Who Knows? AZ Dmv

jstrutt

So in October I'm bringing back Tony's '98. Does anyone know or have a link to info if there is a permit available in AZ to bring (drive) the beauty home to Canada without buying permits in NM, CO, WY and MT? I checked their website but can't find any info? Help! :banghead:banghead:banghead

If Tony is keeping his plate then you just need a 30 day general use permit.

My solution would be for you to use the plate for the trip home and mail it back to Tony when you get there. In that case all you'd need is the signed and notarized title. I'm not sure what it takes to get it into Canada though. Aren't import fees pretty steep?

If Tony is keeping his plate then you just need a 30 day general use permit.

My solution would be for you to use the plate for the trip home and mail it back to Tony when you get there. In that case all you'd need is the signed and notarized title. I'm not sure what it takes to get it into Canada though. Aren't import fees pretty steep?

Eddie, getting it into Canada is this way:

First I have to go through US Customs and must have the clear title, bill of sale and old registration to them 72 hours before I get there. Then a short 1 block drive to Canada customs, where they need clear title, bill of sale, letter from manufacturer stating all recalls have been completed. Then I drop 6% of the total sale to them plus $100 for air conditioning. Then a $75 Federal inspection at Canadian Tire (the only place contracted to do Federal vehicle tests). Once it passes off to Provincial government where I drop them another 5% of the total cost so I can register it. Then a Provincial inspections (exactly the same as the Federal) for another $75.

The problem is getting it to the SK, MT border without using a million permits. If I used Tony's plate and mailed it back the vehicle would still be registered to Tony. Not sure if that would work. Blew X U (Ed) is doing alot of checking on stuff like that for me and I thank him a million. Tomorrow I'm going to phone AZ MDV in Phoenix and see what they say. I found the info on the 30 day permit earlier but wondered about the registration. I checked with my insurance today and they will cover the car to the border registered or not. So with that in mind, perhaps I could use Tony's plate and mail it back. :banghead:banghead It will work out one way or another. Even if I have to put it on a truck and ship it.

"Dammit Karen, I will get that red 'vette into Canada, even if I have to pay off every one of those Royal Mounties..."

prog0523lumberjacks.jpg

That's quite the scam they're runnin', just tell 'em Tony sold it to ya for a C-note.... :leaving

"Dammit Karen, I will get that red 'vette into Canada, even if I have to pay off every one of those Royal Mounties..."

prog0523lumberjacks.jpg

That's quite the scam they're runnin', just tell 'em Tony sold it to ya for a C-note.... :leaving

You're right. Everytime you turn around the government has their hands in your pocket. The car will get here. Karen will be driving the '92 so I can send her ahead to get permits then catch up with her, I mean pass her. Love that avatar :smilelol:smilelol:smilelol:smilelol

Robert and Elizabeth

Damn John, I had no idea it would cost that much $$ to get your Vette registered in Canada! :jd

BTW Dean, I love your new Monty Python avatar and Canadian Mounty picture! "And now for something completely different..."

Damn John, I had no idea it would cost that much $$ to get your Vette registered in Canada! :jd

BTW Dean, I love your new Monty Python avatar and Canadian Mounty picture! "And now for something completely different..."

It's well worth every penny I spend to have the nicest Vette in SK :thumbs

I'm sure we can work out a purchase price agreement, you can have the plates, as I will no longer IT GOES, the rest will be between you and the Mounties :smilelol

Guest Sidewinder
I'm sure we can work out a purchase price agreement, you can have the plates, as I will no longer IT GOES, the rest will be between you and the Mounties :smilelol

I thought he was payin ya in Molson and back bacon ay? :lol

John,

I think the 30 day permit is what you need. I have personally seen AZ permits that have out of state and even Mexico adresses for the registered owner. I don't see why they can't give you one for a Canadian address... Since you don't live in the states between AZ and SK, you won't need a permit for each state. Only AZ because you live out of the country and bought it here.

Good luck and don't forget to leave a 0 off the bill of sale!

Ted

BLEW X U (Ed) has done a lot of research on this for me. Thanks Ed! Tony I will pm you (probably use your plates if I don;t have to add a 0 :smilelol ). There is a 5 day permit available that will get you through the States. Car dealerships use it all the time. You get it from the State. But I think it will be a lot easier just using Tony's and then Fedex them back.

Thanks for all the input!

Mounties?........we don't need no stinkin Mounties!

:thumbs

All cleared up thanks to BLEW X U (Ed). Just spoke with AZ DMV and they will give you a 90 day "Drive Out Permit" that is good anywhere in US or Canada. All you do is take a copy of the title (notorized), bill of sale and your drivers licence (to prove you're from out of State) and my insurance company supplies the insurance even though it's not registered. Presto.........You're off like 30 kids to the Ice Cream Truck.

Now that's ACE. Ed spent hours yesterday and today getting me the info. Thanks Ed! :thumbs

WTG :)

I used a 30-day years ago to drive my Duster here to Phx to get it registered from CA ..worked like a charm.

-Frank (and ya .. sometimes Kall-ee-for-neeyah seems like another country)

I don't care what Phil says about you Ed, your an righteous dude in my book!