Mod Party

SunDevil C5

SunDevil C5

A couple of guys and myself are going to be installing a set of kooks and tunnel plate this weekend and was wondering if there were any available and experienced people interested in lending a hand. I have installed headers before on my f body (pita) so I have some clue but this will be my first major modification on the c5 done by me. I am in need of some helpful hands and possible tools. I have most of the basics but the more the better. If anyone is interested please email me at biznet15@aol.com or call my cell 219-973-9323. I look forward to meeting some of you.

I plan on starting this tomorrow (friday) or saturday morning, depending on whether or not my tunnel plate shows up as scheduled. The location is in southern tempe near elliot and rural. Also snacks and refreshments will be on hand. Thanks!

Damn, no can do on Friday or Saturday. I just started mine today so you could say I have some experience. :lol If you're still at it on Sunday I may be able to help out...need to check with the wife.

I'll post some pics of my progress in my other thread shortly.

I have to work Friday but I'll see what the wife has planned for Sat. I've got a Magnaflow exhaust system to put on myself.

SunDevil C5

Well I'm pushing thte install to start saturday and hopefully finish everything up sunday.

Well I'm pushing thte install to start saturday and hopefully finish everything up sunday.

I'll check with the wife and see if I can help out on Sunday...unless of course I have parts in hand and can finish mine up instead...but I could always wait til Sunday evening Monday morning to do mine. So as long as it's ok with the wife I'll definitely try and be there on Sunday, if there is still work to be done. :thumbs

Ill most likely be busy saturday but Ill help with a few tips. I havent done a set of Kooks in a while on a vette but are similar as others to install.

There will be a ground strap that will need to be removed on the drivers side that goes from the chassis to the block. It will interfere with the header if you dont.

Sometimes depending on the header you can put the passenger side in from the top if you remove the coil packs and valve cover. Youll have to finagle it around the starter wires.

Make sure all bolt are in before tightening (from the center out of course.)

Guest 1FASTC4

Wish I could help but I have family in town this weekend and will not have enough time to drive over from Surprise. Hope it all goes well.

Ill most likely be busy saturday but Ill help with a few tips. I havent done a set of Kooks in a while on a vette but are similar as others to install.

There will be a ground strap that will need to be removed on the drivers side that goes from the chassis to the block. It will interfere with the header if you dont.

Sometimes depending on the header you can put the passenger side in from the top if you remove the coil packs and valve cover. Youll have to finagle it around the starter wires.

I was able to get my passenger side in from the top removing only the coil packs...not the valve cover, but I have LG streets. Drivers side must go in from bottom.

Both coil packs being removed is a big help and allows you to pull both manifolds out from the top as well.

SunDevil C5

Is this steve that had the frc from drd awhile back? Not sure if you remember me from then. I had a black Camaro SS.

Ya I'll take any help I can get. I'll be starting very soon and working all day and evening till tomorrow more than likely.

Yea thats me. I had the beat up black FRC lol. What was your name again?

SunDevil C5

My name is Brian. The viper is a nice upgrade!

Well I got everything pulled off and the tunnel plate installed. For some reason there is no way these headers seem like they're going to fit!!!! The passenger side I pretty much took everything off and no luck. Tried almost every option and idea I could think of. Didn't even try the drivers side. I could really use some expert advice from some of you guys here. Anyone maybe with a lift I could use. It seems thats the only way to do it. Is there some special trick? I need help bad!!!

Thanks.

My name is Brian. The viper is a nice upgrade!

Well I got everything pulled off and the tunnel plate installed. For some reason there is no way these headers seem like they're going to fit!!!! The passenger side I pretty much took everything off and no luck. Tried almost every option and idea I could think of. Didn't even try the drivers side. I could really use some expert advice from some of you guys here. Anyone maybe with a lift I could use. It seems thats the only way to do it. Is there some special trick? I need help bad!!!

Thanks.

The car has to be WAY up in the air because you have to go up with the header at a hard angle to where the collector is almost facing the ground. Try pulling the coil pack and dropping the passenger side in.

SunDevil C5

When I was working on the passenger side I was trying it from the top. I had pulled the following: starter, coil packs, valve cover, spark plugs. Each time I try and shove it down the collector seems to get caught where the starter was and get stuck! Nothing seems to work!

torchredfrc
When I was working on the passenger side I was trying it from the top. I had pulled the following: starter, coil packs, valve cover, spark plugs. Each time I try and shove it down the collector seems to get caught where the starter was and get stuck! Nothing seems to work!

If I would have seen this post ealier I'd make the drive and help you out. I've installed headers more time than I can count on one hand. With the starter removed i can't imagine what would be stopping you from getting the collector into position. Can you post pics of where/how it's stuck?

Matt

SunDevil C5

the car is at my friends house so I can't really get any pics. If your available I would greatly appreciate any help I can get. We're planning on attempting it again this afternoon. Thanks, Brian

SunDevil C5

I'm going to be in the garage so please call me if you would like to join. Let me know what I can do to get someone to pitch in. I'm willing to do anything I can. Thanks guys. Brian (219-973-9323)

SunDevil C5

the drivers side egr tube on my kooks headers has a slight crack at the base of the weld to the header tube. I'm trying to install them today and no shop is open to make the repair. If anyone is available I can make the trip to you to get this fixed today. I greatly appreciate any help I can get. Thanks, Brian Call me since I'll be in the garage more than likely 219-973-9323.

Sorry I was unable to make it today. I sent you and email with my phone number if you want to call and maybe I can help that way.

SunDevil C5

Well this weekend wasn't much of a party. Worked on the passenger side for a total of 5-6 hours and tried everything and nothing was working. So I think I'm going to get it towed to a shop and get it done. Any ideas

I would say don't give up, it can be done. :thumbs I can't see how the Kooks would be so much more difficult than the LG's I just put in. I got mine to slip right like they were lubed up. But I don't really have any free days until the 10th of June (maybe Sunday around 5:00PM). :( I have some evenings free, but I'd have to make sure the kids can stay a little longer at G'ma's house until the wife could pick them up as you are quite a ways away from me. I live way out near Luke AFB.

Most everyone really likes Mike at Arizona Power and Sound. There are some who really like ADS. Those are the two primary shops that people like here.

Keep trying and let us know what you decide. :thumbs

anmracing2
the drivers side egr tube on my kooks headers has a slight crack at the base of the weld to the header tube. I'm trying to install them today and no shop is open to make the repair. If anyone is available I can make the trip to you to get this fixed today. I greatly appreciate any help I can get. Thanks, Brian Call me since I'll be in the garage more than likely 219-973-9323.

Sorry to hear about your probs. We were gone all weekend so I didn't see that you were having issues till today. I also responded to the other thread. If you still need help, let me know. I have a mig welder and I just need to get some stainless wire and we can try it on Thursday. That is when I'm off again.

Unless you already have this resolved. In that case, never mind..... :D

Andrew

602/762.0348

Guest AZ Power & Sound

Let me know if I can help! I can weld the broken air tube and finish the install :)

SunDevil C5

I called tuesday and left a message but no returned call. But thanks

Let me know if I can help! I can weld the broken air tube and finish the install :)