Door Window Motors

r40734

OK, the 5th window motor has just went out on my '03 Z06 in a about a year and a half. I have been having them replaced under warranty at the stealerships (side note: they screw up the window alignment every time causing the dreaded wind noise at highway speeds). I don't even roll down the windows very often, but it gets very frustrating when I roll up to an ATM and the window won't work.

Does anyone have any insight as to what is going on with this issue? Is it a problem a lot of people have had with their C5's?

Speedratchet

WINDOW Tip-In Adjustment

TOOLS REQUIRED

#6 Inverted TORX Socket

1. Position the window fully up.

2. Remove the large access plug from under the front of the door.

3. Loosen the window regulator front channel mounting nut,

4. Remove the reflector from the trim panel

5. Loosen the jack screw jam nut.

6. Adjust tip In with the jack screw.

- Turn the jack screw clockwise to tip the window outward.

- Turn the jack screw counterclockwise to tip the window inward,

- One turn of the screw equals approximately 1 N.m (0.04 in) change at the top of the window

7. Tighten the jack screw jam nut.

8. Lower the window,

9. Tighten the window regulator channel front mounting nut

10. Raise the window and check the alignment

11. install the access plug under the front of the door.

12. Install the reflector in the door trim panel.

__________________________________________________ __

Minor Window Height Adjustment

Use this procedure when window height is off less than 3 mm (0.12 In).

1. Open the door and remove the small front access plug and the rear access plug from the underside of the door

2. Adjust the front and the rear window regulator jack screws equally,

3. Close the door and check the window alignment

4. Open the door and install the access plugs.

Speedratchet,

That's a really good, condensed procedure on adjusting the windows. I always have one extra step involved at the beginning: pull the door panel and tighten all the mounting bolts left loose by the techs that replaced the motor and/or electronics.

I just wish I could figure out why the motors keep dying.

Kipp

Speedratchet

The right window motor and regulator malfunction is pretty common. I would start looking for the cause if you replaced the motor 5 times. The harness coming through the door has attributed to a lot of window problems. It's a pain to inspect, but it may fix your problem for good.

Well, I'd sait it's odd, but apparently it's not...Our passenger window motor just died 2 weeks ago on our '04 Z06.

Jack & Lori

You guys just gotta quit letting your wives put that window down :yesnod

Hey, Eddie...no fair. I'm the wife you are talking about. :boxing I'll be seeking you out at our first event! :lol

Well in your case why aren't you telling the old man to move over cause you're going to be driving your Vette? Any guy with half a brain knows that bottom line the Vettes all belong to you women anyway. :lol:lol

Hey, Eddie...no fair. I'm the wife you are talking about. :boxing I'll be seeking you out at our first event! :lol

Eddie you done it again. That a boy. :thumbs:smilelol

Well in your case why aren't you telling the old man to move over cause you're going to be driving your Vette? Any guy with half a brain knows that bottom line the Vettes all belong to you women anyway. :lol:lol

Well, at least you think the right way. :agree But, I gotta tell you, the vette is all Jack's. Not that I don't love it; we have fun, and I love being the passenger. But just between you and me I'm stick-shift-driving challenged. :P Go ahead and laugh! He wants me to drive it, and I've done it; I just can't stand it. Don't get me wrong...I've got a lead foot, and I love to drive fast as much as the next guy...but I really can't stand having to think about what my hands and my feet are doing. And I'd say I'm pretty good at walking and chewing gum at the same time. :smilelol

I just let Otto do the shifting.

He never misses a gear, and my leg dont get tired in traffic.

-Frank (ya . . Otto Mattick :)