me sleeping in the garage. This fall when the temps drop would be a great time to do your fronts. Let me know where and when.

Phill's Vette

:agree:thumbs :thumbs :partydance: