Brake Dust

Guest LikeNu2

Guest LikeNu2

I have owned 2 C-5's. A 2000 Coupe and a 2002 Z0-6. Here is the problem. My 2000 hardly ever gave off any front wheel brake dust. My Z0-6 on the other hand is a dust devil. I can clean the wheels (both on and off the car) and a short drive later the wheels are blackened again. Are the pads in the coupe and the Z0-6 the same, or is there a pad that is less dusty yet still be rotor friendly.

JoeB :confused

Before I left on my recent 5K mi trip I went with GM ceramic pad. Much better than the stock pads for dust.

....however ...... there is a trade off. Ask Dan C. about his experience with ceramic pads. He was on a cruise and got to the point where he had no brakes to slow the car.

There is a balance with brake pads. Either you will get great stopping power (due to high friction) and lots of dust (because the pads wear from the friction). Or, you get clean wheels and less that what I would call decent stopping power. You may get stopping power for day to day city driving, but for any spirited driving the ceramic pads do not have enough friction to handle the demands you put on them. Also, ceramics transfer all the heat right to the brake caliper and thus the brake fluid, cooking it and causing brake fade.

As far as rotor wear, "I" would rather replace pads that wear down quickly than rotors. I would also rather clean my wheels often and not have to yell "NO BRAKES" on a cruise through the twisties.

3,503 lbs of trouble
....however ...... there is a trade off.  Ask Dan C. about his experience with ceramic pads.  He was on a cruise and got to the point where he had no brakes to slow the car.