Headers And A.i.r. Ports

Guest cooljoe57

Guest cooljoe57

Hey, has any one here ever modified a set of headers to allow for the smog/AIR injector tubes. Is this even possible or am i just a dreamer? If not whats going to be the best after market headers for my '80 that will have the AIR ports? Any help and tips are greatly appreciated.

-Joe

Desertdawg

Let me dig in my shed tomorrow or friday, I think I have an 82 air pump and brackets that you could probably use!!!

Now all we need is for Andrew to say he kept the air tubes off of the 82 manifolds I sold to him, you could weld them on to your headers, and it would almost look factory.

We'll get you fixed up!!! :thumbs

Not sure how muchy time you have, but in the not too distant future, I have decided to go to side pipes, so...mine will be available...but it won't be before Christmas.

Cross your finger that Anderw kept his!

Phill's Vette

Check this link at Hedman: Hedman Hedders

I have Hedman headers for my 82, waiting to have them ceramic coated before install; going to do a true Duel exaust with two hi-flow cats, Flowmasters and have the transmission crossmember from a 79 to do the true duels through the frame. I also have a kit like the one in the link that we will weld on after the coating is done. I got the crossmember, cats and headers (NIB) from ebay; total cost when complete will be around $450-$500 - this inculdes having a friend help me custom weld it all in.

I figure do it right the, way I really want it, the first time, instead of waiting after the motor is modified.

Good luck and post what you decide!

Guest cooljoe57

well i already have hooker headers, I'd rather just keep em for now. That would be awesome you guys do have some of the stuff. Im not in a real big hurry for the stuff, but Christmas is a little longer than i want to wait lol thanks tho dewey. Dawg, were you thinking of welding the tube strait to the headers or welding something that they would thread into on the headers?

anmracing2

Oh-oh..........eh.gif

I just saw this thread and ran out to the garage to make sure I still have those tubes..... Ummmmm.... I may have got rid of them.... I don't remember thowing them out but I may have..... I'll look again when it's not soooooo hot out....

I know that Edelbrock makes headers with the AIR tubes too.

Andrew

Guest cooljoe57

Alright, i found a few of the goodies on ebay, still need to find a pump(pulley, brackets) and the tubes, and the vacuum/smog lines, and all the sensors

Guest cooljoe57

Alright, since i cant seem to find a bracket any where for the air pump i resorted to geting one off an GM small block 350 that had the same pump, from my local junk yard. But only to find out that im not even sure where the stock bracket mounts. If any one happens to have any good pictures of the front of a 80 with the smog pump mounted, or even some diagrams that would be awesome.

-Joe

Phill's Vette
Alright, since i cant seem to find a bracket any where for the air pump i resorted to geting one off an GM small block 350 that had the same pump, from my local junk yard. But only to find out that im not even sure where the stock bracket mounts. If any one happens to have any good pictures of the front of a 80 with the smog pump mounted, or even some diagrams that would be awesome.

-Joe

Joe,

You should find the diagrams you need here:

Corvettec3

This is a big download so hopefully you have high speed connection. This is really good info and its free:D

picture of my 1980 when it was stock. Bad picture, but digital cameras sucked in 2000.

I sent you a PM. The first bracket if the large one under the pump. Mounts to the 2 bolts on the water pump and 2 bolts on the manifold.

The other bracket - black - you can see on the top. It goes between the pump and the stud on the driver's side of the water pump.

the guy that set mine up @ a shop on Bell used an elec smog pump it went thru emissions great.........

Guest cooljoe57

Alright, got the bracket all taken care of, thanks on the help bryan and phill. Now just to figure out how to get my egr valve on a intake that has no egr mount. Ideas?

-Joe

Here's a diagram with some parts numbers from Corvette Central. They have the best web site for ordering parts, IMO.

Guest cooljoe57

thanks on the diagram that helped. But still no luck on the dam elbow, may just have to mount it direct to the pump (if i even can).

Is the part you need the bent tube without a part number between the diverter and check valve? The parts dept can usually find you one if you describe it to them over the phone. Just a thought.

Here's another diagram.

Lemme ask this. You're doing this to pass emissions right? Do you still have the single exhaust with the catalytic converter?

If you've gone dual exhaust with no cats, you might consider having someone install cats. I would think that would be more effective than a smog pump and less lost hp at the motor. Just a thought. Especially trying to find all these parts and make them work with your headers...

Guest cooljoe57
Lemme ask this. You're doing this to pass emissions right? Do you still have the single exhaust with the catalytic converter?

If you've gone dual exhaust with no cats, you might consider having someone install cats. I would think that would be more effective than a smog pump and less lost hp at the motor. Just a thought. Especially trying to find all these parts and make them work with your headers...

No its just the single exhaust with stock cat, plus they are looking for all this stuff (i "passed" everything execpt the visual inspection for the emissions equipment). To be honest with you this thing is only stay on for one day a year so im not worried about that. I have almost everything except the diverter valve elbow and a belt (which i'll get when everything is mounted. The part i circled is the part im missing. It's the part that hooks into the pump then it hooks up to the actual diverter valve, it makes it so the diverter valve is facing the right direction. And i have a way to mount the tubes to the exhaust headers. I plan on posting up pictures of everything when i do it.

smogdiagram.jpg

I think a phone call to the parts center at Corvette Central will help you find the right part. I've had no luck finding new parts for old vettes locally. 800.345.4122

What do folks do with these heavily modded newer vettes with monster hp? Do the turbo and blower systems and such still pass emissions and a visual inspection? Hmmm more Q's than A's right now.

Guest cooljoe57

I havnt an clue how they get away with it, part of my problem is this car is coming from out of state so there looking over it with a fine tooth pick. I was told that if i got this installed it'd pass, so im just doing what i think is right lol, weather thats the best way to do it or not im not sure.