Drewstein's Dyno Runs 9/1/7

Robert and Elizabeth

Robert and Elizabeth

Drewstein said he would post his dyno results later when he gets them from his e-mail.

OK so I assume by the other videos that you had vanessa dynoed as well, so whats her numbers looking like?

OK so I assume by the other videos that you had vanessa dynoed as well, so whats her numbers looking like?

Naw...they just like to hang out at those dyno places and drool. :smilelol

Robert and Elizabeth

Ok, Ok, we did dyno Vanessa too. She was running really badly after the ported heads were installed. Nic did a dyno tune on her and she has been cured! THANK YOU NIC!!! :clap:clap

We do have a problem though. She is badly handicapped by not having the port matched manifold in place. Nic says it is like a dam in the airflow. We only got 512 RWHP and 450 RWTQ. :banghead We were hoping for close to 550 RWHP. He said she should do much better after the manifold is installed and in the cooler weather. It was 102 degrees out when we did it. So, we continue to wait (over 4 months now :deadhorse ) for the manifold to arrive.

We did install the new air intake. It is a Halltech "killer bee" (go figure!) air intake system that looks and sounds pretty awesome! We purchased it and had it installed at Xtreme Motorsports. It was nice to see Jason again too. :yesnod

Sorry for the hijack, now back to your regularly scheduled programming of Drewstein's dyno runs. :D

It's not a hijack...it's your thread. :lol I feel so sorry for you too...only 512rwhp...how pathetic... :devil

Really, that's pretty good. But why is the rwtq so much lower than the hp? I thought they'd be closer.

Robert and Elizabeth
It's not a hijack...it's your thread. :lol I feel so sorry for you too...only 512rwhp...how pathetic... :devil

Really, that's pretty good. But why is the rwtq so much lower than the hp? I thought they'd be closer.

Robert says...

When you go high rpm, it pumps up the HP. A single CAM can be set up either for low to mid range power or mid to high range power. If you want both, you would need dual overhead CAMS. We told Mike to set us up for mid to high rpm power and he did. The good thing is lack of torque on the bottom end means the tires will have a chance to hook up before the power hits. We are no longer thinking of a supercharger for Vanessa. We are actually thinking about mid mounted twin turbos because turbos pump up your torque and that would result in closer HP to torque numbers. Plus, we have learned that superchargers can block the air flow to the air conditioning on front mounted models. Also, having remote mounted turbos would keep the under hood temps down. Superchargers can have a problem with belt slippage when you get to the high boost ranges. The biggest problem of all is the temp issue. This is not good when living in AZ during the summers. We are thinking about stock displacement "built" 427 with the mid mounted twin turbos now because of this.

Robert and Elizabeth
Keep in mind that when Ken dynoed his car in the 70 degree weather is was 450/458. Then in 110 degrees it was 408/380. Plug those HP loss numbers into your results and you would have 554/528!!

Just a thought

Thank you Mark for reminding us of that. Those numbers help to put things into perspective! :yesnod

Ok, Ok, we did dyno Vanessa too. She was running really badly after the ported heads were installed. Nic did a dyno tune on her and she has been cured! THANK YOU NIC!!! :clap:clap

We do have a problem though. She is badly handicapped by not having the port matched manifold in place. Nic says it is like a dam in the airflow. We only got 512 RWHP and 450 RWTQ. :banghead We were hoping for close to 550 RWHP. He said she should do much better after the manifold is installed and in the cooler weather. It was 102 degrees out when we did it. So, we continue to wait (over 4 months now :deadhorse ) for the manifold to arrive.

We did install the new air intake. It is a Halltech "killer bee" (go figure!) air intake system that looks and sounds pretty awesome! We purchased it and had it installed at Xtreme Motorsports. It was nice to see Jason again too. :yesnod

Sorry for the hijack, now back to your regularly scheduled programming of Drewstein's dyno runs. :D

Keep your chin up, wait for it to cool down some and you will get there. I feel your pain, I got 400 rwhp with 116 ambient air temp after they got the cam in. Can't wait for cooler temps to get out to the track. I'm hoping I'll skip the 12's altogether and jump to the 11's.

Time will tell

:jd WOW...that's impressive in this heat. :burnout2

NicD is very good at his job.I don't use meth/alchy or nitrous either.

Sweet. :yeah: Took me a second...but his plate is way too cool too. :tach:

And the plate's that way so when it kills me irony will prevail! :partydance:

Guest AZ Power & Sound
It's not a hijack...it's your thread. :lol I feel so sorry for you too...only 512rwhp...how pathetic... :devil Really, that's pretty good. But why is the rwtq so much lower than the hp? I thought they'd be closer.
Robert says...When you go high rpm, it pumps up the HP. A single CAM can be set up either for low to mid range power or mid to high range power. If you want both, you would need dual overhead CAMS. We told Mike to set us up for mid to high rpm power and he did. The good thing is lack of torque on the bottom end means the tires will have a chance to hook up before the power hits. We are no longer thinking of a supercharger for Vanessa. We are actually thinking about mid mounted twin turbos because turbos pump up your torque and that would result in closer HP to torque numbers. Plus, we have learned that superchargers can block the air flow to the air conditioning on front mounted models. Also, having remote mounted turbos would keep the under hood temps down. Superchargers can have a problem with belt slippage when you get to the high boost ranges. The biggest problem of all is the temp issue. This is not good when living in AZ during the summers. We are thinking about stock displacement "built" 427 with the mid mounted twin turbos now because of this.
whether turbo or supercharger, the intercooler goes in the same place and will effect A/C and cooling either way :)
Vette%20Highest.jpg
Cant wait to see the dyno in December :)

Lookin at the chart ..

..in the 'old' days you would want a close ratio manual with shift points just past 6k,

as you would want to stay close to peak torque, dropping ~1k rpm each shift ..

..to get max acceleration out of that profile.

An ideal tranny setup would let you have 1500rpm tween 1-2, then 1k per shift

..as the 1-2 shift drop you can afford to drop a little past max torque - have a little more time in 1st - launch a little better.

Love dyno charts .. can really let you know where you gotta be to use the motor's potential.

-Frank