How I Spent My Sunday

Desertdawg

Desertdawg

Started teh day at 3:30 am had to drive 65 miles west to fix a switch.

Then back out west at 11am to BFE, or if you want to get picky, Roll Arizona... :leaving

8 and a half hours stringing up 2 new line wires on top of 35 foot poles by myself because some looser yahoo decided he wanted the copper wire more than the RR did... :hunter

I wish they would open up the copper mines again, these azzhats are stealing us blind all over Phoenix, and now they are hitting us out in the middle of nowhere!!!

Sure makes for a lovely Sunday afternoon, standing on the top of a 35 foot pole trying to pull new wires when your pliers fall out of your pouch. :devil

They will take any thing. I have also worked this weekend. Sunday they stoled all the brass handles off the faucets in the mens and women restrooms and the supply pipes. At least I still have my pilers. :D

Guest UVETTYA

The other day some monkey in Phx got electrocuted trying to steal copper wire from a live circuit. I'm sure it was shocking to discover it was energized with 12,000 volts. :yesnod

The copper mines are closed? :huh

Last week I had to crawl up in an attic and work all day replacing all the copper pipe someone ripped out of rental for one of my clients. The heat sucked but the pay made up for it! :D

Wow, did not realize that metal theft was such a booming business.

Hopefully you got paid well Dawg.

Robert and Elizabeth
Wow, did not realize that metal theft was such a booming business.

:agree

I had no idea it was this bad. Don't the places that buy that type of metal keep a log of who brings it in and what it is? Sounds like if they don't, they need to. Just my :2cents

Guest racingchester

A few years ago the mine at San Manuel was missing a truckload of copper... Big bucks lost.......

Hey watch it! I grew up in Dateland and graduated from Antelope High! As I recall we ALWAYS kicked Gila Bends butt! Who to you work for APS or SRP? Later John

Hey watch it! I grew up in Dateland and graduated from Antelope High! As I recall we ALWAYS kicked Gila Bends butt! Who to you work for APS or SRP? Later John

When he works he works for things that go toot toot toooooooooooooooot then smash your auto if it is in the way. :D :lol

Desertdawg

Well I grew up in El Paso, and we went all the way to bi-state football my senior year 1-5A school district... So I can't defend the Gila Bend sports program, but I will agree with you about EVERYBODY kicking their butts... :lol

I work for the railroad. rrxing.gif

We were there from 69-89, sis still lives there. I'll be heading to Dateland on the 4th to help with the fireworks, at the grade school. Pretty good show for the middle of the desert!

There have been numerous reports in my area of people stealing copper wire from poles. A couple of years ago at Yuma Proving Ground (where I used to work) someone had climbed a pole and cut a 25 pair copper cable and then attached it to the back of a pickup truck and pulled down over a mile of cable over a weekend and stole it. To the west in El Centro they have had problems with people breaking into power substations and stealing copper buss bars despite the high voltage warnings. Really surprised that they did not get fried doing that at a substation.

I agree that the recycle places should take names and id's of people bringing items like that in for scrap.

Guest 1FASTC4
I agree that the recycle places should take names and id's of people bringing items like that in for scrap.

Actually this was just passed into law. You must show ID, supply an address, and wait 7 days to get paid. This should slow down the thieves some but i imagine there will be recyclers that take the stuff under the table.

Marana Rich

And on good morning arizona tv they showed a piece with a restaurant owner. Someone had cut off the water supply, then took the copper pipe he had running into the building. He said they did 4000 dollars worth of damage to his place for 70 bucks worth of copper...Would have been much worse if they had let the water running..

anmracing2

On a serious note......

That does suck. Nothing is safe anywhere. If someone wants it, they'll take it.... I heard that people are melting pennies for the copper. The copper is worth more than the penny........ wtf.gif

Andrew

Guest Kens06
Actually this was just passed into law. You must show ID, supply an address, and wait 7 days to get paid. This should slow down the thieves some but i imagine there will be recyclers that take the stuff under the table.

Steve,

Since I'm an electrician, I see a lot of copper and scrap!!

I got here in 03 and they have always had a legal process in place for scrap copper!!

To sell more than $30 of copper, you had to have a state issued recycle number.........

Until they start busting the scrap buyers with sting operations and put them in jail, they will continue to break the law! Laws only work when enforced, otherwise they are just words on paper!!

Ken

Steve,

Since I'm an electrician, I see a lot of copper and scrap!!

I got here in 03 and they have always had a legal process in place for scrap copper!!

To sell more than $30 of copper, you had to have a state issued recycle number.........

Until they start busting the scrap buyers with sting operations and put them in jail, they will continue to break the law! Laws only work when enforced, otherwise they are just words on paper!!

Ken

:agree 100%, our politicians are all excited when they pass new laws like this but then don't allocate a dime for new LE, Prosecutors, or Judges. Our judicial system is in overload as it is and they want some more new laws enforced. Somethings going to suffer if they enforce these laws.

Guest Kens06

Well, while not being as sensational in the papers or on TV as a big drug bust, confiscation of monies and property gained through illegal activity is still one heck of a deterrent!!

A couple acres in Phoenix would pull some major $$ at auction and set a tone for the next salvage yard operator that tries to make a few quick bucks!!

Joe and Linda citizen couldn't care less until some crackhead steals the copper out of their A/C unit while they spend the weekend in Flagstaff and come home to 110* weather!! They also can't figure out why the new house they bought is so far behind schedule and over budget!!

I imagine LEO's would treat this assignment right there with busting hookers and Johns!!

My old employer had been hit so many times, the theft deductable is $15K!!

It costs us all in the long run!!

Ken

A bunch, used to make them! First summer job, 1972. Dateland is where Patton and troops trained to fight in desert conditions, ( Africa).

Desertdawg

I've never actually had a date shake, but I have had to stop there and eat many times. right now the food is allot better than it was a few years ago....

I sure do miss the killer sandwiches they used to make at the El Camino!!!! I've been out here since 85.

Guest racingchester

My uncle was in a recon unit in WW2 and was stationed in Hyder. He didn't know how many times they got into Mexico by mistake......

The copper thefts are getting so bad that I read the other day that most Vettes the color of Jack's are being repainted RED. That's why the RED's are becoming more popular in our club! :D

El Camino, what memories. My dad ran Dateland school for those 20 years. Hyder and Whitewing ranches used grow the most table grapes in the country! Ah the good old days, how bout Space Age Lodge? Speaking of the railroad, do you know Bobby Herrara?